Re: [MEFAwards] Re: Should we be concerned?

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
      Sorry--it's just that since the particular correspondent mentioned drabbles I
      noted an author who is known for her drabbles and who is just now writing
      another series. I know a few others who also have series of drabbles and other
      drabble multiples, including Marta, Jay of Lasgalen, Lindelea, Dwimordene,
      Dreamflower, Grey Wonderer, and several others, including myself. I'd even
      tried to nominate a drabble by AnnMarwalk, who has chosen to sit out this year's
      competition. So, we know there are drabbles and drabble series out there--just
      not many have been nominated as yet.
      Bonnie L. Sherrell
      Teacher at Large

      "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

      "Don't go where I can't follow."
    • telperion1
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
        Hi Elvish Writer and everyone,

        I'm glad you brought this up. While I don't think Larner meant any harm by
        all this --and it's all too easy to want to recommend authors you liked in
        discussions like this!-- I do see how it could make some authors
        uncomfortable.

        Everyone, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss how much you like
        specific stories or authors here or at the mefas LJ. And I don't blame
        Larner here! This isn't the first time this has happened, and it probably
        won't be the last. But *because* it's so easy to talk up a certain author or
        story, I think it's something we need to be careful to stay away from.

        There *is* a good way to get people excited about the MEFAs, and I want
        everyone to do that. In fact, I'll make my next educational post (every
        Wednesday) about just this kind of issue. It's a very important topic.

      • nierielraina
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
          Thank you, Marta. The mentioning of specific authors made me uncomfortable.

          I hope I'm not out of line for mentioning this, but it's been eating at me for a couple days. Another comment that made me very uncomfortable was someone stating that there are few good stories 'worthy of nomination'. I think we need to be sensitive to the fact that there are a lot of people on this list who write and whose stories have NOT been nominated, so to say there aren't many stories 'worthy of nomination' is rather like a slap in the face to those authors. I really think comments like that are hurtful and drive people away rather than encouraging participation. :(

          NiRi

          --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "telperion1" <marta.fandom@...> wrote:

          > Hi Elvish Writer and everyone,
          >
          > I'm glad you brought this up. While I don't think Larner meant any harm by
          > all this --and it's all too easy to want to recommend authors you liked in
          > discussions like this!-- I do see how it could make some authors
          > uncomfortable.
          >
          > Everyone, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss how much you like
          > specific stories or authors here or at the mefas LJ. And I don't blame
          > Larner here! This isn't the first time this has happened, and it probably
          > won't be the last. But *because* it's so easy to talk up a certain author or
          > story, I think it's something we need to be careful to stay away from.
          >
          > There *is* a good way to get people excited about the MEFAs, and I want
          > everyone to do that. In fact, I'll make my next educational post (every
          > Wednesday) about just this kind of issue. It's a very important topic.
          >
          > Marta
        • Sulriel of Menegroth
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
            I only nominated a few this year, as I went through my list, most of
            the ones I enjoyed so much were already nom'd or had been in previous
            years. I know I've been much less active in the fandom over about the
            last two years, even down from being less active over the last couple
            of years before that. Real Life has had me by a strangle-hold, but
            thankfully hasn't kept me out of the fandom completely. I didn't know
            if there were less stories being published or if I just wasn't active
            enough to be hitting the good ones.

            Either way, I'll read and vote as much as I can without stressing.

            Sulriel

            On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
            > And having more
            > nominations means more stories to read over the next several months. But it
            > also means there's less pressure to choose which stories you are going to
            > read, which I think might help some people. Frankly, I'm more concerned that
            > people nominate the stories they really enjoyed from the past year, than
            > that they nominate a lot of stories. If the fandom is slowing down, and
            > there are less nominations because less people are writing Tolkien-based
            > fanfic, that's a bit sad but not really a *problem* in my book.
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
              I haven't nominated any stories yet. I usually keep a file during the year where I store stories I want to nominate for the next Mefas. Unfortunately, the last year was not very kind to me. Due to an increased workload and trying to read for the Mefas as much as I could, I didn't read anything outside of the competition. I'm still working through my email reminders of updates to the stories I'm following and discovered that most of them are already nominated. So, I guess my nomination slots will be lost.

              Chris

            • kimberli leal
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                I have to admit, that that comment NiRi mentioned made me uncomfortable too, and I think that things like that discourage participation in general any time they are made in any open forum. It is possible to be positive about what you like, without being negative about the work of others.

                Cactuskim

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                  Hi NiRi (and Cactuskim),

                  It's funny, I read that comment in a somewhat different way. I read it as
                  saying that this particular member hadn't read very many stories he liked -
                  not that good stories weren't out there. If you'll permit me the philosophy
                  terms, it's kind of the difference between a subjective vs. an objective
                  statement. Subjective refers to my (or anyone's) experience, the other to
                  how things actually *are*, how anyone could experience them. So, I read this
                  statement as describing Fiondil's particular experience, not making a
                  blanket statement about the nature of things.

                  But I *can* see how other people would read this differently, and I see that
                  point. I'm not interested in assessing blame (I don't think Fiondil meant
                  any harm, but that's not important to me); if it is making people feel
                  uncomfortable, then let's not do that kind of thing again. Statements about
                  the quality of recent fanfic are a little off-topic anyway. We're here first
                  and foremost to discuss the MEFAs.

                  Thanks, everyone for your concerns. I'd appreciate it if we could drop this
                  thread from here on out.