New MEFA Ratings Discussion Community in LJ

  • nelyo_russandol
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
      [Note: This letter represents the collective position of the MEFA
      participants listed below.]

      Following on from the letter we posted here at the MEFAwards Yahoo
      Groups on 29th June 2012, titled "MEFAwards 2012 Ratings System:
      Objections and Alternative Proposals"
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MEFAwards/message/11147> , and from the
      MEFAwards Admin response
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MEFAwards/message/11148> , the ensuing
      debate involving a wide range of members suggests that there is an
      immediate need for a forum in a user-friendly venue to openly discuss
      the issues raised about the current ratings policy. The ultimate
      objective of this discussion is the agreement on a new, improved policy
      and procedure for the MEFA Awards in the 2013 season.

      We recognise the pressures that the opening of the current 2012 season
      of the awards will place on the MEFA Admin team in the short term, but
      we believe it is crucial that the discussion is not delayed until
      September, as it has been proposed by the Admin team. A postponement of
      this discussion might result in an undesirable reduction of the current
      level of engagement by all parties and perhaps cause an erroneous
      perception about the matter being settled, implying acceptance of the
      2012 policy for subsequent years.

      Therefore, we have created a new MEFA Ratings Discussion Community
      <http://mefa-ratings.livejournal.com/> on LJ, fully open to posts and
      comments by all, so as to encourage wide participation in the debate
      from as many MEFA members as possible. After quick consultation, it was
      apparent that LJ will improve usability over the current forum based on
      the Yahoo Groups platform. Equally, though we appreciate the new post
      about the topic in the MEFA LJ community, participants can only comment
      on the existing entry, and soon it will prove cumbersome to everyone to
      navigate through a large single thread.

      We urge the MEFA Admin team to join us in the MEFA Ratings Discussion
      Community <http://mefa-ratings.livejournal.com/> where they will be
      most welcome at all times, and we look forward to collectively
      discussing and agreeing the best option for the implementation of new
      and simplified ratings policy and procedure in 2013.

      Signed,

      Aeärwen
      Elfscribe
      Elleth
      Grey Gazania
      Jael
      Kimberleighe
      Oshun
      Pandemonium_213
      Russandol
      Samtyr
      Scarlet10
      Spiced Wine
      Surgical Steel
      The Lauderdale

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hello Russandol and all,

        As I have previously explained, I'm not able to follow a detailed policy
        discussion on the eve of the new awards, especially with my own RL
        obligations right now. I did make one post to the [mefas] LJ community that
        several people have used to discuss the new content advisory policy. I
        actually had asked people not to to debate the policy now, but I haven't
        stopped people from doing that in that LJ post.

        We need this Yahoo group to focus on the business of running the awards -
        new authors and voters will join it to find out how things actually are run
        this year, and to get help as they try to find their way around a complex
        site. The LJ community also serves a similar purpose for those people more
        comfortable with LJ than Yahoo.

        If you and the other people interested in how the MEFA handles ratings want
        to discuss it among yourself, that's of course your right. Anyone who wants
        to should feel free to do that on their own.

        Marta

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012

          > If you and the other people interested in how the MEFA handles ratings
          > want to discuss it among yourself, that's of course your right. Anyone who
          > wants to should feel free to do that on their own.

          I accidentally hit "send" instead of the backspace key; my apologies.
          *head/desk* I meant to say:

          If you and other people interested in how the MEFA handles ratings want to
          discuss it among yourself, that's of course your right. Anyone who wants to
          should feel free to do so in the group provided or on their own. However, I
          won't personally be able to participate.