Computers: Can't live with 'em, can't live w/o 'em. (WAS: RE: [MEFAwards] Onthe Verge of Something Big)

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
      Well, I've got other fish to fry before I work on this much more (except at
      work). My fun day with computer technology turned out to be a very not fun
      evening with it. And it kept me from my training walk (for the marathon).

      Not only will my domain still not work correctly (though an FTP and web
      server will), but one of my computers crapped out on me. All I did was take
      out it's non-working CD Rom and replace the video card with a better one a
      friend had given me. I plugged it back in and it wouldn't show up on the
      monitor. So I thought bad video card, despite the fact that it didn't beep
      at me. I put my video card back in. Same problem. I tried two old video
      cards I had in storage (yep, I'm a hardware hoarder): an AGP and an ISA.
      Neither of those worked. I had my server's case open already so I tried all
      three of the AGP video cards in it. Mine and the friend's didn't work (and
      did beep), but the old AGP card did. So I tried the server's video card in
      the recalcitrant computer. Still the same.

      Diagnosis: Bad motherboard and two bad video cards.

      Fun, huh? Not that I can really afford a new motherboard or video card just
      now....

      Gotta find a motherboard cheap and maybe that old AGP card will still work
      on it.

      On the bright side, my other clients do still work and I've switched the
      software for GoToMyPC.com from the dead computer to the one I'm typing on
      just now. It can browse the server, but the server can't browse it. Which
      brings me back to the network problems I had last night.

      If there are any fellow techies out there who understand Active Directory,
      could we maybe IM tomorrow to see if you can help me figure out what's going
      on with my LAN? I thought AD was supposed to be an improvement. One of the
      network admins at work thought it might be the DNS. So we edited that.
      Then when I got home, I put both clients on to Workgroup so I could then add
      them to the domain from there. No such luck. I keep being told the domain
      could not be found or connected. Even from the server itself. Very
      annoying. And my computers were then stuck off the LAN. The one died
      before I could try and get it back on. I was able to restart the server in
      NT 4.0 server and thus rejoin my LAN from this computer. Then I rebooted
      the server back into Win2K and I'm back to where I was before I tweaked the
      DNS.

      Sigh.

      Can't do the ftp thing in NT 4. That's what started this whole ball rolling
      and the eventual upgrade to Win2K server. But to get it to know it was a
      domain controller I had to promote it and that started Active Directory

      And wouldn't you know, all my files for the Train to End Stroke campaign are
      on the dead computer. You think I wouldn't be so upset about one computer
      being down when I still have three I can use here at home. But I do
      different things on each computer. Like this one is used for reading about
      5 of my e-mail addresses and Ainaechoiriel's IM. I checked my Trek address
      and my Pampered Chef one and the Gmail account I use for Train to End Stroke
      stuff on the now-dead pc, and Tarlingen's IM. I'd browse over here while
      watching TV over there, etc.

      And over there is where the printer was attached. I miss my computer. :-(

      --Ainaechoiriel
      MEFA Admin and Founder

      http://home.earthlink.net/~ainae/mefa The Middle-Earth Fanfiction Awards
      Blog: http://www.ainaechoiriel.blogspot.com