6430Movie-verse versus Bookverse (Re: Question concerning Dwim's list)

  • dwimmer_laik
    Dec 3, 2005
      --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, rabidsamfan <rabidsamfan@v...>
      wrote:

      > See, I'd call that a blend right off the bat, as Bard is drawn
      strictly from
      > the books and Gimli blowing the horn is definitely from the film,
      and the
      > story is doing its best to bind those two things into a single
      whole.

      > Part of the problem, I guess, is that I don't ask that question
      first. And
      > it is the first question on Dwim's form.
      >
      > To quote:
      >
      > [My story is:
      >
      > 1. Bookverse: based on the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien and/or drafts
      > made available by C. Tolkien
      > 2. Filmverse: based on a film adaptation of "The Lord of the
      Rings" or
      > "The Hobbit"...]
      >
      > Now when I think "Bookverse" I don't include anything from
      Tolkien's letters
      > or HoME, or even Unfinished Tales. If I were better acquainted
      with the
      > Silmarillion, I'd definitely include that in my thinking, but
      mostly I think
      > of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (and in their "most
      corrected" form,
      > at that) as being the basic canon of the Bookverse.

      Ok, let's start again.

      The "Bookverse/Movieverse" option, the way I have it, is intended to
      talk about which source material you're using for your story.

      Now, given that absolutely uninflected, stripped down sentence, I am
      not consistent in requiring an author to choose between them if said
      author has used both books and movies.

      However, the work that that filter *can* do is to show us which fics
      should be moved into the movieverse category on the grounds that a
      movieverse story has a different set of canonical events governing
      it.

      A third layer of interpretation is taking each fic according to what
      appears as the author's intention: is the author attempting to say
      something about the movieverse events, even if by drawing
      significantly on bookverse events/personalities (this is what I
      would understand Marta's fic to be doing) or is it attempting to say
      something about bookverse events/personalities, even if by
      incorporating movieverse elements that seem to point in certain
      directions? Here, I don't think it makes sense to have a "blend"
      option.

      Given that, the problem point is going to be deciding what the
      function of the filter is. Do we want to use it to mark out stories
      that probably should go into a category on their own? Or do we want
      it to function just to let readers know what source material they
      may need in order to make sense of the story? If the latter, we have
      to find another place to put movieverse as a category or decide if
      we want that to be a category (I personally would go with a
      movieverse category provided it meets the 2x5 viability criterion);
      we have to make sure that those filling in the form understand it's
      not redundant as a question.

      If the former, then *if* we added "blend" we would have to define
      what it is that "blend" is trying to do that clearly separates it
      from "movieverse" and "bookverse", which I'm not convinced we've
      done, at least not on any basis other than "I just happen to use two
      different sources". If we fail to do that, then I think there's too
      little to give readers a sense of why this is a category, and it may
      end up being a sort of catch-all with no clear sense of cohesion.
      Granted, with big categories like "Drama" there's also that danger,
      but I think people have a better sense of what "dramatic" means and
      can see more or less why it makes sense, *given the aim of the
      story*, to put it in drama (or Elves, or post-Ring War, etc.).

      > Hmm. I can see that what I really need to do is
      > explain how I would do it if I were in charge of the universe.
      >
      > Okay. Might take me a day or so, depending on the insomnia. I'll
      go hunt
      > up Dwim's most current form of the form and see if I can make a
      coherent
      > contribution.

      I'm at work, so I can't access the form at home on my computer,
      which has changed slightly due to Kathy's pointing out some errors
      and oversights. I think I'll post the form in the YahooGroup's site
      Files when I get a chance, and then update it when needed. That
      should make it easier to find for everyone than if they have to hunt
      through pages of posts.

      Dwim
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic