Re: MEC 4-6-0s and 0-6-0s

  • red_gate_rover
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007
      --- In MEC_Modeler@yahoogroups.com, "Michael J Sherbak II"
      <msherbak11@...> wrote:

      > E B Robertson's book; Maine Central Steam Locomotives

      This book turns up on Ebay and at Addall.com often for low prices. I
      just pulled mine out. I'd forgotten I had it. The Life-Like 0-6-0 is
      very close to many locos in the K class. I guess I shold have grabbed
      one when they were available at closeout prices.

      As far as I can tell nobody has ever done a close 4-6-0 except in
      brass, though I've not yet found a photo of the Baldwin 4-6-0s that
      the MEC had to compare it with the Bachmann ten wheelers. I really
      would like a tall, large drivered Alco. -Jim
    • Michael J Sherbak II
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2007

        Yes – one of those high steppin’ 73” drivered N class locos (284 thru 289) would look sweet !

        Michael J. Sherbak II

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007

          Jim wrote:  I've not yet found a photo of the Baldwin 4-6-0s that
          the MEC had to compare it with the Bachmann ten wheelers

          There’s a bunch of MEC postcards and photos on ebay right now (No connection with me)

          Lots of older steam including some from the 10 wheeler classes we have been discussing

          Search for seller ‘cotntail’

          Mike

        • red_gate_rover
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
            <msherbak11@...> wrote:

            > Lots of older steam including some from the 10 wheeler classes we
            have been
            > discussing
            >
            > Search for seller 'cotntail'

            Yes, I've been watching them and even bid on a few. I have not yet
            spotted one of the Baldwin ten-wheelers, plenty of Alco family locos.

            Broadway Ltd is coming out with a new light Mikado as is Bachmann.
            Hoepfully one of the two fill my needs for a MEC Mike. --Jim
          • red_gate_rover
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 12, 2007
              --- In MEC_Modeler@yahoogroups.com, "red_gate_rover"
              <red_gate_rover@...> wrote:

              > Broadway Ltd is coming out with a new light Mikado as is Bachmann.
              > Hoepfully one of the two fill my needs for a MEC Mike. --Jim

              Correction. I guess I'm behind the curve again. The BLI Mike has been
              out for a while and is out of stock most places. The Bachmann loco is
              out but it is a modern Chinese built steamer. -Jim

            • red_gate_rover
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 16, 2007
                Those of you that have the earlier Proto USRA 0-6-0 in the MEC scheme
                how does it compare in deatail to the current releases? I'm thinking
                that it might make sense to get the new DCC/Sound version and letter
                it for the MEC rather than paying the current price for the older DC
                version. There are several versions. Which one do you think is closer
                to the MEC version released earlier? Thank you. -Jim
                http://walthers.com/exec/search?manu=&item=&split=30&category=&scale=&instock=Q&keywords=usra%200-6-0&start=60
              • Dave Falkenburg
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 16, 2007
                  On Monday, April 16, 2007, at 03:14PM, "red_gate_rover" <red_gate_rover@...> wrote:
                  >Those of you that have the earlier Proto USRA 0-6-0 in the MEC scheme
                  >how does it compare in deatail to the current releases? I'm thinking
                  >that it might make sense to get the new DCC/Sound version and letter
                  >it for the MEC rather than paying the current price for the older DC
                  >version. There are several versions. Which one do you think is closer
                  >to the MEC version released earlier? Thank you. -Jim
                  >http://walthers.com/exec/search?manu=&item=&split=30&category=&scale=&instock=Q&keywords=usra%200-6-0&start=60

                  To my eyes, the GM&O one (920-31771) looks to be the closest match (as far as the tender goes).

                  -Dave