Re: [MEFAwards] Check Ballot v. 1

  • telperion1
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 8 4:42 AM
      Hi Rey,

      Thanks for noticing these. I saw your email and want to discuss the
      options for moving your stories around with the other categorizing
      volunteers. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you by tonight or tomorrow.

      Marta

      On 7/8/2010 5:58 AM, melissa chandra wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I noted a mistake in the placement of one of my stories, and another
      > story's placement that I would really love to see changed.
      >
      > The mistake is in the placement of:
      > ***SubCategory: Genres: Drama: Eriador or Shire***
      > The Imperishable Flame (582): Eärillë (AiedailWing)
      > It is because the Eriador/Shire part is actually not that consequencial
      > to the story; it is just a sort of epilogue. So could you please put it
      > under another category? Related to the Silmarillion, hopefully? If not,
      > something more neutral would work, I guess... but definitely not this.
      > (It could be misleading to readers.)
      >
      > And then I noticed this:
      > ***SubCategory: Races: Cross-Cultural: Incomplete***
      > Crystal Green (468): Eärillë (AiedailWing)
      > Like the first, it could prove misleading to readers, as it is a
      > crossover. Could you please put it with other crossovers? But if it
      > cannot be done, then I can say I am satisfied with the placement. (I
      > noticed the same thing with Not Quite a Maia by Kara's Aunty... but I
      > have no right to speak for her, nor have I gotten a permission from her
      > to do so. :) I have not checked if there were similar cases.) Please
      > consider it...
      >
      > My other stories were already in their proper categories, and I thank
      > you, volunteers, for the hard work you put up in categorising everything. :)
      >
      > Thank you and best wishes,
      > Rey

    • nelyo_russandol
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 8 5:16 AM
        Marta,
        Thanks for your quick reply! Perhaps it is because I don't understand this setup completely, but I still disagree.

        "Many Hands" main category was "Multi-Age", not "Other beings". It has ended up with "Kinslayer" by default.

        You say the "Other beings" category is no different to the others, but I can see a myriad of of subcategories for Elves, Hobbits and Men, so that they are split into "humour" or "angst", or "family" or by period or length. But there is only one bucket for "Other beings". "One size fits all," if the key character is an unusual one. But, as I say, the stories are complete opposites, they were submitted under different categories and they have ended up together by chance, when I think they are like cheese and chalk.

        Thanks,
        Russandol

        PS. You may prefer to take this discussion off-line.
      • Robert Hoy
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 8 9:13 AM
          Hi. I don't think "Not so like Luthien, after all" should be categorized as
          a Silmarillion ficlet. It is set in the Fourth Age, at the time of
          Aragorn's 200th birthday, and deals with the thoughts of Arwen, who isn't
          mentioned in the Quenta Silmarillion (for obvious reasons :) ). Maybe the
          title and her thoughts on Luthien and Beren, Idril and Tuor confused the
          matter :)

          As far as what category it *should* be put in, there are so many, but
          perhaps something involving Fourth Age, character studies, or cross-culture?

          Thanks,
          Maeglin

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 8 10:34 AM
            I've not seen any of mine inappropriately placed this year.
            Bonnie L. Sherrell
            Teacher at Large

            "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

            "Don't go where I can't follow."
          • Marlyn Bumpus
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 8 11:25 AM
              Hi there!

              > Thanks for letting us know about this problem. I need to discuss it with
              > the other categorizers, but we'll do our best to accommodate you. I'll
              > reply back in a day or two about this.

              That works for me. Thanks for the assistance.

              Cuio mae.

              Aeärwen

            • thunderatiger
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 8 12:32 PM
                Since everyone else was chiming in, I decided to jump in, too, even if only to say that I'm very happy with both the categories and the subcategories my stories landed in. Many thanks to all the hard-working volunteers! I can only imagine how complicated this became in trying to make viable categories with 600+ stories.

                Thundera
              • Berni Crumb
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 8 2:35 PM
                  I'm good with the placement of my four stories. I realized after I'd
                  submitted my form that "Unravelling the Past" probably could have been
                  considered AU from some perspectives, but I think that the First Age time
                  period thing it ended up in is perfectly fine.

                  You MEFA volunteers are doing a fantastic job!

                  Vorondavë ar linalmië,
                  Rhyselle

                  Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative
                  mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and
                  likeness of a Maker. -- J.R.R. Tolkien, On Fairy-Stories, 1939

                • telperion1
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 8 3:22 PM
                    On 7/8/2010 12:13 PM, Robert Hoy wrote:

                    > Hi. I don't think "Not so like Luthien, after all" should be categorized as
                    > a Silmarillion ficlet. It is set in the Fourth Age, at the time of
                    > Aragorn's 200th birthday, and deals with the thoughts of Arwen, who isn't
                    > mentioned in the Quenta Silmarillion (for obvious reasons :) ). Maybe the
                    > title and her thoughts on Luthien and Beren, Idril and Tuor confused the
                    > matter :)
                    >
                    > As far as what category it *should* be put in, there are so many, but
                    > perhaps something involving Fourth Age, character studies, or cross-culture?
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Maeglin

                    Hiya Maeglin,

                    Thanks for bringing this up. I'm discussing it with the other
                    categorizers and we'll do our best to move it for you.

                    If we move it, I wanted to run some suggestions by you for the new
                    subcategory. We need to keep it in the Ficlet main category, since
                    that's what you chose. The other options are Gondor, Eriador or Shire,
                    and General. I see it's set in Minas Tirith so, assuming we move it,
                    would you be okay with "Genres: Ficlets: Gondor"?