6411Movie-verse versus Bookverse (Re: Question concerning Dwim's list)

  • elanor of aquitania
    Dec 1, 2005
      rabidsamfan wrote Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:04:52 -0500:
      > drawn equally on both sources the option of putting their
      > stories in with
      > the crossovers? Either that or by caveat declare that if a
      > story uses any
      > *plot* element of the films (rather than any *visual*
      > element), it should be
      > with the movieverse stories.

      Hi Rabidsamfan,

      IMO both solutions are too strong.

      1) I thought cross-overs were for the mixing of
      other movies like "Pirates of the Caribbean" with Tolkien's universe.
      IMO the movie by PJ is a story working with
      elements of Tolkien's Universe, which becomes
      towards the third part more and more AU.

      2) IMO the solution that 'any *plot* element' suffices to shove
      the story into movie-verse is also too strong a measure.

      My question is a result of one of my own stories
      where I use PJ's pyre scene to shorten the story line
      which else is completely book-verse.

      I would go with caveats in the summary
      and I would like to change Dwim's text to
      something like

      ###########
      My story is:

      1. Bookverse: *predominantly* based on the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien and/or
      drafts made available by C. Tolkien

      2. Filmverse: *predominantly* based on a film adaptation of "The Lord of the
      Rings" or "The Hobbit"
      ###########

      Best wishes Elanor

> [...]
      > *plot* element of the films (rather than any *visual*
      > element), it should be
      > with the movieverse stories.
      >
      > On 11/29/05, Marta Layton <melayton@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 29 Nov 2005, at 11:05, dwimmer_laik wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com, "elanor of aquitania"
      > <elanor@c...>

      > > > drafts
      > > > Rings" or

      > only appearing
      > > > in the

      > > > I'd say make a decision--which scenes are more
      > important? Is the aim
      > > > to highlight and enrich the movie scenes, or are the movie scenes
      > > > supporting a mostly bookverse story? We can change the
      > wording to say
      > > > "My story is *primarily* based on..."
      > > >
      > > > I'm reluctant to add "Both" as a category because I've
      > not seen many
      > > > book/movie blends that specifically aimed to be blends;
      > most seemed to
      > > > be playing to the movies and using bookverse scenes
      > where the movie
      > > > lacked them. I've read only a few stories that took a
      > moment or two
      > > > from the movie and integrated them into a bookverse
      > story, but those
      > > > were such minor moments for the most part that it'd be
      > silly to say
      > > > the story was movieverse. It made more sense to give a
      > heads up in the
      > > > author's notes and then leave it at that.
      > > >

      > > I don't have any strong feelings about this, so whatever
      > people want.
      > > My main concern is that people who write movieverse often
      > don't think
      > > to warm about it in their summaries. While I think they
      > should do this,
      > > I don't want to deal with people thinking they got less or shorter
      > > reviews because their story was movieverse and they didn't
      > warn for it.
      > > (And this is quite possibly old emotional baggage from when I was a
      > > HASA admin.)
      > >
      > > Just to cover our basis, how about a warning like:
      > >
      > > My story is...
      > >
      > > ___ 1. Bookverse: based on the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien
      > and/or drafts
      > > made available by C. Tolkien
      > > ___ 2. Filmverse: based on a film adaptation of "The Lord
      > of the Rings"
      > > or "The Hobbit"
      > >
      > > (Remember, if your story is primarily bookverse but
      > contains elements
      > > unique to the films, you may want to mention this in your summary or
      > > authors' notes so you don't catch your readers by surprise.)
      > >
      > > Marta
      > >

      > > *****
      > > "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our
      > greatest fear is
      > > that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not
      > our darkness
      > > that most frightens us. [...] As we let our own light shine, we
      > > unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

      hoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic