email hackery

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2010

      Yesterday an old email address of mine was hacked, allowing someone to send
      out spam messages to everyone in my contacts list. In gmail, that includes
      pretty much everyone I've ever sent a message to. Back in 2006-2007ish, this
      was the only email address I had - so I used it for MEFA-related emails as
      well as other fandom stuff and messages to all sorts of RL people.

      Bottom line: some of you may have received an email message that looked like
      it was from me but that only contained some badly-worded spam directing you
      to a website. It would have had a subject like "Dear Friends: lkolk.X" (the
      last initial might vary), and it would have been sent yesterday Dec-02 at
      around 4-5 PM EST.

      I have tracked the problem down to someone accessing my email address from
      an IP address in China. I poked around last night and it seems I'm not the
      only one this has happened to in the last few days. I've taken security
      steps to keep this from happening again (I hope!), and also run an antivirus
      scan. So far, it looks like neither my computer nor the message itself
      contains a virus, though clicking on the link in the email would probably be
      a bad idea!

      I sincerely apologize for any worry or just plain annoyance this caused.
      Rest assured, I didn't mean to send out the email and will do what I can to
      make sure it doesn't happen again.