Re: [MEFAwards] Question about certain awards

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2010
      Hi Dancingkatz,

      You and Rhyselle are sisters? How neat, to have a fellow fanfic writer in
      the same house.

      Anyway... many moons ago, the different awards given - first place, second
      place, and third place - had themed banners, and themed names to go with
      them. For instance in the Drama main category, all first place stories
      received the "Turin Turambar Award" - and got a banner featuring Turin. All
      second place stories received the "Frodo Baggins Award," and all third-place
      stories received the "Faramir, Son of Denethor Award." The thinking was that
      these were three characters in Tolkien's works whose stories were
      particularly dramatic.

      We've since moved away from themed banners. This is because most people like
      banners that reflect the contents of their story. Someone who wrote a
      Legolas-and-Gimli story, that won a prize in the Drama category, could have
      received the Frodo Baggins award, and a Frodo-themed banner to go along with
      it. That might be a bit inappropriate. So instead we let artists create a
      pool of banners featuring as many characters and settings as possible, and
      winning authors can select whatever banner they like.

      Because of that change we don't often refer to the names of specific awards
      any more. "Second place in Genres: Drama: General" is simply easier to
      understand than "the Frodo Baggins Award," in many contexts.

      Hope that explains the award name. :-)

      P.S. - Out of curiosity, where did your sister see that name? I wasn't aware
      that the website still displayed it.

      Marta