Re: a few more volunteers needed

  • Wheelrider
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2012
      Hi,

      I don't really know much about the awards, but I could probably handle being an alternate for the ratings panel...?

      Wheelrider

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2012
        Hi Becky,

        This actually is a bit off-topic and so I don't want to discuss it here
        (though I'm sure you meant well!).

        If you want to approach artists who have worked with the MEFAs privately,
        that's fine. Just make clear that this isn't actually through the MEFAs;
        that's simply how you heard of them. You might also want to do a bit of
        poking around for archives of Tolkien fan art; one that jumps to mind is
        the #Tolkien group at DeviantArt ( http://tolkien.deviantart.com/). There
        are probably other sites; just do a search for "tolkien fan art" or
        something. You could find art you like and approach the artist directly to
        see if they are interested in helping you.

        Good luck!

        Marta

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2012
          Hi Wheelrider,

          I actually think we're okay. Our only real needs at this point are more
          banner makers and promoters. Unless you're interested in helping out in one
          of those roles, why don't you just focus on nominating and voting for
          stories?

          Marta

          On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM, Wheelrider <ringingwood@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I don't really know much about the awards, but I could probably handle
          > being an alternate for the ratings panel...?
          >
          > Wheelrider
          >

          > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Marta <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings, all.
          > >
          > > The MEFAs could really use one more ratings panel volunteer. We
          > > currently have six volunteers, which is enough to give us two panels
          > > running at the same time (meaning less work for everyone, a definite
          > > plus). However I'd like to find one more person to be an "alternate."
          > > This basically means that if a story comes through where one of our
          > > rating panel members feels he or she has a conflict of interest (or
          > > just no time!) and so can't read it, the alternate jumps in.
          > >
          > > Anyone interested in doing that?
          > >
          > > More generally, if you're interested in promoting or making banners
          > > (or know anyone who might be), we could still use some help there.
          > > just let me know. Also, there are two roles I didn't mention earlier
          > > that it would be nice to get volunteers for.
          > >
          > > 1. The WELCOME MANAGER emails new members to welcome them to the
          > > awards and answer any questions they have. So obviously it helps to
          > > know a thing or two about the awards, but not necessarily everything;
          > > you can always pass any questions you're not sure about to me. Most of
          > > the questions are pretty basic - how do I find stories about Boromir,
          > > how can I change a saved vote, that kind of thing. The big commitment
          > > is time; you'd need to check in once or twice a week from now until
          > > January 31.
          > >
          > > 2. The BANNER COORDINATOR basically organizes the banners. You should
          > > email the banner-makers every so often and make sure we have a good
          > > variety. Also they'd email you first if they have any questions (but
          > > you can also of course contact me if you have any questions). This can
          > > be one of the banner-makers if any of them are interested, but it can
          > > also be someone completely different.
          > >
          > > And we can always use more banner makers and promoters. We have a few
          > > of both types, but could use more.
          > >
          > > If you're interested in any of this, please let me know. Either reply
          > > here, or send me a private email to mefasupportATgmailDOTcom.
          > >
          > > Marta

        • Wheelrider
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 25, 2012
            OK! I can certainly handle nominating and voting. (Sorry, I wouldn't be much use making banners or promoting.)