6453Re: [MEFAwards] Movie-verse versus Bookverse (Re: Question concerning Dwim's list)

    Dec 8 8:51 PM
      Hi Rhapsody,

      > > Having done the research does not guarantee a good
      > > interpretation, it just makes it less likely to be bad.
      >
      > Well that is a nice pat on the back for those authors who do spend
      > loads of amounts on doing very thorough research but are questioned
      > for canonical interpretation.

      Rhapsody, I'm not 100% sure... was this sarcasm? It's so hard to tell
      online.

      I'm all for people doing research; I do a fair amount myself. I do
      think we need to have a reasonable feel for what our readers can be
      expected to know, and if something is more obscure than that, we should
      take responsibility for "educating" them through authors' notes or
      what-not.

      > <snip>
      > >
      > >> I think you need to be aware of this as well. We all can't know
      > << every single detail of what Tolkien wrote or stated, we all miss
      > >> things when we read (or form our own idea about it)...
      > >
      > > You say "form our own idea about it" like this is both a bad thing
      > > and an avoidable thing.
      >
      > Well that is your interpretation of my words. I surely didn't mention
      > it that way. But when I read how Marta for example might give a person
      > less points because of it.. I am very much for own interpretation
      > because it is, for me, a good way to see a different perspective where
      > I never thought of before. For example, I might write a very arrogant
      > Boromir (with some good citations to back it up), but she adores him
      > and she doesn't agree with my intepretation of Boromir at all.. am I
      > rewarded with 2 points less then?

      I think it's a fact of life that, if we choose a difficult or uncommon
      characterisation, your piece has to be that much better to convince us
      of it. If I were to write, for example, Faramir as sexually promiscuous
      or or Feanor as a very sensitive kind of man (elf, you know what I
      mean) I'd be working at a natural disadvantage. This doesn't mean those
      stories can't work, but that they do need to be better to work. At
      least for me.

      I know there's more to this email, not to mention other emails that I
      want to answer. But I have been feeling thoroughly depressed and
      overwhelmed for several days now, and I really do need to turn in
      early. I think anything I say at this point will come across as
      snippety. So I'll do my best to get to the rest later. If I don't get
      to it, please don't think that it means less or that I don't *want* to
      or that I'm trying to ignore you. I'm just exhausted by various things
      going on (most RL and unrelated to MEFAs).

      Thanks for your patience!