Smaug's Treasures

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
      I just love the little dragon of the MEFA results page.

      I was wondering if it would be possible to have a small dragon graphic that Smaug's Treasure winners could display as well as other banners or add to them if they are good with graphics? Just a thought.

      A big thank to everyone who has worked so hard to make the awards a success.

      Linda
    • Aranel Took
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2012
        Hi Linda,

        Glad you like Little Smaug. ;-)

        There will be some Smaug's Treasure banners available on the banner site
        soon.

        If you would like the dragon graphic from the site, email me (
        araneltook@...) and I can send you a better quality image for working
        with. If you want to work from scratch, I created the graphic from a dragon
        image in this free font: http://www.dafont.com/mediaeval-bats.font

        Aranel

        On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Linda <gingerleo@...> wrote:

        > I just love the little dragon of the MEFA results page.
        >
        > I was wondering if it would be possible to have a small dragon graphic
        > that Smaug's Treasure winners could display as well as other banners or add
        > to them if they are good with graphics? Just a thought.
        >
        > A big thank to everyone who has worked so hard to make the awards a
        > success.
        >
        > Linda

      • Ellin Ithilwen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
          So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it, but wasn't sure.

          Ellyn

          ________________________________
          There will be some Smaug's Treasure banners available on the banner site
          soon.

          If you would like the dragon graphic from the site, email me (
          araneltook@...) and I can send you a better quality image for working
          with. If you want to work from scratch, I created the graphic from a dragon
          image in this free font: http://www.dafont.com/mediaeval-bats.font

          Aranel

          On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:25 PM, Linda <gingerleo@...> wrote:

          > I just love the little dragon of the MEFA results page.
          >
          > I was wondering if it would be possible to have a small dragon graphic
          > that Smaug's Treasure winners could display as well as other banners or add
          > to them if they are good with graphics? Just a thought.
          >
          > A big thank to everyone who has worked so hard to make the awards a
          > success.
          >
          > Linda

        • Aranel Took
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
            Hi Ellyn,

            Do whatever you like with any of the graphics I put on the site. Just email
            me if you want to use something, and I can get you either a larger and/or
            higher quality .png, the Photoshop file I work from, or the source
            material.

            Aranel

            On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Ellin Ithilwen <ellin_revenger@...>wrote:

            > So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it,
            > but wasn't sure.
            >
            > Ellyn
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Ellin Ithilwen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
              It's not the problem for me to work with the graphic, but this whole thing with Smaug's treasure banners is confusing me. *What* is the right thing to be done? I've made the whole set of banners (all 70-and-something categories) with the inscription "Smaug's treasure", but that doesn't seem to be the right thing. What should I (we) do? Add the dragon-icon to "normal" banners (those with inscriptions 1st, 2nd 3rd place and HM)?  Or...?

              Ellyn

              ________________________________
              Do whatever you like with any of the graphics I put on the site. Just email
              me if you want to use something, and I can get you either a larger and/or
              higher quality .png, the Photoshop file I work from, or the source
              material.

              Aranel

              On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM, Ellin Ithilwen <ellin_revenger@...>wrote:

              > So, we can simply add the small dragon to the banners? I thought about it,
              > but wasn't sure.
              >
              > Ellyn
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Aranel Took
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
                Hi Ellyn,

                Smaug's Treasure is a general award, like Commended Reviewer. It's not by
                category.

                You don't have to use the icon from the site. That's just something I did
                to jazz up the place. You can use it if you like, or do whatever kind of
                banner you want to do.

                If someone wanted, I suppose you could add the dragon icon to their
                existing 1st/2nd/3rd/HM banner as part of customization, too. Then they
                could have both on one banner. But that would be up to the individual
                story. Not every story with a placing necessarily gets a Smaug, and you can
                get a Smaug without getting a placing.

                Marta can probably clarify this better, so you should probably contact her
                about this.

                Aranel

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2012
                  Hi Ellynn,

                  I'm sorry for all of the confusion on this; I should really have talked
                  to you about this last week when I was looking over your banners, but I
                  didn't want to make more work for you than you'd already done.

                  Smaug's Treasures are not, strictly speaking, an award of a certain
                  subcategory. A piece gets a Smaug's Treasure if it ranks in the top
                  third of all the nominations. This year, that meant it got thirty-six
                  points or more. The exact amount will change from year to year, but what
                  WON'T change is that it has nothing to do with how many points the other
                  stories in its subcategory got. Now, it looks a lot like a subcategory
                  award because that's how we report the results for everything else. But
                  it's not strictly accurate to say such-and-such an award got a Smaug's
                  Treasure award in (say) Hobbits: Bagginses. The Smaug's Treasure award
                  isn't *in* any category.

                  I don't have a problem with Smaug's Treasure banners listing the
                  subcategory. All stories have a subcategory after all, and some people
                  might prefer that kind of banner. But it's certainly not required.

                  Marta