2010 MEFA site unavailable after March 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2011

      We're moving the MEFAs to a new service-provider. The reasons for this move
      are technical, having to do mostly with better site security and some
      features the new service-provider offers that will help develop our site.

      What does this mean for you?

      First, there will be a few days when links to any "mefawards.net" page will
      get you an error message. This is unavoidable, and there's nothing we can
      really do to hurry it along. The interwebz just needs a little time to
      connect "http://www.mefawards.net/" with the new server where our site will
      be living.

      After that, the 2010 website will still not be available. It takes a good
      amount of work to get that site up and running again, and since the 2010
      awards has been over for several months now we're just not going to set up
      the 2010 site on the new server. (We'd rather spend our time making the 2011
      site as good as possible.) We'll start fresh for 2011, with a brand new site
      Aranel has been toiling away on. It's actually quite something and think you
      all will enjoy it. But the 2010 version of the site - along with your wish
      lists, reviews, and so on - won't be accessible after March 24, though much
      of that information will eventually be added to the archive and can be
      accessed there once we get the archive updated.

      So if you want access to your wish list, your stories' reviews, or anything
      of the sort, you need to somehow get that information so you won't have to
      log into our website to get it. There are lots of ways to do this, and it's
      really up to you to figure out what will work best. Here's the method I use:

      --- Go to the page of our website you want to access after March 24.
      --- Save the webpage. (Control-S or Command-S in most browsers/OS's.)
      --- Select "Web Page-HTML Only" as your file type. This will allow you to
      save just the main page and not any graphics or other associated files.
      --- Save this file somewhere you will remember - your Documents, Desktop, or
      wherever.

      Then whenever you need to view what was previously our web site. Simply
      double-click on the file you saved and this should open it in your default
      web browser. If that doesn't work just open a blank tab/window in any
      browser, and open the file (Control-O or Command-O in most browsers/OS's).
      This essentially creates a "snap-shot" of our webpage that you can open,
      even when our actual webpage isn't online anymore. It only saves the page
      that was displayed to you at the time you saved it, so you will need to do
      this for each page you want saved.

      Of course there are other methods if you prefer - do whatever works best for
      you.

      If you have any questions about this feel free to let me know. I hope it
      won't impact too many people.