Question about certain awards

  • Dancingkatz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2010
      I was checking out my sister, Rhyselle's, results and wondered what the Frodo Baggins Award was. Can anyone tell me? I want to congratulate her but I'd like to know what I'm congratulating her for. Thanks!

      BTW, I just realised that I had forgotten to change my email in my profile to my new one. I made the change today and wonder if I missed a notification of any sort since the announcement of the winners.

      Many thanks,

      Dancingkatz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2010
        Hi Dancingkatz,

        You and Rhyselle are sisters? How neat, to have a fellow fanfic writer in
        the same house.

        Anyway... many moons ago, the different awards given - first place, second
        place, and third place - had themed banners, and themed names to go with
        them. For instance in the Drama main category, all first place stories
        received the "Turin Turambar Award" - and got a banner featuring Turin. All
        second place stories received the "Frodo Baggins Award," and all third-place
        stories received the "Faramir, Son of Denethor Award." The thinking was that
        these were three characters in Tolkien's works whose stories were
        particularly dramatic.

        We've since moved away from themed banners. This is because most people like
        banners that reflect the contents of their story. Someone who wrote a
        Legolas-and-Gimli story, that won a prize in the Drama category, could have
        received the Frodo Baggins award, and a Frodo-themed banner to go along with
        it. That might be a bit inappropriate. So instead we let artists create a
        pool of banners featuring as many characters and settings as possible, and
        winning authors can select whatever banner they like.

        Because of that change we don't often refer to the names of specific awards
        any more. "Second place in Genres: Drama: General" is simply easier to
        understand than "the Frodo Baggins Award," in many contexts.

        Hope that explains the award name. :-)

        P.S. - Out of curiosity, where did your sister see that name? I wasn't aware
        that the website still displayed it.

        Marta