Onthe Verge of Something Big

  • ainaechoiriel
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
      To me anyway.

      I have just figured out how to host my own web site!!!!!!

      Not to get too excited yet, but I've tested it by pointing it to the
      MEFA site on my hard drive. And it worked.

      You can go to http://24.145.167.102/index.html

      and see the MEFA site!

      But notice that IP address there. It is not a static address. It
      will change from time to time because it's my WAN IP leased to me by
      Earthlink.

      So I've got to look around for a free (I'm far too poor to pay for
      anything) service that will link a domain *name* to my changing IP
      address. I hear dydns is a good place to start.

      So here's a question, would you all mind if I moved the MEFA web site
      from the present earthlink.net address to my own server once I figure
      this out?

      Or shall I just keep them both up until this Awards year is finished
      and migrate for next year?

      --Ainaechoiriel
      happy web master today!
    • Dawn Martinez-Byrne
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
        Go for it!
        khazar
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Larian Elensar
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
          I'd say leave it at earthlink til after this year is done. Might be a few
          websites that have it linked from there...

          --- ainaechoiriel <mefaadmin@...> wrote:

          > So here's a question, would you all mind if I moved the MEFA web site
          > from the present earthlink.net address to my own server once I figure
          > this out?
          >
          > Or shall I just keep them both up until this Awards year is finished
          > and migrate for next year?
          >
          > --Ainaechoiriel
          > happy web master today!

          =====
          Larian
          larian_elensar@...
          Keeper of the OEAM archive http://www.ofelvesandmen.com
          Archive addy archive@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
            Thanky you, Khazar, for the encouragement. I'm at work, so I haven't had
            time to look up the dydns stuff yet, but I will soon. I'm having far too
            much fun. ;-)

            Good point. It's really not hard for me to update both, so they will both be
            available for now. My site points righ to the files that I upload to
            Earthlink anyway. ;-) I won't bother changing any of the links just yet.
            Next year though...

            I was a little worried that we were running out of space for the Awards
            banners, so now I won't have to worry about it for awhile. ;-)

            I also figured out how to host my own FTP site. :-D And news
            server...though I haven't tested that one yet.

            http://www.stormpages.com/gabrielle/lotr Land of Myth and Memory
            Blog: http://www.ainaechoiriel.blogspot.com
          • Larian Elensar
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
              > Good point. It's really not hard for me to update both, so they will both be
              > available for now. My site points righ to the files that I upload to
              > Earthlink anyway. ;-) I won't bother changing any of the links just yet.
              > Next year though...
              >
              > I was a little worried that we were running out of space for the Awards
              > banners, so now I won't have to worry about it for awhile. ;-)
              >
              > I also figured out how to host my own FTP site. :-D And news
              > server...though I haven't tested that one yet.

              Cool. I always like when I fnd geeky new things to play with too..*Grin*
            • Sally Miller
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
                I vote for whatever is easiest on you! But I admit that this is far more technical that I am able to understand, for I am totally technically challenged. But I still vote on whatever is easier on you! Make life easier is MY motto!

                ainaechoiriel <mefaadmin@...> wrote:To me anyway.

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Chathol-linn
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
                  Sally speaks for me. You've done so much work on this thing, you be the
                  judge. Thanks - Chathol-linn

[...]

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129sgbt2n/M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/
                  D=groups/S=1705213040:HM/EXP=1093992180/A=2319498/R=0/SIG=11thfntfp/*htt
                  p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185352&partid=5285298> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5285298.6392945.3001176/D=group
                  s/S=:HM/A=2319498/rand=435508489>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Naresha
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
                    I agree with Larian on this one. I know I've got
                    all my stuff linked to this site and for reasons
                    known only to my website, any time I try to
                    change the links, it f***s up royally!!! But
                    that's just mine. On a more objective note, I
                    think it would probably be a lot easier to wait
                    until this year's is done, simply to give
                    yourself less work to do. Start it when this one
                    is finished, that way you don't have to rush
                    anything for any reason. Ultimately, it's your
                    decision. Just let us all know what the new link
                    would be if it changes if you don't mind!!! :)

                    Naresha

                    --- Larian Elensar <larian_elensar@...>
                    wrote:

                    ---------------------------------
                    I'd say leave it at earthlink til after this year
                    is done. Might be a few
                    websites that have it linked from there...

                    =====
                    ~To forgive calls upon our love, to forget calls upon our strength~

                    AIM: Naresha21 MSN: candyman_gypsy@...
                    ICQ: 142117881 Yahoo: fruitcake5m1
                    Personal LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/nareshaninya/
                    Writing LJ: http://www.livejournal.com/users/writingsofresha/

                    My Website! Slash Me Happy
                    http://www.websamba.com/SlashMeHappy

                    http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=Resha

                    http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 30, 2004
                      Well, I've got other fish to fry before I work on this much more (except at
                      work). My fun day with computer technology turned out to be a very not fun
                      evening with it. And it kept me from my training walk (for the marathon).

                      Not only will my domain still not work correctly (though an FTP and web
                      server will), but one of my computers crapped out on me. All I did was take
                      out it's non-working CD Rom and replace the video card with a better one a
                      friend had given me. I plugged it back in and it wouldn't show up on the
                      monitor. So I thought bad video card, despite the fact that it didn't beep
                      at me. I put my video card back in. Same problem. I tried two old video
                      cards I had in storage (yep, I'm a hardware hoarder): an AGP and an ISA.
                      Neither of those worked. I had my server's case open already so I tried all
                      three of the AGP video cards in it. Mine and the friend's didn't work (and
                      did beep), but the old AGP card did. So I tried the server's video card in
                      the recalcitrant computer. Still the same.

                      Diagnosis: Bad motherboard and two bad video cards.

                      Fun, huh? Not that I can really afford a new motherboard or video card just
                      now....

                      Gotta find a motherboard cheap and maybe that old AGP card will still work
                      on it.

                      On the bright side, my other clients do still work and I've switched the
                      software for GoToMyPC.com from the dead computer to the one I'm typing on
                      just now. It can browse the server, but the server can't browse it. Which
                      brings me back to the network problems I had last night.

                      If there are any fellow techies out there who understand Active Directory,
                      could we maybe IM tomorrow to see if you can help me figure out what's going
                      on with my LAN? I thought AD was supposed to be an improvement. One of the
                      network admins at work thought it might be the DNS. So we edited that.
                      Then when I got home, I put both clients on to Workgroup so I could then add
                      them to the domain from there. No such luck. I keep being told the domain
                      could not be found or connected. Even from the server itself. Very
                      annoying. And my computers were then stuck off the LAN. The one died
                      before I could try and get it back on. I was able to restart the server in
                      NT 4.0 server and thus rejoin my LAN from this computer. Then I rebooted
                      the server back into Win2K and I'm back to where I was before I tweaked the
                      DNS.

                      Sigh.

                      Can't do the ftp thing in NT 4. That's what started this whole ball rolling
                      and the eventual upgrade to Win2K server. But to get it to know it was a
                      domain controller I had to promote it and that started Active Directory

                      And wouldn't you know, all my files for the Train to End Stroke campaign are
                      on the dead computer. You think I wouldn't be so upset about one computer
                      being down when I still have three I can use here at home. But I do
                      different things on each computer. Like this one is used for reading about
                      5 of my e-mail addresses and Ainaechoiriel's IM. I checked my Trek address
                      and my Pampered Chef one and the Gmail account I use for Train to End Stroke
                      stuff on the now-dead pc, and Tarlingen's IM. I'd browse over here while
                      watching TV over there, etc.

                      And over there is where the printer was attached. I miss my computer. :-(

                      --Ainaechoiriel
                      MEFA Admin and Founder

                      http://home.earthlink.net/~ainae/mefa The Middle-Earth Fanfiction Awards