looking for a volunteer

  • telperion1
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010

      In a few weeks, reviews will start showing up on our website. This means
      that authors will be able to reply to their reviews. They essentially
      send an email to an email address, which a volunteer then reads over to
      make sure it's not a flame and passes on to the reviewer.

      I'm looking for that volunteer. The main requirement is availability.
      You'd need to check in every 2-3 days at least, from now through
      mid-December, though another volunteer could take over if you need a
      short break. You also need to be able to follow directions well. It is
      essentially "grunt" work, and the kind of thing that doesn't attract a
      lot of attention if it's done right. But it is a huge help to me for
      someone else to do that, and while it's not exactly high profile you
      *will* have my appreciation as well as an official "thank you" on the
      list of MEFA volunteers.

      If this seems like something you're interested in, drop me a line at
      mefasupport@... - either to say you want to do it, or to get more
      info on what is required.

      Thanks!

      Marta
      (MEFA Admin.)
    • brandy bartoli
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2010
        What directions are we talking about Marta? I am usually on the net every night for a few hours unless I have to be at work at like dawn or something. Tell me more. I am interested.

        Brandy, Haldirsbaby

        Life without laughter is not worth living!     THE wise one.....ME

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
          You mean a third party will be reading our emails? I had no idea. I would almost rather risk having to see a flame than lose the expectation of privacy.

          This is usually not an issue, but in the past some of my review replies have been to people I know personally. I'll bear in mind that someone else may be seeing what I wrote.

          Idle question: what if the review reply is a flame? Does the reviewer then not get to see it?
        • Diana Nevins
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
            As I recall, MEFA story reviews (at least for the winning stories) have always been publicly viewable on the MEFA website. They're no more private than reviews anywhere else are. Certainly on most archive sites I'm familiar with, story reviews are always public.

            Ithilwen

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
              I'm talking about the review _replies_. Of course the reviews themselves are public.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                Sorry! I misunderstood you.

                Ithilwen

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Hi Brandy,

                  Thanks for your interest. I already had another person email me at the
                  mefasupport@... address, so we're all set this time. But basically
                  I was offering to answer any questions you had, if you thought you might
                  be interested but weren't sure.

                  Marta

                  On 7/5/2010 6:09 PM, brandy bartoli wrote:

                  > What directions are we talking about Marta? I am usually on the net
                  > every night for a few hours unless I have to be at work at like dawn or
                  > something. Tell me more. I am interested.
                  >
                  > Brandy, Haldirsbaby

                • telperion1
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                    Hiya Eryn Lasgalen,

                    > You mean a third party will be reading our emails? I had no idea. I
                    > would almost rather risk having to see a flame than lose the expectation
                    > of privacy.

                    "Skim" is probably a better description than "read." The volunteer just
                    needs to make sure that replies aren't flames of some kind, because
                    they're going out under the "MEFA" name. (The email address they'll be
                    coming from is mefareviews@....) To many people, this makes it
                    seem like the reply is somehow from the MEFAs as an institution, or that
                    we approve of what was said because we're passing it on. So a flamey
                    review might not only create bad feelings between the reviewer and that
                    particular author, but between the reviewer and the *MEFAs.* That's
                    something we need to avoid.

                    Believe me, we don't want it to be like big brother peeking over your
                    shoulder! Our volunteers have better things to do anyway. We're just
                    trying to strike the right balance between protecting the MEFA name (so
                    most people have a positive association rather than a negative one with
                    it) and giving authors and reviewers a service they have asked for. But
                    if you feel we're erring too far toward one side or the other, we can
                    always consider it in our post-mortem after the awards. If you ever see
                    something you would like us to consider changing, you can suggest it at

                    http://community.livejournal.com/mefas/1994/05/15/

                    and the volunteers will consider it for 2011 once this year's awards are
                    over.

                    > Idle question: what if the review reply is a flame? Does the reviewer
                    > then not get to see it?

                    If we decide a review is a flame, we'll reply back to the author saying
                    we haven't passed the reply on. So no, the reviewer doesn't get to see
                    it. But the author *knows* the review wasn't passed on for some reason
                    or another, so they can try to get in touch some other way if they like.

                    Marta
                    (MEFA Admin.)
                  • telperion1
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                      Hi Ithilwen,

                      You're right, reviews are always public. When you enter a review you
                      give it a status, and if that status is Hidden or Final, the review will
                      be shown to other people eventually. (The difference is that with Hidden
                      reviews, you can keep editing them until the end of the awards, at which
                      point they'll be displayed.)

                      But Eryn Lasgalen was talking about something a bit different. When an
                      author reads a review, there is a link to *reply* to that review. This
                      opens up an email that a MEFA volunteer will pass on to the reviewer.
                      And that's not shown on our website at the moment, but it *is* read by a
                      volunteer to make sure we aren't passing along a flame.

                      Marta

                      On 7/6/2010 12:11 PM, Diana Nevins wrote:

                      > As I recall, MEFA story reviews (at least for the winning stories) have
                      > always been publicly viewable on the MEFA website. They're no more
                      > private than reviews anywhere else are. Certainly on most archive sites
                      > I'm familiar with, story reviews are always public.
                      >
                      > Ithilwen

                    • dwimmer_laik
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6, 2010
                        Just to say - before the "reply to reviewer" link was programmed into the site, I would just go through the MEFA Yahoo Group member database and use it to get in touch with anyone whose e-mail address I didn't already have. It's not that much more time intensive (I found, anyway), and with probably three exceptions, I was able to find every reviewer who had written something for my stories, even if I had to branch out and look at FFN or some other archive site to find a means of contacting him or her.

                        So if you want to e-mail your reviewers and still have total privacy, it's completely doable.

                        Dwim