lotrfanfiction back online

  • Tanaqui
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 28, 2009
      Hi All

      I'm sure you'll all be pleased to hear that lotrfanfiction
      (http://www.lotrfanfiction.com/) is back online.

      I'll be swapping back all alternative URLs that authors supplied, so
      that the MEFA site once more links to lotrfanfiction for those stories.

      Thanks

      Tanaqui
      MEFA Admin Team
    • Agape 4Rivendell
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 28, 2009
        My gosh - many thanks to all those involved in this - the MEFA volunteers
        are incredible....

        Just a small thought on the 'happenings' with regards to websites.

        One site that I follow closed down last month due to the mod's RW issues and
        such.

        One site that a friend follows closed down this month due to that mod's RW
        issues and such.

        I'm sure there are others that I don't know of and lotrfanfic site's
        problems just makes me ponder the future.

        I think that we all, myself included, must continue to support and nurture
        the sites that we are involved with or post at or read.... notes of
        encouragment, perhaps monetary donations, and especially 'activity' at these
        sites are paramount to keeping folks who love LOTR and all things related to
        it - up and running.... it has been too many years since I read the books
        and fell in love with Tolkien's world... but since the movies came out, my
        'involvement' has increased exponentially. Others though, have been in the
        'field' much longer and can become tired, burnt out, distracted. To keep
        these dedicated folks going (and their websites), I think it would behoove
        us all to take a moment at least twice a year to say 'huzzah! thank you!' -
        I don't think it can hurt.

        Again, huzzah and thank you to the MEFA volunteers, those who submit, those
        who review, and those who write. I do so enjoy this competition for the
        plethora of materials and sites it brings to my attention.

        Blessings and happy holidays!
        Agape

        --
        Life's been good to me so far!!! Praise God!

      • Tanaqui
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 28, 2009
          Thanks for the thanks, Agape - it does help!

          Regarding archives closing down due to real-world issues and so on,
          there's a fannish project to try and rescue archives when that happens.

          It's run by the Organization for Transformative Works (you can read
          about all the other fanfic/fanwork and fan-related things the OTW gets
          up to at http://transformativeworks.org/). The archive rescue project is
          called "Open Doors" and details can be found at
          http://transformativeworks.org/projects/opendoors.

          If you know of an archive that's at risk of being shut down, please do
          let the person running the archive know about Open Doors. Maybe OTW can
          help them keep the archive content online.

          Tanaqui