6417Re: [MEFAwards] Movie-verse versus Bookverse (Re: Question concerning Dwim's list)

  • MarigoldCotton@aol.com
    Dec 1, 2005
      For what it is worth, just as an example, almost all of Budgielover's fics are a combination of bookverse and movieverse. She takes elements from each for her universe.

      Marigold

      >-- Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
      >>> I have to admit, the whole concept of a bookverse/movieverse hybrid
      >>> seems a bit foreign to me. If a story is bookverse, that means that
      >>> on all the points where the books differ from the movies, it
      >>> follows the books. If I write a story about Faramir's thoughts just
      >>> before he rides out to re-take Osgiliath, that story is movieverse
      >>> by default - even if I have Faramir reflecting on things that are
      >>> never mentioned in the movies, like Faramir's having the dream that
      >>> sent Boromir to Osgiliath. The movies are pretty limited in their
      >>> scope, especially when it comes to backstory.
      >
      >I've been wondering about this hybrid concept, and I *can* think of a few examples that might fall under such a category. There's one story out there in which the Lothlorien elves never showed up at Helm's Deep and Haldir never died. He has a fairly big role in the story, and on that count, it's a bookverse story. However, a lot of the lines and a lot of the flashbacks come straight out of the movies and don't have much to do with the books at all. The author did something of a pick-and-choose job, using elements from both the books and the movies until she got something that worked. But even so, I think with a bit of prodding it could be narrowed down into a bookverse or a movieverse category.
      >
      >The other examples would are all parodies that use movies and books against each other, and I can think of quite a few of those. But by and large, they're probably going in the humor section rather than in a time category or a movieverse category.
      >
      >Anyway, just wanted to point out that there are a few stories out there that try to blend movies and books. And there are a few that try to reconcile movies and books. My opinion is that all of them (at least, all of the stories I've read) can fit into bookverse or movieverse with a bit of wrangling. I don't see an overwhelming need for a hybrid option. But that's just my opinion.
      >
      >Thundera
      >
      >~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
      >--Okay, I'll make a deal with you: If we go out
      >   on patrol and Gotham is quiet with no sign of
      >   the Joker, we come back here, have Christmas
      >   dinner, and watch “It’s a Wonderful Life.”
      >--You know, I’ve never seen that. I could never
      >   get past the title.
      >
      >Robin and Batman - Batman: The Animated Series

      Marigold's Red Book
      http://marigold.tolkienshire.com

      Marigold's Recommendations Page
      http://www.geocities.com/marigoldsrecommendations/

      Marigold's Live Journal
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/marigoldg/

      Tales of The Red Book
      http://www.livejournal.com/users/talesofredbook/

      There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.

      >Sam, in Mordor, RoTK
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic