Re: [MEFAwards] Smaug's Treasures

  • Ellin Ithilwen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
      So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it, but wasn't sure.

      Ellyn

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
        Hi Ellyn,

        Do whatever you like with any of the graphics I put on the site. Just email
        me if you want to use something, and I can get you either a larger and/or
        higher quality .png, the Photoshop file I work from, or the source
        material.

        Aranel

        On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Ellin Ithilwen <ellin_revenger@...>wrote:

        > So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it,
        > but wasn't sure.
        >
        > Ellyn
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Ellin Ithilwen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
          It's not the problem for me to work with the graphic, but this whole thing with Smaug's treasure banners is confusing me. *What* is the right thing to be done? I've made the whole set of banners (all 70-and-something categories) with the inscription "Smaug's treasure", but that doesn't seem to be the right thing. What should I (we) do? Add the dragon-icon to "normal" banners (those with inscriptions 1st, 2nd 3rd place and HM)?  Or...?

          Ellyn

          ________________________________
          Do whatever you like with any of the graphics I put on the site. Just email
          me if you want to use something, and I can get you either a larger and/or
          higher quality .png, the Photoshop file I work from, or the source
          material.

          Aranel

          On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Ellin Ithilwen <ellin_revenger@...>wrote:

          > So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it,
          > but wasn't sure.
          >
          > Ellyn
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Aranel Took
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
            Hi Ellyn,

            Smaug's Treasure is a general award, like Commended Reviewer. It's not by
            category.

            You don't have to use the icon from the site. That's just something I did
            to jazz up the place. You can use it if you like, or do whatever kind of
            banner you want to do.

            If someone wanted, I suppose you could add the dragon icon to their
            existing 1st/2nd/3rd/HM banner as part of customization, too. Then they
            could have both on one banner. But that would be up to the individual
            story. Not every story with a placing necessarily gets a Smaug, and you can
            get a Smaug without getting a placing.

            Marta can probably clarify this better, so you should probably contact her
            about this.

            Aranel

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
              Hi Ellynn,

              I'm sorry for all of the confusion on this; I should really have talked
              to you about this last week when I was looking over your banners, but I
              didn't want to make more work for you than you'd already done.

              Smaug's Treasures are not, strictly speaking, an award of a certain
              subcategory. A piece gets a Smaug's Treasure if it ranks in the top
              third of all the nominations. This year, that meant it got thirty-six
              points or more. The exact amount will change from year to year, but what
              WON'T change is that it has nothing to do with how many points the other
              stories in its subcategory got. Now, it looks a lot like a subcategory
              award because that's how we report the results for everything else. But
              it's not strictly accurate to say such-and-such an award got a Smaug's
              Treasure award in (say) Hobbits: Bagginses. The Smaug's Treasure award
              isn't *in* any category.

              I don't have a problem with Smaug's Treasure banners listing the
              subcategory. All stories have a subcategory after all, and some people
              might prefer that kind of banner. But it's certainly not required.

              Marta