Re: Problems with 2010 site

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 28 , May 14, 2010
      I'm having the same problem,
      Linda

      --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "annettekupke" <annette@...> wrote:

      > I've just tried to nominate three different stories and each time got the message that the form was incomplete, even though I had filled in all asteriksed fields.

    • telperion1
      Message 2 of 28 , May 14, 2010

        Apparently several people are having this problem, including myself. Knowing
        our tech volunteers, they are either unaware of the problem (some of them
        living in far-off time zones where it's well past midnight), or they are
        already hard at work on a solution. I'm sure things will be running smoothly
        as soon as possible.

        Sorry for the error messages, guys. I appreciate your patience as this
        situation is straightened out.

      • raksha022002
        Message 3 of 28 , May 14, 2010
          Count me in as having the exact same problem.

          Also, once this form works, after it's filled out, will the nominated author be able to put in her/his preferred story URL, or be stuck with whichever URL the nominator has used?

          Raksha The Demon

          <<<<--- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "annettekupke" <annette@...> wrote:

          > I've just tried to nominate three different stories and each time got the message that the form was incomplete, even though I had filled in all asteriksed fields.

        • Sulriel of Menegroth
          Message 4 of 28 , May 14, 2010
            I wasn't able to enter a nom for someone else, which I'm sure I did
            without any trouble during the testing because I didn't realize at
            first you were especially asking for self noms to test the forms.

            but i did just now enter a real self-nom without any trouble. so it's
            only the short form that isn't working.

            Becky/Sue L (Huffman) Burkheart [how did life get so complicated?!?]
            ~ A Hard Hero is Good to Find ~ www.WritingHorses.com

            All about Horses of North Texas, their people & the games they play ~
            http://www.examiner.com/x-40428-Fort-Worth-Equestrian-Examiner

            Message 5 of 28 , May 14, 2010
              um. i just went back to check it and all the story information I
              filled in seems to be gone ... ?

              On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth <sulriel@...> wrote:
              > I wasn't able to enter a nom for someone else, which I'm sure I did
              > without any trouble during the testing because I didn't realize at
              > first you were especially asking for self noms to test the forms.
              >
              > but i did just now enter a real self-nom without any trouble. so it's
              > only the short form that isn't working.
              >
              > Becky/Sue L (Huffman) Burkheart [how did life get so complicated?!?]
              >  ~ A Hard Hero is Good to Find ~ www.WritingHorses.com
              >
              > All about Horses of North Texas, their people & the games they play ~
              > http://www.examiner.com/x-40428-Fort-Worth-Equestrian-Examiner
              >

              > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Linda <gingerleo@...> wrote:
              >> I'm having the same problem,
              >> Linda
              >>
              >> --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "annettekupke" <annette@...> wrote:
              >>>
              >>> I've just tried to nominate three different stories and each time got the message that the form was incomplete, even though I had filled in all asteriksed fields.

            • Aranel Took
              Message 6 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                Hello everyone,

                I'm aware of the problem and am currently writing the fix. It should be up
                soon, probably within a half hour after 9pm US Central Time.

                Sorry for the inconvenience. :-(

                Aranel

              • Sulriel of Menegroth
                Message 7 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                  it seems to be working now.

                  On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
                  > Hey guys,
                  >
                  > Apparently several people are having this problem, including myself. Knowing
                  > our tech volunteers, they are either unaware of the problem (some of them
                  > living in far-off time zones where it's well past midnight), or they are
                  > already hard at work on a solution. I'm sure things will be running smoothly
                  > as soon as possible.
                  >
                  > Sorry for the error messages, guys. I appreciate your patience as this
                  > situation is straightened out.
                  >
                  > Marta

                • Aranel Took
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                    I've uploaded the fix, so everything should be working now.

                    Aranel

                  • Sulriel of Menegroth
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                      nope. it's not again.

                      ok - I'll wait until someone technical can get a word in edgeways.

                      *sitting on hands*

                      On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth <sulriel@...> wrote:
                      > it seems to be working now.
                      >
                      > Becky/Sue L (Huffman) Burkheart [how did life get so complicated?!?]
                      >  ~ A Hard Hero is Good to Find ~ www.WritingHorses.com
                      >
                      > All about Horses of North Texas, their people & the games they play ~
                      > http://www.examiner.com/x-40428-Fort-Worth-Equestrian-Examiner
                      >

                      > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
                      >> Hey guys,
                      >>
                      >> Apparently several people are having this problem, including myself. Knowing
                      >> our tech volunteers, they are either unaware of the problem (some of them
                      >> living in far-off time zones where it's well past midnight), or they are
                      >> already hard at work on a solution. I'm sure things will be running smoothly
                      >> as soon as possible.
                      >>
                      >> Sorry for the error messages, guys. I appreciate your patience as this
                      >> situation is straightened out.
                      >>
                      >> Marta

                    • telperion1
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                        Thanks for the quick work. I just tried to nominate a story and it went
                        through this time without a hitch.

                      • telperion1
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                          Hiya Raksha,

                          > Count me in as having the exact same problem.

                          It looks like the issue is fixed now, at least for me. I hope it works for
                          you, too!

                          > Also, once this form works, after it's filled out, will the nominated
                          > author be able to put in her/his preferred story URL, or be stuck with
                          > whichever URL the nominator has used?

                          The author can change it, definitely. It's important that you use a working
                          link because the liaison needs to make sure the story is eligible before
                          contacting the author. But the author can then change the link if they want.
                          I do this all the time, personally, because I prefer to link to one
                          particular site where I keep my most polished version of my stories, and
                          it's quite easy to do. :-D

                          Marta
                        • raksha022002
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                            No, I've just tried again and I still cannot nominate stories. I'm disappointed. Hope the glitch is fixed before too long.

                            Raksha

                            <<<--- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "telperion1" <marta.fandom@...> wrote:

                            > Hiya Raksha,
                            >
                            > > Count me in as having the exact same problem.
                            > >

                            > It looks like the issue is fixed now, at least for me. I hope it works for
                            > you, too!
                            >
                            > > Also, once this form works, after it's filled out, will the nominated
                            > > author be able to put in her/his preferred story URL, or be stuck with
                            > > whichever URL the nominator has used?
                            > >

                            > The author can change it, definitely. It's important that you use a working
                            > link because the liaison needs to make sure the story is eligible before
                            > contacting the author. But the author can then change the link if they want.
                            > I do this all the time, personally, because I prefer to link to one
                            > particular site where I keep my most polished version of my stories, and
                            > it's quite easy to do. :-D
                            >
                            > Marta

                          • Aranel Took
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                              Hi Sulriel,

                              What exactly is happening that isn't working? Is this a new story, or the
                              story you already nominated? What do you mean it's not saving the
                              information? It won't accept a new Nomination or is this a Self-Nomination
                              where the info doesn't show up on the nomination form when you edit the
                              form? Or is it not showing up in Browse Stories?

                              Thanks,
                              Aranel

                              On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth <sulriel@...>wrote:

                              > nope. it's not again.
                              >
                              > ok - I'll wait until someone technical can get a word in edgeways.
                              >
                              > *sitting on hands*
                              >

                              > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth <sulriel@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > it seems to be working now.
                              > >
                              > > Becky/Sue L (Huffman) Burkheart [how did life get so complicated?!?]
                              > > ~ A Hard Hero is Good to Find ~ www.WritingHorses.com
                              > >
                              > > All about Horses of North Texas, their people & the games they play ~
                              > > http://www.examiner.com/x-40428-Fort-Worth-Equestrian-Examiner
                              > >

                              > > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >> Hey guys,
                              > >>
                              > >> Apparently several people are having this problem, including myself.
                              > Knowing
                              > >> our tech volunteers, they are either unaware of the problem (some of
                              > them
                              > >> living in far-off time zones where it's well past midnight), or they are
                              > >> already hard at work on a solution. I'm sure things will be running
                              > smoothly
                              > >> as soon as possible.
                              > >>
                              > >> Sorry for the error messages, guys. I appreciate your patience as this
                              > >> situation is straightened out.
                              > >>
                              > >> Marta

                            • Aranel Took
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                Hi Raksha,

                                I tested the site and I'm able to nominate a story. Can you give me more
                                details on what exactly is happening for you? Are you getting an error
                                message? Does the submit work, but the story isn't showing up in the Browse
                                Stories list?

                                Thanks,
                                Aranel

                                On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM, raksha022002 <PGail99@...> wrote:

                                > No, I've just tried again and I still cannot nominate stories. I'm
                                > disappointed. Hope the glitch is fixed before too long.
                                >

                                > Raksha
                                >

                                > <<<--- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "telperion1" <marta.fandom@...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hiya Raksha,
                                > >
                                > > > Count me in as having the exact same problem.
                                > > >

                                > > It looks like the issue is fixed now, at least for me. I hope it works
                                > for
                                > > you, too!
                                > >
                                > > > Also, once this form works, after it's filled out, will the nominated
                                > > > author be able to put in her/his preferred story URL, or be stuck with
                                > > > whichever URL the nominator has used?
                                > > >

                                > > The author can change it, definitely. It's important that you use a
                                > working
                                > > link because the liaison needs to make sure the story is eligible before
                                > > contacting the author. But the author can then change the link if they
                                > want.
                                > > I do this all the time, personally, because I prefer to link to one
                                > > particular site where I keep my most polished version of my stories, and
                                > > it's quite easy to do. :-D
                                > >
                                > > Marta

                              • raksha022002
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                  Hi, Aranel:

                                  I fill out the author name, story title, story URL, and add the Author's email address to the last field; press SUBMIT and get an "Incomplete" message. I've also tried it leaving the last field (the one with Author's Notes, Nominator's notes) blank, and I still get a message telling me that the form is Incomplete.

                                  I was able to fill in several fields in the form for my own stories that were nominated by someone else, and save that changed form.

                                  Raksha

                                  <<<--- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Aranel Took <araneltook@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Raksha,
                                  >
                                  > I tested the site and I'm able to nominate a story. Can you give me more
                                  > details on what exactly is happening for you? Are you getting an error
                                  > message? Does the submit work, but the story isn't showing up in the Browse
                                  > Stories list?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Aranel
                                  >
                                  > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM, raksha022002 <PGail99@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > No, I've just tried again and I still cannot nominate stories. I'm
                                  > > disappointed. Hope the glitch is fixed before too long.
                                  > >

                                  > > Raksha
                                  > >

                                  > > <<<--- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "telperion1" <marta.fandom@>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hiya Raksha,

                                  > > > It looks like the issue is fixed now, at least for me. I hope it works
                                  > > for
                                  > > > you, too!

                                  > > > The author can change it, definitely. It's important that you use a
                                  > > working
                                  > > > link because the liaison needs to make sure the story is eligible before
                                  > > > contacting the author. But the author can then change the link if they
                                  > > want.
                                  > > > I do this all the time, personally, because I prefer to link to one
                                  > > > particular site where I keep my most polished version of my stories, and
                                  > > > it's quite easy to do. :-D
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Marta

                                • telperion1
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                    Hiya Aranel,

                                    I wanted to let you know that earlier tonight I nominated a story by another
                                    author (#7), and it went through fine. I also just now self-nominated a
                                    number story (#17), which I have since withdrawn because I wanted to make
                                    sure that form also worked for me. That form also went through without a
                                    problem. #17 also showed up in the story list before I withdrawn it, and #7
                                    is still showing up.

                                    I did manually tell my website to reload the language file, using the link
                                    at the top of the screen. I don't know whether that explains the
                                    discrepancy, or if there's something else going on. But for what it's worth,
                                    I've been able to nominate and self-nominate successfully.

                                  • Sulriel of Menegroth
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                      arg! mine are still not going. :(

                                      Becky

                                      On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
                                      > Thanks for the quick work. I just tried to nominate a story and it went
                                      > through this time without a hitch.
                                      >
                                      > Marta

                                    • Aranel Took
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                        Hi Becky,

                                        I really need more information than that to be able to do anything. Is this
                                        a Nomination or a Self-Nomination? Are you getting an error message? Is this
                                        the same issue with the information not being saved?

                                        Thanks,
                                        Aranel

                                        On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth <sulriel@...>wrote:

                                        > arg! mine are still not going. :(
                                        >
                                        > Becky
                                        >

                                        > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > > Thanks for the quick work. I just tried to nominate a story and it went
                                        > > through this time without a hitch.
                                        > >
                                        > > Marta

                                      • Aranel Took
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                          Hi Raksha,

                                          It's possible your browser may have cached the old page and is using that
                                          rather than re-loading the updated page.

                                          Things to try:

                                          - Clear your browser cache and try loading the page again.
                                          - If that doesn't work, quit and restart your browser.
                                          - If neither of those work, send an email to techsupport@... and
                                          we'll try to figure out what's happening.

                                          Thanks,
                                          Aranel

                                        • Sulriel of Menegroth
                                          Message 20 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                            I just logged out. reloaded the language file and logged back in and
                                            still can't nom another story. i had one go through earlier, one self
                                            and one other, but now I can't get another one to go through.

                                            Sulriel

                                            <sulriel@...> wrote:
                                            > arg!  mine are still not going. :(
                                            >
                                            > Becky
                                            >

                                            > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...> wrote:
                                            >> Thanks for the quick work. I just tried to nominate a story and it went
                                            >> through this time without a hitch.
                                            >>
                                            >> Marta

                                          • Aranel Took
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                              Hi Sulriel,

                                              I just logged in as you and was able to submit a Nomination (I immediately
                                              withdrew it so you didn't lose any of your allotted nominations).

                                              Try clearing your browser cache, and if that doesn't work quit your browser
                                              and try again. If those things don't work, email
                                              techsupport@... we'll try to figure out what's going on.

                                              Thanks,
                                              Aranel

                                              On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth <sulriel@...>wrote:

                                              > I just logged out. reloaded the language file and logged back in and
                                              > still can't nom another story. i had one go through earlier, one self
                                              > and one other, but now I can't get another one to go through.
                                              >
                                              > Sulriel
                                              >

                                              > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM, Sulriel of Menegroth
                                              > <sulriel@...> wrote:
                                              > > arg! mine are still not going. :(
                                              > >
                                              > > Becky
                                              > >

                                              > > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:31 PM, telperion1 <marta.fandom@...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > >> Thanks for the quick work. I just tried to nominate a story and it went
                                              > >> through this time without a hitch.
                                              > >>
                                              > >> Marta

                                            • Sulriel of Menegroth
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Aranel Took <araneltook@...> wrote:
                                                > Hi Becky,
                                                >
                                                > I really need more information than that to be able to do anything. Is this
                                                > a Nomination or a Self-Nomination? Are you getting an error message? Is this
                                                > the same issue with the information not being saved?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Aranel

                                                I'm on a delay with this list. I had all my various mails over the
                                                last few years being dumped into my huffman mail, and since I've lost
                                                all my passwords and their all keyed to the old htcomp account which
                                                is long dead, I just fw all the huffman mail to my new burkheart mail
                                                since I got divorced last year.

                                                so - the point of all that is that the sulriel mail has to be fw'd
                                                twice before I get it and I just tried to get to the list to read
                                                online and locked myself out of that account.

                                                you can email me privately if that would be faster/easier for you.

                                                I logged out and reloaded the language file and logged back in.
                                                I still am getting the same error: "The data you entered is
                                                incomplete. Please check your entries."

                                                this is on a nom for another author.

                                                earlier, while the problems were still ongoing, I was able to enter a
                                                self nom. All the cate and genre information disappeared, but i was
                                                able to put it back in through the 'edit' function and it stayed.

                                                Then I was able to nom a story by another author. It initally told me
                                                "incompletely", but then went.

                                                But I've tried two different stories, but different authors and
                                                neither one will go. I haven't tried another self-nom.

                                                Let me know what else is needed. I don't mind doing another self-nom
                                                if that would help. I'll have to see what I have.
                                              • Aranel Took
                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                  Hi Sulriel,

                                                  Since you're having problems with getting mails from the list, I'll email
                                                  you privately about this.

                                                  Aranel

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                    Thanx, Aranel; clearing the browser cache seems to have done the trick; and I've done my first five nominations.

                                                    Raksha, much relieved!

                                                    <<<<<<<<<--- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, Aranel Took <araneltook@...> wrote:

                                                    > Hi Raksha,
                                                    >
                                                    > It's possible your browser may have cached the old page and is using that
                                                    > rather than re-loading the updated page.
                                                    >
                                                    > Things to try:
                                                    >
                                                    > - Clear your browser cache and try loading the page again.
                                                    > - If that doesn't work, quit and restart your browser.
                                                    > - If neither of those work, send an email to techsupport@... and
                                                    > we'll try to figure out what's happening.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thanks,
                                                    > Aranel
                                                    >
                                                    > On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM, raksha022002 <PGail99@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > Hi, Aranel:
                                                    > >

                                                    > > I fill out the author name, story title, story URL, and add the Author's
                                                    > > email address to the last field; press SUBMIT and get an "Incomplete"
                                                    > > message. I've also tried it leaving the last field (the one with Author's
                                                    > > Notes, Nominator's notes) blank, and I still get a message telling me that
                                                    > > the form is Incomplete.
                                                    > >
                                                    > > I was able to fill in several fields in the form for my own stories that
                                                    > > were nominated by someone else, and save that changed form.
                                                    > >

                                                    > > Raksha

                                                  • Aranel Took
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , May 14, 2010
                                                      Great, Raksha! Thanks for letting me know!

                                                      Aranel