Re: [MEFAwards] Smaug's Treasures

  • Aranel Took
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
      Hi Ellyn,

      Do whatever you like with any of the graphics I put on the site. Just email
      me if you want to use something, and I can get you either a larger and/or
      higher quality .png, the Photoshop file I work from, or the source
      material.

      Aranel

      On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Ellin Ithilwen <ellin_revenger@...>wrote:

      > So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it,
      > but wasn't sure.
      >
      > Ellyn
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Ellin Ithilwen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
        It's not the problem for me to work with the graphic, but this whole thing with Smaug's treasure banners is confusing me. *What* is the right thing to be done? I've made the whole set of banners (all 70-and-something categories) with the inscription "Smaug's treasure", but that doesn't seem to be the right thing. What should I (we) do? Add the dragon-icon to "normal" banners (those with inscriptions 1st, 2nd 3rd place and HM)?  Or...?

        Ellyn

        ________________________________
        Do whatever you like with any of the graphics I put on the site. Just email
        me if you want to use something, and I can get you either a larger and/or
        higher quality .png, the Photoshop file I work from, or the source
        material.

        Aranel

        On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Ellin Ithilwen <ellin_revenger@...>wrote:

        > So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it,
        > but wasn't sure.
        >
        > Ellyn
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Aranel Took
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
          Hi Ellyn,

          Smaug's Treasure is a general award, like Commended Reviewer. It's not by
          category.

          You don't have to use the icon from the site. That's just something I did
          to jazz up the place. You can use it if you like, or do whatever kind of
          banner you want to do.

          If someone wanted, I suppose you could add the dragon icon to their
          existing 1st/2nd/3rd/HM banner as part of customization, too. Then they
          could have both on one banner. But that would be up to the individual
          story. Not every story with a placing necessarily gets a Smaug, and you can
          get a Smaug without getting a placing.

          Marta can probably clarify this better, so you should probably contact her
          about this.

          Aranel

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
            Hi Ellynn,

            I'm sorry for all of the confusion on this; I should really have talked
            to you about this last week when I was looking over your banners, but I
            didn't want to make more work for you than you'd already done.

            Smaug's Treasures are not, strictly speaking, an award of a certain
            subcategory. A piece gets a Smaug's Treasure if it ranks in the top
            third of all the nominations. This year, that meant it got thirty-six
            points or more. The exact amount will change from year to year, but what
            WON'T change is that it has nothing to do with how many points the other
            stories in its subcategory got. Now, it looks a lot like a subcategory
            award because that's how we report the results for everything else. But
            it's not strictly accurate to say such-and-such an award got a Smaug's
            Treasure award in (say) Hobbits: Bagginses. The Smaug's Treasure award
            isn't *in* any category.

            I don't have a problem with Smaug's Treasure banners listing the
            subcategory. All stories have a subcategory after all, and some people
            might prefer that kind of banner. But it's certainly not required.

            Marta