7541Reviews for 1 November - part 1

  • Rhapsody
    Nov 1, 2006
      Title: King's Man · Author: Gandalfs apprentice · Times: The Great
      Years: Vignette · ID: 197
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-17 20:55:45
      I have always regretted that Halbarad did not survive the Pelennor. Nice
      Title: Beware the Sea · Author: Marta · Races: Elves: Other Fixed-Length
      Ficlet · ID: 404
      Reviewer: Dreamflower · 2006-10-17 22:30:03
      A beautiful set of drabbles, each one nice on its own, but collected
      together, they show the power of the sea-longing, from the First Age all
      the way to the Fourth. I was especially moved by Elrond's. Well done!
      Title: A Meara for Me! · Author: Súlriel · Genres: Non-Fiction · ID: 893
      Reviewer: Imhiriel · 2006-10-17 22:46:18
      Informative and readable, especially for people who have no or little
      knowledge of horses; a good source for appropriate vocabulary. (Little
      nitpick: the singular of "mearas" is "mearh".)
      Title: In Sequent Toil · Author: IgnobleBard · Genres: Adventure · ID: 941
      Reviewer: Gandalfs apprentice · 2006-10-17 22:49:32
      I have mixed feelings about this story. It started out very
      dramatically, grabbing my attention, and I was quite agog to find out
      what the Elf secret was. However, the truth was a big letdown and rather
      gimmicky, and the story seemed unfinished to me. Why would there be such
      a fuss about this map? I wasn't convinced. There has to be more to it,
      says I. I was sorry to be disappointed. I wanted to write a rave,
      because I like IgnobleBard's work. I wish I had a suggestion or two for
      how to fix the problem, because it could be a great tale.
      Title: Birthday Kisses · Author: Raksha the Demon · Times: Late Third
      Age · ID: 59
      Reviewer: Branwyn · 2006-10-17 23:46:04
      In this piece set shortly after Finduilas' death, Faramir's sixth
      birthday is celebrated at a subdued family get-together. The children
      and the little pup are believable and very cute. Faramir and a puppy are
      an irresistible combination! I love how, even at this young age, Faramir
      shows an understanding of animals. He knows how to approach the puppy
      without overwhelming or frightening it, and he also picks it up
      properly. Raksha's experience with dogs shows in this and also in the
      description of the greyhound.

      Yet despite the cute children and puppy, the story never descends into
      sentimentality; in fact, it has a steely subtext--even when Faramir is a
      small child, Denethor is incapable of showing any warmth toward him. He
      won't even take credit for his act of kindness in giving Faramir the
      puppy. And how characteristically selfish of Denethor to send away the
      family pet who would have been a comfort to his sons. His shadow
      engulfing the two children as he leans over Faramir is an ominous touch
      since he will cast a long and dark shadow in both their lives.

      It is so sad that Denethor both physically and verbally distances
      himself from his younger son! Imrahil's concern is well-expressed and
      Title: To The Abyss · Author: Minuialeth · Times: The Great Years:
      Poetry · ID: 403
      Reviewer: Branwyn · 2006-10-18 01:15:22
      In this poem, the fight with the Balrog is shown from Gandal's point of
      the view. The poet uses repetition very effectively. I especially liked

      [Death with each blow I delivered
      Death with each blow I received]

      to describe the fight as they fell. Though Gandalf can be very
      plainspoken, he does sometimes use a more formal manner of speech. The
      high diction is appropriate to the dramatic situation, and it is heroic
      without sounding stilted or quaint. Nice work!
      Title: Whispers of the Dragon · Author: Shirebound · Times: The Great
      Years: The Fellowship · ID: 916
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 07:32:51
      My favourite part of this is Sam's astute comment about the Ring's
      whispers to Frodo: [“It’s like that dragon from Mr. Bilbo’s adventure.
      That Smaug. He said dragons tell you just enough truth to make you
      believe everything they say. You stop listenin’ to yourself and start
      listenin’ to them. You can’t listen to dragons, that’s all. You can’t
      look ’em in the eye.” He looked at Frodo intently. “You can’t listen,
      Mr. Frodo. You just can’t.” ]
      Title: What Goes Around Comes Around · Author: Cathleen · Times: The
      Great Years: The Fellowship · ID: 726
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 07:34:39
      Excellent bonding by the Fellowship, with some very funny tales of the past!
      Title: Healing the Healer · Author: SlightlyTookish · Times: The Great
      Years: The Fellowship · ID: 935
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 08:04:42
      There are a lot of fics about our hobbits being healed by Aragorn, but
      this story is a nice bit of turn-about!

      The hobbits quick actions to heal Aragorn from his cold are very
      heart-warming, though the Man doesn’t think so at first. Gandalf’s words
      soon make him understand though, how high in the affections of the
      hobbits he actually is: [“They are trying to help in the only way they
      know,” Gandalf said after a few moments. “It is part of their nature, as
      hobbits, to care so deeply for others.”]

      There are some good glimpses of the individual characteristics of the
      hobbits in this. Merry is already very familiar with the use of
      medicinal herbs, Sam seeks to hasten Aragorn’s recovery with appropriate
      food, Pippin’s many experiences with illnesses allow him to give his
      cousins a wealth of good advice, accepted gravely, perhaps even sought,
      in how to best help their friend – I loved that Merry and Frodo’s close
      attention to Pippin here made Aragorn realise that Pippin had gained
      this knowledge by first-hand experience, confirmed by Gandalf’s words of
      explanation about Pippin’s illnesses; this is a favourite bit of fanon
      for me – and Frodo supervises the whole operation.

      Pippin’s surprise at Aragorn’s hairless feet was more than just sweet;
      it was a telling indication at just how innocent the youngest hobbit is
      about things outside the Shire.

      And when their efforts really work, Aragorn is appropriately
      appreciative and impressed. I loved the way that the story ended, with
      Boromir apparently going to be next to receive the ministrations of the
      hobbit healers!

      Title: Chance Encounter · Author: Dreamflower · Times: The Great Years:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 187
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 08:19:44
      This is a story that is enjoyable for many reasons. First is the
      wonderful detail. It is easy to imagine the action taking place, whether
      it is in the streets of the City, in the Court, or at a party at the
      Guesthouse of the Fellowship. This, in combination with the terrific
      dialogue, and situations, makes this tale eminently re-readable.

      The interactions of all of the characters are very well done and I am
      pleased to meet Menelcar again, a wonderful OC!

      My favourite part of this story is Pippin’s exciting adventures to help
      foil and capture the would-be hobbitnappers. After Pippin takes a
      particularly dastardly one down Aragorn whispers to the Man just how
      lucky he had been that his Sir Peregrin, slayer of a troll, hadn’t
      carried Trollsbane, and the Man’s reaction is superb! So are Frodo and
      Merry’s reactions to Pippin’s heroism.

      A very engaging story!

      Title: Shelter · Author: Shirebound · Times: The Great Years:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 217
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 08:24:42
      I enjoyed the care and honour showed to the hobbits here. The
      interactions of the Fellowship were lovely.
      Title: In the Service of the King · Author: grey_wonderer · Times: The
      Great Years: Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 138
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 08:58:56
      There are some wonderful moments in this story. I think that my
      favourite aspect of it is that thanks to Pippin’s words and actions,
      some of the more sceptical of Minas Tirith’s citizens come to understand
      that they have been gifted with a King that is worthy of their respect
      and who will rule them wisely. I love that when these citizens come to
      have an audience with him that they make it very plain that it is Sir
      Peregrin that convinced them that Aragorn will be a worthy King.

      Pippin’s efforts to aid the children of the City, who have no place
      where they *can* be children, is so very appropriate to the youngest
      member of the Fellowship, now grown so much in maturity. Grey Wonderer
      skilfully allows us to get to know some of these children, and the
      reader can’t help but be pleased that these youngsters will also benefit
      under Aragorn’s rule. The youngsters also learn a lot from Pippin, about
      maturity, responsibility, and doing what is right.

      The other hobbits learn something too – not to necessarily assume that
      Pippin’s motivations and actions are thoughtless or childish or any less
      worthy than their own. He has grown up and matured, but they have
      trouble acknowledging that. In this story they come a long way in
      accepting Pippin for who he has become, and come to understand that they
      cannot simply continue to treat him as the Pippin before the Quest. It
      is very clear that they have been unconsciously treating him thusly
      because of their own regret over what he has faced and overcome in this
      adventure. They regret that he had to grow up so quickly, but they must
      learn to deal with it - it does Pippin no favours to try to keep him as
      the Pippin he once was by their own treatment of him.

      This is one of Grey Wonderer's more serious tales, but it is not overly
      dramatic or dark. The issues are dealt with in a serious, but light and
      enjoyable way. An excellent read!

      Title: The Three Towers · Author: Shirebound · Times: The Great Years:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 113
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:03:49
      I like that this tale gives the rest of the Fellowship a chance to see
      where Frodo and Sam's path had led. An interesting idea, and a good read.
      Title: To See Justice Done · Author: Lindelea · Times: The Great Years:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 306
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:07:09
      Some almost unbearable angst here, as one has come to expect from
      Lindelea, but with a happy canonical outcome.
      Title: Awake · Author: Rabidsamfan · Times: The Great Years:
      Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 837
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:19:00
      I have longed for a story that fills the movie-verse gap of what
      happened after the Ring-bearers were rescued by the Eagles and when Sam
      walked through that door to see Frodo, no longer held in thrall by the
      Ring. This one is wonderful!

      From Sam’s slow awakening under the ministrations of his friends, to
      that last moment when he and Frodo see each other again, this story is
      filled with heart-touching moments and dialogue. Well done!

      Title: The Little Hobbit · Author: Claudia · Genres: Alternate Universe
      · ID: 680
      Reviewer: Dreamflower · 2006-10-18 09:23:56
      I was very pleasantly surprised at how lovely and sweet this story
      was--it was certainly not something I would ever have imagined as being
      possible. Aside from the slashiness--which was barely there, except as a
      plot device--it was quite like an actual fairy tale. I loved Merry in
      this, even though his role was limited. And Frodo was very believable as
      an incarnation of "the little mermaid". I liked also the very
      hobbitiness of the hobbits. A delightful surprise!
      Title: Four Conversations and A Dream · Author: Forodwaith · Times: The
      Great Years: Post-Sauron's Fall · ID: 90
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:32:51
      I had never considered the changes that Arwen might experience now that
      she is mortal; the extent to which she would lose her elvish senses in
      payment for what she had gained. A very thought provoking story in many
      Title: Pride Before The Fall · Author: AmandaK · Genres: Alternate
      Universe · ID: 742
      Reviewer: Dreamflower · 2006-10-18 09:33:23
      Dark, plausible, and very realistic look at what could have happened if
      Boromir had actually succeeded in gaining the Ring. Very well done!
      Title: Hidden on the Mountain · Author: Imhiriel · Times: The Great
      Years: Gondor Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 945
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:36:41
      I had never considered that it was Gandalf who had set the sapling in
      that high place. Very good!
      Title: But the Scent Still Lingers · Author: Imhiriel · Times: The Great
      Years: Gondor Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 947
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:42:07
      A beautiful drabble. Little did the woman realise at the time that she
      was dancing with the rightful King - I expect many citizens of the City
      will have similar memories, and will delight to learn that Elessar is
      their beloved Thorongil.
      Title: Following Orders · Author: EdorasLass · Times: The Great Years:
      Gondor Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 54
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:46:48
      Grim and chilling. I wonder how these men faced Faramir, once all was
      over, and to what duties they were set. Such callous, blind obedience is
      ignoble and dangerous, driven by fear or not.
      Title: Last Defence of the City · Author: Branwyn · Times: The Great
      Years: Gondor Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 96
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:49:41
      Denethor as he should have been! I wonder what the final outcome would
      have been had this actually taken place? Excellent drabble.
      Title: Gondor Needs No King · Author: Ribby · Times: The Great Years:
      Gondor Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 207
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:52:09
      Dark and chilling - reveals a lot and leaves a lot for us to imagine!
      Title: Holding the Line · Author: Marta · Times: The Great Years: Gondor
      Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 581
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:55:16
      Nice backstory to that moment in the film!
      Title: Drift · Author: Ribby · Times: The Great Years: Gondor
      Fixed-Length Ficlets · ID: 203
      Reviewer: Marigold · 2006-10-18 09:56:54
      An interesting answer as to how Boromir's funeral boat happened to drift
      towards Faramir when it did.