8366MEFA Reviews for November 1, 2007 (Part 1)

  • Ann
    Nov 1, 2007
      Title: The Archives Incident · Author: Dreamflower · Genres:
      Adventure: Minas Tirith · ID: 38
      Reviewer: Bodkin · 2007-10-11 15:59:25
      Poor Frodo - trapped in a library. He must feel halfway between horror
      and euphoria. Although being without food and with rats might make the
      experience rather less pleasurable. Yes, it's a good job they were
      rescued when they were!

      Get Menelcar to put that ... charming poem ... to music! Although it
      might be best if he premiered it at a private gathering. I don't think
      Aragorn would much appreciate a public rendition. (And Frodo is
      kind-hearted enough to wish to keep the humiliation private.)

      This is a most entertaining story, Dreamflower.

      Title: Tea and Seedcake and the Influence of Hobbits · Author: Baggins
      Babe · Races: Cross-Cultural: Gondor · ID: 492
      Reviewer: PipMer · 2007-10-11 16:25:00
      This is a delightful story, making use of an OC named Merlindor. He is
      a merchant who is arriving in Minas Tirith for the first time since
      the end of the War, and he notices several things happening in the
      city that are the result of the influence of hobbits. His first time
      attending a hobbit-style 'tea' is wonderfully warm, funny and
      heartfelt. This story really brings home the fact that Tolkien
      considered hobbits to be central to his story; not just Frodo and Sam,
      but the other hobbits as well.

      Well done.

      Title: Some Dark Place · Author: Raksha the Demon · Genres: Adventure:
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 226
      Reviewer: Oshun · 2007-10-11 20:27:52
      A thoughtful and beautifully constructed story which answers a
      question in the text which has always intrigued this reader. I am not
      a fan of the horror genre, but do like the relationship of Aragorn and
      Halbarad, having been intrigued by particularly by Halbarad as he is
      protrayed in the RotK segment of LotR. This is one friendship that I
      would like to pursue myself some day. You do it so well with sparse,
      simple dialogue and the "thank you" that Aragorn gives him amounting
      to a single grasp of the shoulder of a true and trusted friend.
      Aragorn's fear is papable, but you manage to convey the concept that
      these wraiths are not capable of being outwitted and vanquished
      despite the terror they induce.

      Title: The Accidental King: Five Reasons Why Finarfin Deserves an
      Appreciation Month · Author: Dawn Felagund · Genres: Non-Fiction · ID: 5
      Reviewer: Oshun · 2007-10-11 21:05:46
      Dawn's exploration of the role of Finarfin in the context of the
      Silmarillion and in comparison to other members of his illustrious
      family is an interesting read. As she notes it is far too easy to
      dismiss Finarfin as a dull and/or underchieving member of a family
      filled with rash and intense overachievers. The other side of the
      coin, the even less appealing one for me, is Finarfin as a
      mild-mannered saint among a crowd of much more attractive sinners. I
      am glad that she tries to put to rest to the concept that the only
      motivation Finarfin could possibly have for returning to Aman is
      either fear or subservient respect for the Valar. I presume, as she
      does, that if either of those were the case he would not have traveled
      as far as he did.

      I still find it hard to accept Finarfin as the wisest of Finwë's sons.
      The most pragmatic or sycophantic? I would not go so far as to say
      that either. Perhaps he is neither, but rather, unlike most of his
      close kinsman, does not have an ego the size of Arda and is able to
      step back and make decisions regarding where he could most readily
      serve his people. Who would have taken charge of the Noldor in his
      absence? Or was anyone really needed to fill this role? Dawn asserts
      that someone was needed and that Finarfin knew that and took upon
      himself that responsibility. Whether or not one agrees with her
      position, she raises an interesting discussion in this article and
      provides her own logical and thoughtful considerations. I would
      definitely agree with Dawn on one question. Finarfin is interesting.
      Also, he produced children who were driven, brilliant and bold. A dull
      non-entity is unlikely to do that.

      Title: Second Mum · Author: Larner · Genres: Drama: The Shire · ID: 82
      Reviewer: Raksha the Demon · 2007-10-12 02:07:05
      A gentle tapestry of hobbit life and traditions; spotlighting the
      connection between Frodo and the one who helped raise him, Esmerelda
      Brandybuck, from Frodo's birth to Esme's passing. Larner invests the
      story with her usual rich detail.

      Title: Glimpses from Cormallen · Author: Marigold · Times: Late Third
      Age: 3018-3022 TA: Other Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 614
      Reviewer: Linda hoyland · 2007-10-12 02:24:35
      These are a heartwarming and delightful series of drabbles detailing
      Pippin's recovery at Cormallen.
      Pippin is occasionally fretful, but his brave spirit always shines
      through as does Merry's devotion to him.
      I especially enjoyed the drabble featuring Aragorn where the Hobbit
      makes light of the King's warning that his injury might never
      completely heal.I also enjoyed the hints that Merry might make a
      future Healer.

      Title: The Lesson · Author: Branwyn · Genres: Drama: Gondor Drabble ·
      ID: 29
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:18:57
      Ah, how Branwyn has managed to show how those intended to be men of
      war are led into their profession, and how insidious our beloved
      Faramir finds that process. Exquisitely done.

      Title: Hazardous Going · Author: Auntiemeesh · Races: Hobbits:
      Hurt/Comfort · ID: 788
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:33:14
      A winter trip between Crickhollow and the Great Smials goes wrong when
      Pippin's pony puts her foot through the ice on a puddle and the young
      Took gets thrown. Merry has good reason to be grateful to Elrond,
      Aragorn, and the other healers he met on the quest for the lessons in
      healing and herblore he's absorbed.

      A marvelous vignette of Hobbit practicality and caring.

      Title: Beauty · Author: Marta · Races: Hobbits: Drabble · ID: 646
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:42:44
      We know that Samwise Gamgee had a special love, quite different from
      what he felt for his Rosie, for Frodo Baggins, and here it's
      eloquently expressed.

      Title: Three Arrows · Author: HikoMokushi · Genres: Drama: With Merry
      · ID: 717
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:43:55
      Boromir's sacrifice for Merry and Pippin as recounted by Merry, this
      is gently and poignantly expressed.

      Title: Glimpse of Glory · Author: Linda hoyland · Times: Late Third
      Age: 3018-3022 TA: General Drabble · ID: 575
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:45:51
      Ah, what Galadriel thought as she looked on Frodo after he offered her
      the Ring. Good reason indeed to gasp, I think, and wonderful response
      to the challenge prompt.

      Title: Aftershocks · Author: Gwynnyd · Times: Second Age: Drabble ·
      ID: 504
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:50:05
      If Elendil had made landfall in southern Gondor, it would be probable
      he would indeed have contacted his kinsman who was considered Lord of
      Cobas, later to be Dol Amroth.

      Love seeing this lord's love for his land and people.

      Title: Behold the King · Author: Linda hoyland · Races: Men: Other
      Fixed-Length Ficlet · ID: 433
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 08:59:23
      The King has returned, and we have two vignettes, as the new Steward
      Faramir prepares for the coronation on the morrow, and as the new King
      accepts the burden for which he has been prepared all these long years.

      One of Linda Hoyland's best works.

      Title: More Than Just Years · Author: Llinos · Genres: Adventure:
      Minas Tirith · ID: 362
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 09:03:10
      As a tiny Hobbit child, Pippin was given a silver ear of wheat as a
      charm against fear by Gandalf; and as (movie-verse) Pippin climbs the
      stack to the beacon of Minas Tirith he loses it, only to learn that
      the courage he'd always felt when he held and looked on it was within
      himself the whole time.

      A wonderful look at child-life within the Shire.

      Title: Pippin's Little Experiment · Author: Budgielover · Races:
      Cross-Cultural: With Pippin · ID: 291
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 09:14:22
      Visiting an inn for Men as well as Hobbits, perhaps Pippin could be
      forgiven for his desire to see just how springy a bed for Men might
      be--until he managed to bounce out the window and avoid a great fall
      only at the expense of embarrassment and a few splinters. And after
      that Frodo still wanted his other tobacco pouch!

      Marvelous fun. (And beware tobacco bargains offered by the S-Bs.)

      Title: Great Books · Author: Lady Aranel · Genres: Humor · ID: 149
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 09:26:54
      It is Legolas's first visit to Imladris, and the twins are set on
      convincing him to avoid seeking to seduce their sister.

      Humorous, although I doubt Arwen was in much danger, even if she had
      been reading the tale of Beren and Luthien.

      Title: Fruition · Author: EdorasLass · Genres: Alternate Universe:
      Gondor or Rohan · ID: 7
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 09:36:14
      A marvelous and chilling Might-Have-Been had Adrahil, Imrahil, and
      Finduilas conspired to take the rule of Gondor by manipulating and
      betraying Denethor and Thorongil into a duel to the death. Well, well

      Title: The Gates · Author: Isabeau of Greenlea · Races: Dwarves · ID: 70
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 09:48:27
      Gimli had hoped to have a hand in the forging of the new gates for his
      friend Aragorn's new city, but learns that dealing with the folk of
      Gondor to see the project through is perhaps more important in the end
      is more important than the forgework needed.

      Beautiful characterizations.

      Title: Thoughts About The Old Forest · Author: pippinfan88 · Races:
      Hobbits: Gapfiller · ID: 141
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 09:57:37
      As they spend their one night in the Crickhollow house before daring
      the Old Forest, the conspirators and Frodo each has his own thoughts
      on what this adventure might mean.

      A marvelous look at anxiety and anticipation.

      Title: Duty Bound · Author: Bodkin · Genres: Romance: Pre-Ring War ·
      ID: 212
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 10:08:01
      There must be progeny of the House of Hurin to see to it the
      Stewardship does not fail, and for Boromir--once--there was a
      marriage. It did not last long, and he was only just beginning to
      appreciate his young bride when he lost her and their infant son to
      death. Now Pippin's question brings that time back to him--the
      unexpected pleasure of finding she had merit and skills and her own
      tenderness. But he's unwilling to speak openly of that lost chance for

      Very poignant, and well written as Bodkin's works always are.

      Title: Relaxation Techniques · Author: EdorasLass · Genres: Romance:
      Pre-Ring War · ID: 283
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 10:14:14
      A bad day at the office has nothing on an afternoon spent listening to
      the oily talk of Grima Wormtongue. At least Boromir is there to help
      Theoden relax....

      Title: Those Darned Socks! · Author: AmandaK · Genres: Alternate
      Universe: Gondor or Rohan · ID: 188
      Reviewer: Rhapsody · 2007-10-12 10:14:21
      Okay, the title of this story baited me. At first I thought, that's an
      alluring title, but in the end, my curiosity got the better of me. Set
      within the allusive sock!verse and the long road home!verse, I love
      the opening sequence and Amanda establishes a vivid & homely scene.
      The ficlet is simple of nature, yet it is a treat to get this insight
      in Boromir's mind where he realises that in his pride he could have
      learnt to master a simple skill as mending his socks when he had the
      chance. The author wove the memories of the quest and Boromir's youth
      into this little story very effectively, making sure that those who
      are not familiar with both verses still can find their bearings when
      reading this. Lovely written and now I just need to read the other
      piece in the sock!verse.

      Title: Friendship of Their Kind · Author: Dwimordene · Times: Early
      Third Age: 1-2850 TA · ID: 425
      Reviewer: Larner · 2007-10-12 10:27:04
      Aragost has reason to be upset with two of his men as they alert the
      dragon they've been hunting before their fellows are quite ready. So
      they are sent within the dragon's cave to see if the female they've
      slain left young, and they find bodies of men taken as prey and a
      cache of eggs.

      Now to learn the difference between the honor of the Dunedain and the
      ways of the Enemy.

      Very thought provoking.

      Title: Time · Author: Bodkin · Races: Cross-Cultural: Gondor · ID: 414
      Reviewer: Isabeau of Greenlea · 2007-10-12 10:36:38
      Legolas' investigation into the fate of one family in Ithilien that
      didn't leave quickly enough was very touching to me. His folk have
      endured such horrors as well, but of course Elves die and then get
      better. His horror that folk could live and die and be forgotten is
      both an interesting look at the way Elves regard memory and an
      exploration of their respect for life. Faramir's assistance in the
      matter-giving him access to the archives, hunting down witnesses that
      might be able to tell him what he wants to know, is in keeping with
      the young Steward who loves knowledge so much. Loved the scene with
      Mablung as well! A beautiful yet somber story, that shows a Legolas
      who is a caring prince as well as a warrior.

      Title: Responsibility · Author: Tanaqui · Races: Men: Gondor Drabble ·
      ID: 720
      Reviewer: Isabeau of Greenlea · 2007-10-12 10:40:58
      A chilling look at the sort of choices Denethor's decree causes
      Faramir. It is very like him to spare his men the guilt of such an
      action and do what is necessary himself.