Announcement from Aranel: Cancellation of MEFAs

  • Aranel
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to have to step in and end the possibility of a 2012 MEFAs.

      This decision is my own. I informed Marta, Elliska, and Inkling today that I am unable to continue supporting the website. There are still some bugs to be worked out, we've been having database issues with the hosting company, and with everything that's been going on I haven't been able to give the site my full attention to have it totally ready to go. It's become too much stress to deal with and it's negatively affecting my Real Life. Real Life has to take priority.

      The site is in a condition that it is impossible for someone else to take it over at this point for a 2012 awards. There are still a lot of things to do for updating the post-nominations seasons. There are still bugs from the new updates to work out. I have been the only tech support person for the last year or so, so nobody else is familiar with it. I am also the worst code documenter in the universe (if there was an Olympics for crappy code documentation, I would win the gold!), so it would be no easy task for someone else to take over the updates and bug fixes.

      I will still host the MEFA Archive and I will finish updating the 2011 stories as soon as possible (after a break to de-stress).

      I know many will be disappointed in me, probably very angry with me, and I am truly sorry. But I know there are others already planning new awards, so I suggest taking your ire with me and focusing that energy on helping them out or starting new awards.

      I will preemptively address transferring the site code to someone else: Honestly, I'm a bit selfish about it and I'm really not willing to give away the work I've done. I also don't want to have to support the code (see: crappy documentation). And, really, your tech support and your users will be much happier if you decide what you want in your awards and then design your own site from the ground-up to do exactly what you want. It will work much better than trying to adapt someone else's code to fit your plans.

      I ask that you please respect my decision and not try to persuade me to change my mind on anything I've said.

      Apologies,
      Aranel Took
    • Vivian Mills
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
        Thank you for all your hardwork, Aranel.

        --
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
        and those who matter don't mind."

      • juno_magic
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
          I've voted for ending the MEFAs right now, so I'm fine with that decsision.

          Also, fandom is supposed to be fun. Keeping up archives and awards sites is hard work. When it's no more fun but only stress and it starts affecting offline life in a negative way, it's time to stop. So I totally understand and support that decision.

          I also understand and support your decision concerning the site and the code. While I'm not a web developer, I enjoy web design. Code can be just as much of a baby as fanfic. But much more important, I think it's a great opportunity to start with a clean slate, and from what I've seen so far, there are great ideas being discussed with much enthusiasm.

          As Marta suggested, just because the time of the MEFAs is over does not mean that the spirit of the MEFAs is dead. Maybe it's just time for something new -- in time for the new movies of "The Hobbit".

          Once more I can only say, thank you. Thank you for all you've done for the MEFAs and this fandom community. I hope that in time, fandom will be fun for you again. *hugs*

          ~Juno

          --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "Aranel" <araneltook@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to have to step in and end the possibility of a 2012 MEFAs.

          <snip>
          > It's become too much stress to deal with and it's negatively affecting my Real Life. Real Life has to take priority.

          <snip>
          > Apologies,
          > Aranel Took

        • Sulriel of Menegroth
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
            As sad as I am to hear this, i understand and respect your decision. I
            understand how difficult the entire situation is with all the ripples and
            nuances (to say the least). You have my utmost respect and admiration for
            all you have done for the fandom and the MEFAs thse last few years.
            * **
            *Becky Burkheart*
            *Write Horses Right ~ avoid the The 33 Worst Mistakes Writers Make About
            Horses<http://aconspiracyofauthors.com/acoajoom/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=77>

            *Short and Twisted Fairy
            Tales<http://www.amazon.com/Short-Twisted-Fairy-Tales-ebook/dp/B008C33UEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340341155&sr=1-1>
            Unique
            twists on seven classic fairy tales*

            On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Aranel <araneltook@...> wrote:

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to have to step in
            > and end the possibility of a 2012 MEFAs.
            >
            > This decision is my own. I informed Marta, Elliska, and Inkling today that
            > I am unable to continue supporting the website. There are still some bugs
            > to be worked out, we've been having database issues with the hosting
            > company, and with everything that's been going on I haven't been able to
            > give the site my full attention to have it totally ready to go. It's become
            > too much stress to deal with and it's negatively affecting my Real Life.
            > Real Life has to take priority.
            >
            > The site is in a condition that it is impossible for someone else to take
            > it over at this point for a 2012 awards. There are still a lot of things to
            > do for updating the post-nominations seasons. There are still bugs from the
            > new updates to work out. I have been the only tech support person for the
            > last year or so, so nobody else is familiar with it. I am also the worst
            > code documenter in the universe (if there was an Olympics for crappy code
            > documentation, I would win the gold!), so it would be no easy task for
            > someone else to take over the updates and bug fixes.
            >
            > I will still host the MEFA Archive and I will finish updating the 2011
            > stories as soon as possible (after a break to de-stress).
            >
            > I know many will be disappointed in me, probably very angry with me, and I
            > am truly sorry. But I know there are others already planning new awards, so
            > I suggest taking your ire with me and focusing that energy on helping them
            > out or starting new awards.
            >
            > I will preemptively address transferring the site code to someone else:
            > Honestly, I'm a bit selfish about it and I'm really not willing to give
            > away the work I've done. I also don't want to have to support the code
            > (see: crappy documentation). And, really, your tech support and your users
            > will be much happier if you decide what you want in your awards and then
            > design your own site from the ground-up to do exactly what you want. It
            > will work much better than trying to adapt someone else's code to fit your
            > plans.
            >
            > I ask that you please respect my decision and not try to persuade me to
            > change my mind on anything I've said.
            >
            > Apologies,
            > Aranel Took

          • Barbara Rich
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
              Aranel, I think this year's MEFAs were just dumped on by Murphy's Law--
              perhaps a sign that they have run their course. I have loved and enjoyed
              them ever since they started and would be happy if a sudden miracle came
              along to fix everything. (Where's a fairy godmother when you need one?)

              But realistically it's not going to happen, and you have to do what you
              have to do.

              I hope that people will not go away with their heads hanging down and
              berating themselves; you, Marta, Elliska, Inkling, Tanaqui and others have
              done the heavy lifting of the MEFAs for years. There will be opportunities
              for something new-- I hope that everyone will take a breath and rest up if
              they need to-- but be glad to jump in and lend a hand when they are
              refreshed.

              While I am sad that we won't have one last season, I am not at all angry.

              ((((((((hugs)))))))))
              Dreamflower

              On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Aranel <araneltook@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to have to step in
              > and end the possibility of a 2012 MEFAs.
              >
              > This decision is my own. I informed Marta, Elliska, and Inkling today that
              > I am unable to continue supporting the website. There are still some bugs
              > to be worked out, we've been having database issues with the hosting
              > company, and with everything that's been going on I haven't been able to
              > give the site my full attention to have it totally ready to go. It's become
              > too much stress to deal with and it's negatively affecting my Real Life.
              > Real Life has to take priority.
              >
              > The site is in a condition that it is impossible for someone else to take
              > it over at this point for a 2012 awards. There are still a lot of things to
              > do for updating the post-nominations seasons. There are still bugs from the
              > new updates to work out. I have been the only tech support person for the
              > last year or so, so nobody else is familiar with it. I am also the worst
              > code documenter in the universe (if there was an Olympics for crappy code
              > documentation, I would win the gold!), so it would be no easy task for
              > someone else to take over the updates and bug fixes.
              >
              > I will still host the MEFA Archive and I will finish updating the 2011
              > stories as soon as possible (after a break to de-stress).
              >
              > I know many will be disappointed in me, probably very angry with me, and I
              > am truly sorry. But I know there are others already planning new awards, so
              > I suggest taking your ire with me and focusing that energy on helping them
              > out or starting new awards.
              >
              > I will preemptively address transferring the site code to someone else:
              > Honestly, I'm a bit selfish about it and I'm really not willing to give
              > away the work I've done. I also don't want to have to support the code
              > (see: crappy documentation). And, really, your tech support and your users
              > will be much happier if you decide what you want in your awards and then
              > design your own site from the ground-up to do exactly what you want. It
              > will work much better than trying to adapt someone else's code to fit your
              > plans.
              >
              > I ask that you please respect my decision and not try to persuade me to
              > change my mind on anything I've said.
              >
              > Apologies,
              > Aranel Took

            • Elena Tiriel
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
                Thank you for all the hard work you've put into the MEFAs, Aranel. I
                understand and respect your decision.

                - Barbara

              • nau_tika
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
                  I'll really miss the MEFAs, even though I havent been active the past couple of years. I certainly understand your decision and I'm sorry it came to this. Please know that the work all the volunteers, and especially the core volunteers, have always been appreciated.

                  Enjoy all the free time you now have!

                  nautika

                  --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "Aranel" <araneltook@...> wrote:

                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to have to step in and end the possibility of a 2012 MEFAs.
                  >
                  > This decision is my own. I informed Marta, Elliska, and Inkling today that I am unable to continue supporting the website. There are still some bugs to be worked out, we've been having database issues with the hosting company, and with everything that's been going on I haven't been able to give the site my full attention to have it totally ready to go. It's become too much stress to deal with and it's negatively affecting my Real Life. Real Life has to take priority.
                  >
                  > The site is in a condition that it is impossible for someone else to take it over at this point for a 2012 awards. There are still a lot of things to do for updating the post-nominations seasons. There are still bugs from the new updates to work out. I have been the only tech support person for the last year or so, so nobody else is familiar with it. I am also the worst code documenter in the universe (if there was an Olympics for crappy code documentation, I would win the gold!), so it would be no easy task for someone else to take over the updates and bug fixes.
                  >
                  > I will still host the MEFA Archive and I will finish updating the 2011 stories as soon as possible (after a break to de-stress).
                  >
                  > I know many will be disappointed in me, probably very angry with me, and I am truly sorry. But I know there are others already planning new awards, so I suggest taking your ire with me and focusing that energy on helping them out or starting new awards.
                  >
                  > I will preemptively address transferring the site code to someone else: Honestly, I'm a bit selfish about it and I'm really not willing to give away the work I've done. I also don't want to have to support the code (see: crappy documentation). And, really, your tech support and your users will be much happier if you decide what you want in your awards and then design your own site from the ground-up to do exactly what you want. It will work much better than trying to adapt someone else's code to fit your plans.
                  >
                  > I ask that you please respect my decision and not try to persuade me to change my mind on anything I've said.
                  >
                  > Apologies,
                  > Aranel Took

                • Elizabeth Nield
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
                    You all worked hard on the MEFAs, and I'm glad to have been able to be in them, even if it was only two years. I wish everyone luck on future endeavors, and hope this won't ruin the fandom. Thank you all for doing the MEFAs for us. :)

                    Kaylee Arafinwiel

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
                      I am not angry toward those who have worked to make the MEFAs happen, although I
                      am understandably disappointed, particularly as I have been collecting stories
                      I've wished to nominate for much of this last year!

                      But I am more disappointed at those who made a mountain out of a few grains of
                      sand, and who sent hate mail to our volunteers and administrators. It was poor
                      return for all that they have done over the past few years to make the MEFAs an
                      event to respect.

                      Thank all of you once more for doing your best and indeed making the MEFAs a
                      competition we have been for the most part proud to take part in. As one who
                      has labored to write usable softward in dBase3+, I know how difficult it was to
                      get a simple UPS program written so my husband could use it independently (he
                      was totally blind). To do all that is involved in coding the site is amazing!
                      Thank you all, and particularly Aranel and those who have helped her with the
                      site, and Marta, who's kept the contest going all of these years. I bow to all
                      of you!
                      Bonnie L. Sherrell
                      Teacher at Large

                      "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

                      "Don't go where I can't follow."
                    • Ellin Ithilwen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2012
                        Thank you for everything you have done for MEFA and for the fandom, Aranel.

                        Ellynn

                        ________________________________
                          I must confess that I haven't been an active participant of MEFAs all these years, mostly because real life always seemed to get in the way and keep me busy. However, I admire the effort and love you have put in these awards and I am very saddened by your decision to cancel them -although, I completely understand the reasons behind it.

                          I had waited until my last story was finished (that being almost five years now) and finally plucked up the courage to nominate it, but it seems it wasn't meant to be. Still, I would like to thank you for everything you have done for these awards; I have discovered many little treasures among the winners.

                          -Silent Niobe

                          --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "Aranel" <araneltook@...> wrote:

                          > Hello everyone,
                          >
                          > I'm sad to be the bearer of bad news, but I am going to have to step in and end the possibility of a 2012 MEFAs.
                          >
                          > This decision is my own. I informed Marta, Elliska, and Inkling today that I am unable to continue supporting the website. There are still some bugs to be worked out, we've been having database issues with the hosting company, and with everything that's been going on I haven't been able to give the site my full attention to have it totally ready to go. It's become too much stress to deal with and it's negatively affecting my Real Life. Real Life has to take priority.
                          >
                          > The site is in a condition that it is impossible for someone else to take it over at this point for a 2012 awards. There are still a lot of things to do for updating the post-nominations seasons. There are still bugs from the new updates to work out. I have been the only tech support person for the last year or so, so nobody else is familiar with it. I am also the worst code documenter in the universe (if there was an Olympics for crappy code documentation, I would win the gold!), so it would be no easy task for someone else to take over the updates and bug fixes.
                          >
                          > I will still host the MEFA Archive and I will finish updating the 2011 stories as soon as possible (after a break to de-stress).
                          >
                          > I know many will be disappointed in me, probably very angry with me, and I am truly sorry. But I know there are others already planning new awards, so I suggest taking your ire with me and focusing that energy on helping them out or starting new awards.
                          >
                          > I will preemptively address transferring the site code to someone else: Honestly, I'm a bit selfish about it and I'm really not willing to give away the work I've done. I also don't want to have to support the code (see: crappy documentation). And, really, your tech support and your users will be much happier if you decide what you want in your awards and then design your own site from the ground-up to do exactly what you want. It will work much better than trying to adapt someone else's code to fit your plans.
                          >
                          > I ask that you please respect my decision and not try to persuade me to change my mind on anything I've said.
                          >
                          > Apologies,
                          > Aranel Took

                        • Aranel
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
                            Hello everyone,

                            Thank you all for your words of support. It makes me feel much better about my decision and it means a lot to me the hear it. I was expecting to have to hide out in a Doomsday bunker. ;-)

                            I'm still sorry it had to end this way, but hopefully we can all move on now.

                            Thank you,
                            Aranel
                          • Wheelrider
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 4, 2012
                              Adding my thanks to all the volunteers who have put so much of themselves into the MEFAs!

                              It's unfortunate that there has been some acrimony, but it's a natural product of everyone caring so much about their contributions, and of the limitations of typing at one another. If we could have all gathered in a big room with a neutral moderator it might have gone down differently.

                              It's also a fact that volunteer-based activities have high turnover -- in fact, they need to, to avoid burnout.

                              But it sounds like things are evolving quickly past this.

                              Wheelrider