3228RE: [MEFAwards] Re: Adjust character counts/point values?

    Jan 1, 2005
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Naresha [mailto:north_shore_fruitcake@...]
      Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 6:20 AM
      To: MEFAwards@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MEFAwards] Re: Adjust character counts/point values?

      >Hmmm... I do think that this conversion chart is definately fairer -
      although I'm sure the ASC had good reasons for doing it that way. But Marta
      does raise a good point - why not just do a literal thing? One character
      equals one point. Might help in breaking some of those ties!

      I can't really put my finger on it yet, but I don't think the literal thing
      is a good thing. And it would actually make ties worse. How would you
      break them? There's nothing left beyond seeing which had the most votes.
      And how many ties were able to break at that point this year? One, I think.
      All the others came down to characters. Yes we didn't have any that matched
      character-for-character this year, but it *could* happen.

      I think the points also makes it more equitable. Like I said, I can't put
      my finger on why, but I'm sensing trouble if we go for actual characters.
      I'll switch it to the this point scale this year and we'll see how it goes.

      And since it's January, except for open polls, all that suggestions and
      changes are closed now.

      Now we look at categories. I'll make a separate post in a bit.

      --Ainaechoiriel
      MEFA Admin and Founder

      http://gabrielle.sytes.net/mefa The Middle-Earth Fanfiction Awards
      Blog: http://www.ainaechoiriel.blogspot.com