Re: Check Ballot v. 1

  • nelyo_russandol
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
      Marta,
      Thanks for your quick reply! Perhaps it is because I don't understand this setup completely, but I still disagree.

      "Many Hands" main category was "Multi-Age", not "Other beings". It has ended up with "Kinslayer" by default.

      You say the "Other beings" category is no different to the others, but I can see a myriad of of subcategories for Elves, Hobbits and Men, so that they are split into "humour" or "angst", or "family" or by period or length. But there is only one bucket for "Other beings". "One size fits all," if the key character is an unusual one. But, as I say, the stories are complete opposites, they were submitted under different categories and they have ended up together by chance, when I think they are like cheese and chalk.

      Thanks,
      Russandol

      PS. You may prefer to take this discussion off-line.
    • Robert Hoy
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
        Hi. I don't think "Not so like Luthien, after all" should be categorized as
        a Silmarillion ficlet. It is set in the Fourth Age, at the time of
        Aragorn's 200th birthday, and deals with the thoughts of Arwen, who isn't
        mentioned in the Quenta Silmarillion (for obvious reasons :) ). Maybe the
        title and her thoughts on Luthien and Beren, Idril and Tuor confused the
        matter :)

        As far as what category it *should* be put in, there are so many, but
        perhaps something involving Fourth Age, character studies, or cross-culture?

        Thanks,
        Maeglin

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
          I've not seen any of mine inappropriately placed this year.
          Bonnie L. Sherrell
          Teacher at Large

          "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

          "Don't go where I can't follow."
        • Marlyn Bumpus
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
            Hi there!

            > Thanks for letting us know about this problem. I need to discuss it with
            > the other categorizers, but we'll do our best to accommodate you. I'll
            > reply back in a day or two about this.

            That works for me. Thanks for the assistance.

            Cuio mae.

            Aeärwen

          • thunderatiger
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
              Since everyone else was chiming in, I decided to jump in, too, even if only to say that I'm very happy with both the categories and the subcategories my stories landed in. Many thanks to all the hard-working volunteers! I can only imagine how complicated this became in trying to make viable categories with 600+ stories.

              Thundera
            • Berni Crumb
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                I'm good with the placement of my four stories. I realized after I'd
                submitted my form that "Unravelling the Past" probably could have been
                considered AU from some perspectives, but I think that the First Age time
                period thing it ended up in is perfectly fine.

                You MEFA volunteers are doing a fantastic job!

                Vorondavë ar linalmië,
                Rhyselle

                Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative
                mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and
                likeness of a Maker. -- J.R.R. Tolkien, On Fairy-Stories, 1939

              • telperion1
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8, 2010
                  On 7/8/2010 12:13 PM, Robert Hoy wrote:

                  > Hi. I don't think "Not so like Luthien, after all" should be categorized as
                  > a Silmarillion ficlet. It is set in the Fourth Age, at the time of
                  > Aragorn's 200th birthday, and deals with the thoughts of Arwen, who isn't
                  > mentioned in the Quenta Silmarillion (for obvious reasons :) ). Maybe the
                  > title and her thoughts on Luthien and Beren, Idril and Tuor confused the
                  > matter :)
                  >
                  > As far as what category it *should* be put in, there are so many, but
                  > perhaps something involving Fourth Age, character studies, or cross-culture?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Maeglin

                  Hiya Maeglin,

                  Thanks for bringing this up. I'm discussing it with the other
                  categorizers and we'll do our best to move it for you.

                  If we move it, I wanted to run some suggestions by you for the new
                  subcategory. We need to keep it in the Ficlet main category, since
                  that's what you chose. The other options are Gondor, Eriador or Shire,
                  and General. I see it's set in Minas Tirith so, assuming we move it,
                  would you be okay with "Genres: Ficlets: Gondor"?