6429Re: [MEFAwards] Movie-verse versus Bookverse (Re: Question concerning Dwim's list)

  • rabidsamfan
    Dec 3 3:31 PM
      See, I'd call that a blend right off the bat, as Bard is drawn strictly from
      the books and Gimli blowing the horn is definitely from the film, and the
      story is doing its best to bind those two things into a single whole. You,
      I gather, feel that any hint of the films moves the story into the
      movieverse, and even want authors to mention if there are moviebits in
      summaries, almost like a warning for unpleasant topics or character deaths.

      Part of the problem, I guess, is that I don't ask that question first. And
      it is the first question on Dwim's form.

      To quote:

      [My story is:

      1. Bookverse: based on the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien and/or drafts
      made available by C. Tolkien
      2. Filmverse: based on a film adaptation of "The Lord of the Rings" or
      "The Hobbit"...]

      Now when I think "Bookverse" I don't include anything from Tolkien's letters
      or HoME, or even Unfinished Tales. If I were better acquainted with the
      Silmarillion, I'd definitely include that in my thinking, but mostly I think
      of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (and in their "most corrected" form,
      at that) as being the basic canon of the Bookverse.

      HoME, the Letters, etc., are in my noggin as "drafts and background

      The films (and for that matter, the audio performances by people like the
      BBC), are "adaptations", some of which would clearly be Alternate Universes
      if they were fanfic.

      And of course there Alternate Universes of the usual variety as well, which
      for me are always stories that try to answer "what if some factor were
      changed" and extrapolate forward.

      Except for some of the Alternate Universe/Crossover type stories, where
      Frodo is living in modern New York and Sam is the building superintendent,
      most fanfic falls within a scope of Time and Place which is consistent with
      JRRT's published works.

      So what if we skip that question for now, and save it for later. Now we
      have two primary questions on the form (and again, they're not in the form
      I'd divide things.)... Hmm. I can see that what I really need to do is
      explain how I would do it if I were in charge of the universe.

      Okay. Might take me a day or so, depending on the insomnia. I'll go hunt
      up Dwim's most current form of the form and see if I can make a coherent
      contribution. Not that I expect it to be used, mind you, but so you can see
      how I'm thinking.