Re: Should we be concerned?

  • Elvish Writer
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
      Perhaps recommendations like this are better done through a private means of communication such as e-mail or IM if the need for it must be done.

      Remember there are others who write drabbles and this could be viewed as "stacking the deck" in favor of this author.

      Elvish Writer

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
        Sorry--it's just that since the particular correspondent mentioned drabbles I
        noted an author who is known for her drabbles and who is just now writing
        another series. I know a few others who also have series of drabbles and other
        drabble multiples, including Marta, Jay of Lasgalen, Lindelea, Dwimordene,
        Dreamflower, Grey Wonderer, and several others, including myself. I'd even
        tried to nominate a drabble by AnnMarwalk, who has chosen to sit out this year's
        competition. So, we know there are drabbles and drabble series out there--just
        not many have been nominated as yet.
        Bonnie L. Sherrell
        Teacher at Large

        "Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." LOTR

        "Don't go where I can't follow."
      • telperion1
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 7, 2010
          Hi Elvish Writer and everyone,

          I'm glad you brought this up. While I don't think Larner meant any harm by
          all this --and it's all too easy to want to recommend authors you liked in
          discussions like this!-- I do see how it could make some authors
          uncomfortable.

          Everyone, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss how much you like
          specific stories or authors here or at the mefas LJ. And I don't blame
          Larner here! This isn't the first time this has happened, and it probably
          won't be the last. But *because* it's so easy to talk up a certain author or
          story, I think it's something we need to be careful to stay away from.

          There *is* a good way to get people excited about the MEFAs, and I want
          everyone to do that. In fact, I'll make my next educational post (every
          Wednesday) about just this kind of issue. It's a very important topic.

        • nierielraina
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
            Thank you, Marta. The mentioning of specific authors made me uncomfortable.

            I hope I'm not out of line for mentioning this, but it's been eating at me for a couple days. Another comment that made me very uncomfortable was someone stating that there are few good stories 'worthy of nomination'. I think we need to be sensitive to the fact that there are a lot of people on this list who write and whose stories have NOT been nominated, so to say there aren't many stories 'worthy of nomination' is rather like a slap in the face to those authors. I really think comments like that are hurtful and drive people away rather than encouraging participation. :(

            NiRi

            --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "telperion1" <marta.fandom@...> wrote:

            > Hi Elvish Writer and everyone,
            >
            > I'm glad you brought this up. While I don't think Larner meant any harm by
            > all this --and it's all too easy to want to recommend authors you liked in
            > discussions like this!-- I do see how it could make some authors
            > uncomfortable.
            >
            > Everyone, I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't discuss how much you like
            > specific stories or authors here or at the mefas LJ. And I don't blame
            > Larner here! This isn't the first time this has happened, and it probably
            > won't be the last. But *because* it's so easy to talk up a certain author or
            > story, I think it's something we need to be careful to stay away from.
            >
            > There *is* a good way to get people excited about the MEFAs, and I want
            > everyone to do that. In fact, I'll make my next educational post (every
            > Wednesday) about just this kind of issue. It's a very important topic.
            >
            > Marta
          • Sulriel of Menegroth
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
              I only nominated a few this year, as I went through my list, most of
              the ones I enjoyed so much were already nom'd or had been in previous
              years. I know I've been much less active in the fandom over about the
              last two years, even down from being less active over the last couple
              of years before that. Real Life has had me by a strangle-hold, but
              thankfully hasn't kept me out of the fandom completely. I didn't know
              if there were less stories being published or if I just wasn't active
              enough to be hitting the good ones.

              Either way, I'll read and vote as much as I can without stressing.

              Sulriel

              On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
              > And having more
              > nominations means more stories to read over the next several months. But it
              > also means there's less pressure to choose which stories you are going to
              > read, which I think might help some people. Frankly, I'm more concerned that
              > people nominate the stories they really enjoyed from the past year, than
              > that they nominate a lot of stories. If the fandom is slowing down, and
              > there are less nominations because less people are writing Tolkien-based
              > fanfic, that's a bit sad but not really a *problem* in my book.
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                I haven't nominated any stories yet. I usually keep a file during the year where I store stories I want to nominate for the next Mefas. Unfortunately, the last year was not very kind to me. Due to an increased workload and trying to read for the Mefas as much as I could, I didn't read anything outside of the competition. I'm still working through my email reminders of updates to the stories I'm following and discovered that most of them are already nominated. So, I guess my nomination slots will be lost.

                Chris

              • kimberli leal
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                  I have to admit, that that comment NiRi mentioned made me uncomfortable too, and I think that things like that discourage participation in general any time they are made in any open forum. It is possible to be positive about what you like, without being negative about the work of others.

                  Cactuskim

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
                    Hi NiRi (and Cactuskim),

                    It's funny, I read that comment in a somewhat different way. I read it as
                    saying that this particular member hadn't read very many stories he liked -
                    not that good stories weren't out there. If you'll permit me the philosophy
                    terms, it's kind of the difference between a subjective vs. an objective
                    statement. Subjective refers to my (or anyone's) experience, the other to
                    how things actually *are*, how anyone could experience them. So, I read this
                    statement as describing Fiondil's particular experience, not making a
                    blanket statement about the nature of things.

                    But I *can* see how other people would read this differently, and I see that
                    point. I'm not interested in assessing blame (I don't think Fiondil meant
                    any harm, but that's not important to me); if it is making people feel
                    uncomfortable, then let's not do that kind of thing again. Statements about
                    the quality of recent fanfic are a little off-topic anyway. We're here first
                    and foremost to discuss the MEFAs.

                    Thanks, everyone for your concerns. I'd appreciate it if we could drop this
                    thread from here on out.