9336MEFA Reviews for Friday, August 1, 2008 (Part One)

  • Ann
    Aug 1, 2008
      Title: Elanor of Westmarch: Still There · Author: Baranduin · Genres:
      Drama: Final Partings · ID: 183
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-07-23 12:52:19
      Spoilers!
      There are so many little things that tie us to the lives we have
      chosen; and for Elanor it is a quilt, one that had once covered the
      bed of Frodo Baggins. After taking leave of her father one last time
      she finds comfort in it.

      A sweet tale, filled with the longing such partings bring and the
      tearing ache as we think of the choice between loves departed and
      loves remaining.

      Title: Fidelis · Author: Pentangle · Genres: Drama: Hurt/Comfort · ID: 612
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-07-23 13:18:14
      This is a beautifully written story. The OC character death brought me
      to tears, but it fits the story. The conflict in this story is set up
      gradually and the tension is heightened from chapter to chapter with
      just the right pacing.

      The story is well-balanced between narrative and dialogue. The
      backstory of the characters is thrown in in just the right-sized bites.

      Aragorn is torn between his oath as a healer and what he thinks is
      best for his patient. The two sides of the conflict are embodied by
      Kenuric, an OC character, and Legolas, who both have strong arguments
      for their desired cause of action, with Aragorn caught in the middle.
      After the conversation Aragorn had with Kenuric, I thought he had the
      right of it, only to be swayed by Legolas' reasoning.

      Making the whole situation even more difficult is an underlying issue
      between Aragorn and Legolas, which was never acknowledged, but now
      comes to a head.

      The characters, canon and original, are deftly drawn. They all have
      their own personalities with their quirks and faults. My favorite
      character is Kenuric, who has grown a lot from the time of [The Taming
      of the Badger] to this story.

      I love the burial rites Legolas and Aragorn carry out at the end of
      the story. It is a fitting ritual.

      Title: Seas of Fate · Author: Thundera Tiger · Races: Cross-Cultural:
      Elves and Men · ID: 487
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-07-23 13:18:48
      Spoilers!
      In this story Legolas seeks advice from Imrahil about the sea. I like
      Imrahil's correction of Legolas' ideas about the sea. The story has a
      melancholy feel to it which stems from the description of Legolas'
      sealonging, which Imrahil, at least on a basic level, can understand
      courtesy of the distant elven blood in his line.

      Title: Symbols of Love · Author: Larner · Genres: Adventure · ID: 130
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-07-23 13:19:23
      This is an exciting step for the two boys, going on their first patrol
      with their fathers.

      I love the way in which you show how much they love being counted
      among the members of the patrol, but at the same time showing that
      they are not quite grown up in Elboron's impulsive deed.

      I loved the story of the quilt, although I'm not sure it is quite
      practical to drag along on patrols.

      Title: Wars of the Valar · Author: Fiondil · Genres: Longer Works · ID: 3
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-07-23 13:20:08
      This story concentrates on the Valar. Each of the Valar and some of
      their chief Maia gets their own distinctive voice and personality.
      Since there is little known aside from their general occupation about
      the Valar, it is fascinating to watch how the author incorporates
      their primary functions into their personalities and characteristics.

      My personal favorite is Namo, who we see grow and come into his own
      throughout the story. I love the sense of time going by in eons during
      this story, since these are immortals and time naturally has another
      meaning for them than for us.

      The story is grim and dark in places, but there is always a good dose
      of humor to lighten the mood. I love the banter between Orome and Namo
      in the last chapters published and can't wait for more updates.

      Title: All That Remained · Author: Allee · Genres: Drama: Featuring
      the Noldor · ID: 155
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-07-23 13:25:10
      Spoilers!
      I love this story because Gilraen's grief about Arathorn's death is
      portrayed here so different than in the few other stories I have read
      about this topic. The story is very dark in places and as a reader
      with a clear rational mind you ask yourself how can she not see what
      is right in front of her? But grief is a strange thing and can take on
      many faces.

      Gilraen's grief brings to the surface another grief in Elrond's
      household which has not been dealt with in a long time. I love it how
      Gilraen and the twins help each other in their different ways of
      coping with grief one breath at a time.

      Gilraen in this story becomes a person in her own right with flaws and
      strengths she has to discover in herself. She is allowed to grieve or
      she just does it, no matter what anyone else expects from her. Elrond
      seems to be the only one able to understand her. I like the
      description of the reaction of the visitors to her behavior, since I
      think this is typical for people not really close to the person grieving.

      I like it that the twins are each their own person, too. They might
      look alike, but their personality is very different from each other
      and therefore their ways of coping with grief.

      The pain will not go away immediately, but at the end of the story
      there is a ray of hope on the horizon.

      Title: And so our friendship began... · Author: Amarok · Races:
      Cross-Cultural: Elves and Men · ID: 281
      Reviewer: obsidianj · 2008-07-23 13:26:35
      Spoilers!
      This is another of those Aragorn meets Legolas for the first time
      stories. And while the premise is not new, the execution is unique. In
      this story Legolas meets Aragorn for the first time as prisoner of a
      band of humans, Aragorn among them. The meeting starts out bad and
      gets worse from there.

      Legolas' impression of these humans is not the best and when he
      realizes who Aragorn is, old prejudices and stories from his father
      about the treacherous Isildur and humans fighting on Sauron's side
      during the Last Alliance raise their ugly head.

      I was fascinated by the way Legolas interprets any of Aragorn's
      actions through the filter of his prejudice and comes to conclusions,
      the reader doesn't expect in a story about the beginning of the
      friendship between the two. Through the filter of Legolas' logic all
      his actions make a twisted sense, but the reader, at least this
      reader, wants to shake him and tell him to really look at this human.

      Aragorn is still very young in this story. His reaction to Legolas'
      seeming irrationality when this is an elf and so should be an ally to
      him, is touching to read.

      I love the way both characters are drawn, although Legolas is the more
      unusual characterization.

      There are some heart stopping moments in this story until finally the
      two see eye to eye.

      I can only recommend this story to every Legolas/Aragorn fan.

      Title: The Haradric Whore and Her Son · Author: annmarwalk/EdorasLass
      CoAuthors · Races: Cross-Cultural · ID: 124
      Reviewer: Oshun · 2008-07-23 18:37:24
      I truly enjoyed this story on so many levels. The underlying
      relationship with Boromir and Theodred is beautifully portrayed if
      largely implicit. The poignancy of the interpretation of loyalty in
      the context of lengthy separation is handled in a human and sensitive
      manner: not all high-flown, angsty, and unlikely, which is more the
      norm for stories of this sort.

      The descriptions of the OMC Gaersum (OMG, isn't he gorgeous) and his
      mother are beautifully detailed. He was fascinating to me, because at
      first I couldn't really follow where you were taking him (almost had a
      moment there where I wondered he is fell somewhere on the autistic
      spectrum, but you cleared that up and gave him a plausible explanation
      for his social reservations and inward-looking personality).

      His mother's story is sad and beautiful in its own right. I was
      entranced by the level of Boromir's consideration of the boy, his
      sensitivity to the cultural elements involved, and his growing
      admiration for the mother. Instead of feeling that Boromir had some
      how been selfish, I was left feeling that, in the end, he made both of
      their lives a whole better by his choices and how he sought to handle
      them.

      This is a beautifully written, complex, without being either rigid and
      preachy or blithely ammoral, and a fundamentally human story.

      Title: The Apprentice · Author: pandemonium_213 · Races: Villains · ID: 52
      Reviewer: whitewave · 2008-07-23 20:06:19
      Spoilers!
      Chapter One. The first few paragraphs drew me in, even if initially, I
      found the scientific terms a bit "unusual" for a Tolkien fanfic. I'm
      glad I pressed on. The character's cunning and extreme attention to
      details seemed to me most promising, to me, that was what clinched the
      deal. The way you ended the chapter left me wanting to read more,
      which is just what I did and I was definitely not disappointed.

      Chapter Two. The title character had me intrigued from the very
      start--what will become of him? Will he turn to evil? He's managed to
      keep my attention even if he is an OMC. The introduction of
      Tyelperinquar and seeing how Aulendil was doing in Eregion, knowing
      what he was really up to and what will eventually happen made for an
      excellent start of the chapter. By this time I've managed to lose my
      initial reservations about the "scientific" words and have started to
      feel that they really belong to the story. Eventhough the Feanorians
      are not really the focus of the story, I must say I enjoy reading all
      the "side stories" you wrote about them. I loved the curve ball
      question on athelas in this chapter.

      Chapter Three. I shared in Samaril's surprise about his initial
      "minor" tasks. It was a "huh???" moment for me. Reminded me of the
      "wax on wax off" bit in Karate Kid--just kidding. Seriously, I tried
      to "forget" that I know how things will end for Eregion and Aulendil.
      I was torn between thinking that maybe he's not as evil as Melkor
      after all. Or maybe NOT, especially seeing that he could possibly read
      the thoughts of his apprentice and most likely everyone else's.

      Chapter Four. I smiled at Aulendil's honesty in his line: ["I don't
      bite, or at least I don't these days..."]
      His admission of snoring is a nice touch, but later on I had
      goodsebumps when I read about his moodiness and coldness. The mention
      of Aulendil's "loved ones" and his line: [I would have been sent
      summarily to the parlor to sleep had I done that at home,] had me
      intrigued. Is he married or living with someone?

      Chapter Five. I loved the anecdotes about Curumo very much plus it is
      similar to my impression of Saruman (?). My favorite line here was:
      "[...He was so stiff and humorless that he made himself
      an easy target for us. The braggart yammered on and on about his
      precision at drawing out a particular alloy. So one day, we oiled the
      handle of his hammer...Curumo had to sweet soot for weeks
      afterwards..."] And also that part about Nessa's dance slippers.

      Aulendil's remark about the beauty of the countryside struck me as so
      bittersweet. It seemed to me that he may or may not be "reconsidering"
      his plans? His brotherly interaction with Tyelpo in this chapter was
      heartbreaking since we know what's going to happen.

      Chapter Six. Very interesting take on how the rings of power were
      crafted. Liked the side comment about Feanaro.

      Chapter Eight. I liked the line: "[...yet Elven men will not deign to
      have much to do with these women. Great Yavanna, and you're the same
      damn species."] Most of the pairings are between elven women and
      mortal men so Aulendil's "concept" in this chapter was refreshing.

      Chapter Nine. This chapter has the most chilling glimpse of the dark
      side of Aulendil and his struggle with it. It reminded me of a
      character I read once who had multiple personality disorder. I felt
      afraid for Samaril here, I think that he has somehow reached the point
      where he notices that something is amiss but just turns a blind eye to it.

      Chapter Ten. This is my favorite chapter in that Samaril has come a
      long way both in his talent and in his interaction with his master. If
      only Samaril knew just what it was that he made. It's just so perfect
      how it blends with what was written by Tolkien and how you fleshed it out.
      My favorite line is: ["You are hopeless, Samaril. You just don't know
      how hopeless yet."]

      Chapter Eleven. Here I found myself thinking what could have
      happenened had Aulendil submitted to the Valar, it's something I've
      never thought I'd ever feel for a character like him. I think it was
      touching that he actually misses the elves, it just adds to his
      "charm" somehow.
      This line gave me goosebumps: ["...Melkor, the heart of darkness,
      worthy of worship and of sacrifices made on his behalf. Such worship
      and sacrifice are among many things that I will bring about when
      I cast the One."] It convinced me that Aulendil had lost to Gorthaur
      by his own choice.

      Chapter Twelve.
      The last encounter of Aulendil/Gorthaur with Samaril was simply
      unforgettable. Needless to say, I enjoyed this story immensely and
      even if you modified the characters' names and the setting and
      "de-Tolkienized" it I'd still enjoy it. It has all the right stuff
      that I enjoy reading about--drama, comedy, tragedy and hope. There are
      points where I am torn between analyzing just what it was that drew me
      in and just sitting back and enjoying the story as it unfolds. I am
      satisfied with how you tied the loose ends but could not help but wish
      for more so it was great that you wrote a sequel. Thanks very much for
      sharing this.

      Title: Wormtongue · Author: Mariole · Races: Villains · ID: 240
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-07-23 20:45:13
      Spoilers!
      Ah--two of our favorite villains together--Lotho Sackville-Baggins and
      Grima Wormtongue. Lotho cannot openly name himself the prisoner he
      knows himself to be; cannot allow himself to imagine his mother isn't
      just off visiting relatives in Hardbottle but instead has been dragged
      to the Lockholes; cannot allow himself to accept openly that when
      Sharkey has no further use for him he will be killed, although he
      knows all of these--and more--are true.

      And tonight as Wormtongue brings him a poorly prepared meal, the two
      share fantasies--in an odd, distorted way, but completely in keeping
      with their relationship--before Wormtongue follows Sharkey's final
      commands regarding the Hobbit.

      Well told, and satisfyingly horrible. Very much worth the read.

      Title: A Problem Shared · Author: Dot · Races: Elves: Mirkwood Elves ·
      ID: 169
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-07-23 21:25:04
      Ah, Wizards--those of the late Third Age find it difficult to live
      with them, and yet for all their mysterious nature they also manage to
      impart knowledge through riddles and deliberately vague hints,
      heartening at the same time they frustrate! I feel so for Thranduil's
      frustration as well as his delight once he sees the message in the
      Wizard's apparent rambling discourse.

      A wonderful tale!

      Title: Philosophia to Philomythus and Misomythus · Author:
      pandemonium_213 · Genres: Poetry · ID: 50
      Reviewer: Larner · 2008-07-23 21:29:57
      Spoilers!
      Oh, how wonderful as mythologist and scientist confront one another,
      the scientist seeing the same beauty as the mythologist, but from a
      different point of view! A wonderful poem of delight as we watch the
      rebuttal made!

      Title: Maglor's Harp · Author: Ford of Bruinen · Genres: Horror · ID: 660
      Reviewer: Imhiriel · 2008-07-23 21:46:13
      Spoilers!
      Lush prose, eerie in its imagery and its only hinted-at implications,
      and thus well-suited for this story, as is the leisurely pace. It
      lulls the readers into a false sense of security, and as the narrative
      goes on, there is such a slow, gradual increase of horror that it is
      paradoxically difficult to really take in the reality of what is told.

      Maglor's insanity is conveyed very hauntingly in its gradual
      unfolding. The view through his eyes made me shudder, this seemingly
      so natural, reasonable rationalisation of needing to prepare for an
      audience, of imagining an audience to which to sing to, finding the
      perfect harp. His ["single-minded obsession"] to detail in his "quest"
      to the exlusion of all reflection is conveyed very vividly, and I like
      how this is used to describe his surroundings, to paint a picture of
      the scenery at the beach.

      In his search for perfection without regard to natural feelings or
      conscience, without any moral compass, Maglor reminds me sharply of
      Grenouille, the protagonist in Patrick Süskind's ["Das Parfum"].

      Title: Tree of Knowledge · Author: Nancy Brooke · Times: Late Third
      Age: Gondor Drabbles · ID: 172
      Reviewer: viv · 2008-07-23 21:50:24
      The Denethor voice here is pure poetry, and in it you can hear both
      his noble history and his current (as of the setting of the drabble)
      palantir-induced fugue. There is a tendency when writing Denethor
      circa the ring war to portray him as unthinkingly vile, as Peter
      Jackson did in the movie. But Nancy Brooke hasn't gone that route
      here, and in fact she never does. Even though Denethor is obviously
      paranoid and distressed and under a certain thrall of Darkness, in
      this short piece you can still see a spark -- small yet, but there --
      of the noble Steward and attentive father he is at his core, the
      character as Tolkien wrote him before the long spiral downward. Plus,
      the wording itself is economical, and did I mention poetic?

      Title: The Houseless · Author: Jael · Genres: Horror · ID: 178
      Reviewer: viv · 2008-07-23 21:56:28
      I enjoy a spooky ghost story just as much as the next former girl
      scout. This one conjures nights spent around camp fires, spinning
      yarns, edging closer to the fire and away from the darkness, and
      generally trying to creep out my friends. However, this story
      accomplishes all that ambiance and atmosphere with a Tolkienesque
      twist thrown! I shivered happily through the forshadowing, the ghosty
      details, and the poignant, downright *sad* ending. Throughout the
      whole, I thought Jael's characterizations were very strong, and her
      sense of pacing, to get the ghosty moment *just right* left me in awe.
      What a great mood piece!

      Title: Out, Damn'd Spot! Out, I Say! · Author: Alassante · Races:
      Elves: Noldor Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 260
      Reviewer: viv · 2008-07-23 21:58:38
      Several things stand out in this short piece (which is pretty amazing,
      considering Alassante only had 100 words to work with, but she still
      managed to fit all these thematic and character Issues into a bitty
      little drabble). One is Maedhros's clear leadership ability, which
      makes his later denial of his kingship even more tragic, even though
      it was the diplomatic thing to do. Already, in this story, you can see
      that he is better than Feanor at gaining the confidence and trust of
      the people he's leading. Also, you can see here the intense *feeling*
      of Celebrimbor. All that he did later on when he was hanging out with
      the Gwaith-i-Mírdain is foreshadowed in this piece by his guilt and
      obsessive compulsion (so evident, and even clinical). Finally,
      Alassante depicts Feanor as a punk (here; not in all her writings,
      alas), which is exactly how I've always seen him, so I totally dig it.
      Great job at conveying all these subtexts, and especially in such a
      cramped word-count, Alassante. This is what drabbles are all about, as
      far as I'm concerned.

      Title: The Last Throw · Author: nau_tika · Genres: Drama · ID: 556
      Reviewer: viv · 2008-07-23 22:16:21
      The authorial decisions in this piece are just brilliant. I love the
      voice, how it feels that the narrator is speaking directly to me, the
      intimacy of the piece. My grandfather fought in a vicious war and
      never spoke of it. I can only imagine the horrors he saw. So it
      resonates that this man, this unnamed soldier of Gondor, feels that he
      must tell the story while it's fresh in his mind, so that his children
      (and, later, his children's children) will know why he fought, and
      what it was like. It is, as he says, [important for them to
      understand]. As a listener, er reader, I can almost feel his family
      sitting beside me, listening with rapt attention to his tale. And
      since they, who are also audience, are literally *part* of the tale,
      then so am I, to some extent. Almost magically, you've transported me
      smack into Tolkien's tale. Thank you so much for the journey, this
      time through humble -- and personal -- eyes.

      Title: Hide the Knives · Author: Nieriel Raina · Genres: Humor: Gondor
      · ID: 485
      Reviewer: viv · 2008-07-23 22:27:27
      I am a big fan of Aragorn/Arwen fourth-age fics, but most of that
      subgenre tend to be kind of serious. So I was very happy to see this
      one threaded with humour. And being a mama myself, I can relate to
      Arwen's, er, peculiar mental state. hee. Not for nuthin were the elf
      princesses of old regarded with awe and terror! Aragorn had better
      watch out for himself! When he started to laugh after her apology, I
      could almost hear it: kind of thin and nervous, eh? What a fun read
      this was!

      Title: Kin-Strife · Author: Isabeau of Greenlea · Genres: Drama:
      Incomplete · ID: 92
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2008-07-23 22:47:54
      Spoilers!
      Given that this story was responsible for attaching a monstrous,
      novel-sized nuzgul to my ankle, my feelings for it are mixed. One can
      read it as the unfolding of a friendship through a time of trial,
      which it is. But the trial that organizes the first half of the story
      is no ordinary one, but one born of racism and a failure of feudal
      responsibility that just happens to cut through a friendship between
      lord and servant, who are also Dunadan and Southron. This sets up a
      struggle for redemption that colors the story up through chapter
      six-ish, and one that affects more than just Imrahli and Andrahar - it
      also sets up horrifically fanged nuzgul for unwary fanfic authors.

      After the legal resolution, however, there remains the question of how
      friendship will unfold, and it passes through a number of issues that
      would litter the path of young noblemen trying to find their place in
      a feudal world that they have not yet inherited. The confusion of
      different kinds of love and loyalty, leading to a botched experiment
      in sexual love enjoins negotiating a recovery from that mismatch of
      brotherly and romantic love. The effects of poor choices return to
      haunt Imrahil in other ways as well, and provide a catalyst for a
      relationship with ["the mysterious Captain Eagle of the Star"] that
      provides both a reciprocal testing of Imrahil's friendship with
      Andrahar and questions of Imrahil's place in the world. All of this
      together I think fits well with the characters' age and relative
      inexperience, making this not quite a coming-of-age story, but
      certainly a story of about beginning to grow up.

      Throughout, and despite trials and tribulations, the Imrahil-Andrahar
      friendship remains strong, and an example of true love, if not
      romantic love: both Imri and Andra discover that there are limits to
      their friendship that need to be respected, lest the friendship itself
      lose its capacity for honesty and fall into a kind of sad infatuation
      that lingers past the point when dignity and liking part ways. With
      Imrahil, that's an especially important discovery, given his youthful
      dissolution and high rank.

      I'd be happy to get another chapter soon (hint hint)...

      Title: Elanor of Westmarch: Still There · Author: Baranduin · Genres:
      Drama: Final Partings · ID: 183
      Reviewer: Dwimordene · 2008-07-23 22:48:03
      Spoilers!
      This is a lovely, quiet piece of familial drama, and uses Elanor's
      perspective beautifully. The tenderness of the father-daughter
      relationship, the details of Sam's arrival at Elanor's home - after
      midnight, keeping the moment of meeting and parting between him and
      his beloved daughter - the discussion of the hat, and the sense of
      Sam's steady paring away of the things that tie him to Middle-earth
      are well-portrayed.

      Elanor's relationship with the three towers was also fantastic, one of
      my favorite moments of the book. The watchtowers become persons in
      their own right, and sisters to Elanor, sisters whose personification
      draws out a whimsical aspect of Elanor's nature that suggests a
      certain prolonging of the magical in her mind. Very well done!

      The moment of temptation, to follow her father, and the sense of her
      hanging there in the balance, fits well: she is a hobbit born in later
      times, the daughter of legends, with an unearthly flower name - she
      straddles the division between the legendary and the mundane from the
      side of mundane time. Like her father and Frodo, she, too, is torn,
      but where Sam and Frodo, and in a way, Merry, Pippin, and Aragorn,
      must seek a final healing beyond Middle-earth, Elanor's healing has to
      come within it, through her family. That fits the theme of the Fourth
      Age beautifully in my opinion. Well done!

      Title: A Cat in King Elessar's Court · Author: agape4gondor · Races:
      Cross-Cultural: Friendship · ID: 66
      Reviewer: mbumpus_99 · 2008-07-24 01:40:47
      It is always interesting to read canon events from unusual
      perspectives, and this tale certainly is one of the most creative uses
      of that plot device I've ever read. Agape4gondor takes us on an inside
      track in Minas Tirith, courtesy of one of Beruthiel's cat's progeny.
      We meet all of our canon characters and watch as the Ring War comes to
      an end through feline eyes. Our little hero even has a few surprises
      for our canon characters as time goes alone.

      This is a delightful read, and one that I will probably revisit over
      and over again as time goes on. I appreciated the author's note,
      originally posted in the midst of posting the piece and still valid
      and interesting when read as a footnote. Time and care went into the
      writing of this tale - and I would recommend it highly to everyone who
      hasn't seen the story from the mouth of the Cat In King Elessar's Court.

      Well done, agape4gondor. Well done.

      Title: Wind and Fire · Author: elfscribe · Times: First Age and Prior
      · ID: 539
      Reviewer: Dawn Felagund · 2008-07-24 02:29:09
      Spoilers!
      With one of the first lines of "Wind and Fire"--["Thou, Feanor!"]--I
      wanted to dislike the archaic style that is too often overused and
      abused in Tolkien fanfic. It did not take Elfscribe long in this
      story, however, to convince me to do otherwise, and this story has
      since become a favorite of mine.

      "Wind and Fire" is an elegant and gracefully written piece about the
      most unlikely of pairings. While the unconventional pairing might
      dissuade some, I encourage those with an open mind to take a chance on
      this story. Aside from a beautifully wrought and effortless style,
      Elfscribe uses canon to excellent effect to explore several important
      concepts in this piece.

      First is the idea of what it might be like for a being of spirit, like
      a Vala, to be clothed in flesh. Does such an individual feel the same
      longings and desires as the Children of Eru? How does he learn to
      command it ... or does he not? These questions form the basis for the
      story's pairing, as Manwe comes to terms with what it means to be a
      creature of flesh with desires of the flesh.

      Secondly is the enigma of the Silmarils. Why does Feanor remark that
      their unmaking shall be the death of him? Elfscribe takes him at his
      word in this piece and puts forth an entirely plausible scenario of
      how the Silmarils gained not only their exceptional beauty but also
      their hold over their maker.

      Beautifully written, thought-provoking, and erotically charged, "Wind
      and Fire" is a must-read First Age story.

      Title: Gently Held · Author: viv · Genres: Romance: Other Fixed-Length
      Ficlets · ID: 6
      Reviewer: Dreamflower · 2008-07-24 02:41:09
      A beautiful reflection by Arwen of her love for Aragorn. I really
      appreciated her counting up the reasons she did *not* fall in love
      with him--it made her revelation of the reason she *did* even more
      resonant.

      Title: Recognition · Author: Dwimordene · Times: Late Third Age:
      Gondor Drabbles · ID: 481
      Reviewer: Dreamflower · 2008-07-24 02:43:17
      A very nice exploration of the theme of Eowyn's femininity. To have
      the POV be that of Ioreth was a masterful stroke: Ioreth speaks with
      the authority of the Wise Woman, and sees more than most.

      Title: A Fitting Occupation · Author: Radbooks · Races: Men: Pre-Ring
      War Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 601
      Reviewer: Dreamflower · 2008-07-24 02:43:52
      A very nice drabble set! I could just see the long-suffering father
      and the restless youngster. What a creative solution Bard had--most
      kings would think it a comedown for a prince to become an apprentice.
      But it makes sense that Bard, who was just an ordinary citizen of
      Laketown before he slew Bard would not have such an attitude, but
      would see the value in his son learning a craft.