Re: a difficult decision, and a poll

  • nelyo_russandol
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 3, 2012
      I'm sorry to hear that someone has attacked elliska. She's been my liaison during the two MEFA season I competed, and always hepful when I first faced the nominations process.

      The MEFAs have been an excellent way to discover many great authors and stories. I appreciate all the effort that has gone behind the scenes to make them possible. I was looking forward to competing this year again. Then the new ratings came as a shock. I won't repeat myself here as to why I would have liked to see the policy changed, all of it was detailed in the letters we posted here (I signed both) to raise our concern and urge to agree a solution that would satisfy all of us.

      Now I'm stunned by a poll that only considers the two extreme alternatives, when clearly there are options in the middle. Several may have been rejected as too lengthy to implement.

      Why not restore the site to the backup from the start of the 2011 awards, with the old ratings system? If you are concerned about stories that might need to be pulled out at the very last minute because of ratings issues, why not simply give a time limit to all complaints, and commit to a timely period to address them? No extra coding would be required, as the complaints' procedure is all manual. I know there were glitches, but they were not atrocious to live with.

      The start of the MEFAs 2012 has been delayed for an extra six days, surely there's enough time to restore the previous code, point to a fresh copy of the database and tidy up any lose ends?

      Can this option be considered, and maybe added to the poll?

      Message 35 of 35 , Jul 3, 2012
        And I, too, thank all who have contributed to the MEFAs since its inception, and
        particularly Marta and Elliska.
        Bonnie L. Sherrell
        Teacher at Large

        "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

        "Don't go where I can't follow."