Re: [MCCEE] Re: Re need answers for some MCQ questions

  • AS
    Message 1 of 36 , Apr 28, 2007
      My answers in BOLD. Do you guys agree?

      A 10-year-old boy has never had corrective surgery for congenital dislocation of the hips.  Which one of the following would best decribe his gait?

           1)    shuffling
           2)    circumducting
           3)    waddling
           4)    staggering
           5)    steppage or equine

      Question: 2

      You are counselling a 64-year-old woman who is concerned about her husband's increasing disinterest in sexual activity.  Which one of the following statements about sexual function is correct?

           1)    Age impairs sexual capacity equally in men and women.
           2)    Women remain clitorically responsive throughout their lifespan.
           3)    Decreased sexual activity occurs as men age even though androgen levels remain stable.
           4)    Most antihypertensive drugs will increase erectile function by promoting vasodilation.
           5)    Thresholds for male sexual arousal are unchanged with age.

      A 40-year-old man presents to the emergency room with rapid speech, grandiose delusions, insomnia, and hypersexual behaviour of several weeks duration.  The history reveals similar past episodes interspersed with periods of psychomotor retardation, hypersomnia, weight gain, and poor job performance.  Which one of the following drugs is most likely to be of long-term benefit for this patient?

           1)    thioridazine
           2)    desipramine
           3)    carbamazepine
           4)    lithium
           5)    chlordiazepoxide
      You diagnose a 40-year-old woman with depression and prescribe an antidepressant. Which one of the following factors would increase the likelihood of her compliance with treatment?

           1)    a positive family history
           2)    the patient's denial of her illness
           3)    marked secondary gain
           4)    a high level of subjective distress
           5)    short waiting-room time

      The development of a bipolar mood disorder is frequently associated with a history of

           1)    loss of a parent before age 11.
           2)    repetitive experiences of "learned helplessness
           3)    dysthymic or mood disorder.
           4)    night terrors.
      An 86-year-old generally debilitated man in an extended care facility has a chronic Escherichia coli bacteriuria.  About once every 6 months, he develops mild fever, frequency of micturition and some urinary incontinence.  On several of these exacerbations, his urine cultures grow Escherichia coli with colony counts greater than 100,000/mL.  Which one of the following would be the most appropriate management?

           1)    Determine the cause of the infection by cystoscopy and intravenous pyelogram.
           2)    Place him on continuous low-dose antibiotic therapy.
           3)    Catheterize and irrigate the bladder daily.
           4)    Treat only the acute episodes of infection with appropriate antibiotic.
           5)    Do not give specific treatment but maintain a high fluid intake.
      A heavy-set 62-year-old man with normocytic, normochromic anemia presents with an acute backache after sitting down on the toilet.  He is unable to pass his urine and unable to stand up because of weakness in his legs.  Which one of the following is the most appropriate next investigation?

           1)    serum calcium level
           2)    renal function assessment
           3)    urine test for Bence Jones protein
           4)    protein electrophoresis
           5)    x-ray of the spine

      A 28-year-old man presents to the emergency room with a 2-hour history of chest tightness, coughing, and wheezing.  He has had many such attacks in the past, generally treatable by self-medication at home.  Physical examination reveals dyspnea, orthopnea, and cyanosis.  Wheezing is noted on inspiration and expiration and some coarse crackles are audible.  Pulse is 130/min and regular.  An emergency arterial PO2 is 65 mmHg.  Pulmonary function studies are most likely to show which one of the following?

           1)    decreased FEV1
           2)    increased vital capacity
           3)    decreased residual volume
           4)    decreased airway resistance
           5)    increased arterial PO2

      A febrile 5-year-old child is observed to have small vesicles and ulcers over the anterior tonsillar pillars, soft palate and uvula.  The remainder of the oropharynx appears normal. These findings are most characteristic of

           1)    herpetic stomatitis.
           2)    recurrent aphthous stomatitis.
           3)    infectious mononucleosis.
           4)    herpangina.
           5)    streptococcal pharyngitis.
      Between 7 and 8 years of age, your patient has grown 4.5 cm. His height, however, remains below and parallel to the 5th percentile.  Clinical examination is entirely normal.  His mother is anxious for further investigations to be undertaken.  Which one of the following would you undertake?

           1)    growth hormone secretion using insulin-induced hypoglycemia
           2)    computed tomography scan of the head
           3)    thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH)
           4)    24-hour urine collection for cortisol
           5)    none of those listed
      A 25-year-old Jehovah's Witness man is scheduled for emergency surgery following a motor vehicle accident in which he sustained pelvic fractures. The patient is competent and lucid before the surgery and refuses the administration of blood products. Which course of action is most appropriate in the event of significant intra-operative blood loss?

          1)    administration of packed red cells in the recovery

          2)    use of a cell saver

          3)    administration of hydroxyethyl starch

          4)    administration of packed cells after obtaining consent

          5)    intra-operative autologous blood donation
      A 42-year-old woman has recently experienced fatigue, sleepiness, dry skin, constipation, and a 4.5 kg weight gain.  Her thyroid is firm and twice the normal size.  Which one of the following laboratory tests is most likely to confirm the suspected diagnosis of hypothyroidism?

          1)    serum thyroxine (T4)
          2)    serum triiodothyronine (T3)
          3)    T3 resin uptake
          4)    serum thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) measurement
          5)    antithyroid antibodies

      Concerning a physician's obligation to provide due care to a patient, which one of the following is correct?
          1)    Beneficence is a moral commitment but not a legal obligation to the well-being of the patient
          2)    Respecting autonomy is both a moral commitment and a legal obligation to the patient
          3)    A physician can be found guilty of negligence even if he/she has acted in accordance with a practice acceptable to a responsible body of peers
          4)    Unanimity of practice is expected of physicians
          5)    Where patient outcomes are poor, physicians may have their practices scrutinized by the courts but not by peer organizations
      A 27-year-old woman seeks evaluation for her "depression" in an out-patient clinic.  She reports episodic feelings of sadness since adolescence.  Occasionally she feels good, but these periods seldom last more than 2 weeks.  She is able to work but thinks she is not doing as well as she should.  In describing her problems she seems to focus more on repeated disappointments in her life and her low opinion of herself than on discrete depressive symptoms.  In your differential diagnosis at this point,which one of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

          1)    major depression with melancholia

          2)    adjustment disorder with depressed mood

          3)    cyclothymia

          4)    childhood depression

          5)    dysthymia
      Which one of the following is the most common cause of asymptomatic vaginal ulceration or erosion?
          1)    tampons
          2)    toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)
          3)    herpes genitalis
          4)    vaginal carcinoma
          5)    bacterial vaginosis
      A previously well 65-year-old woman presents to the emergency room with a one-month history of shortness of breath. Physical examination reveals: heart rate 110/min; blood pressure 105/60 mmHg; pulsus paradoxous of 20 mmHg; elevated neck veins which accentuates on inspiration; lungs are clear and no cardiac murmur. Which one of the following is the most likely diagnosis?

           1)    idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy
           2)    rheumatic valvular disease
           3)    asthma exacerbation
           4)    cardiac tamponade
           5)    primary pulmonary hypertension

      Hussam <hussamabou@hotmail. com> wrote:
      I bold faced and highlighted the answers
      HUSSAM
      --- In MCCEE@yahoogroups. com, ELHAM KHAYAT <drkhayatmd@. ..> wrote:

> [...]
      >

      > 1) sputum
      > 2) urine
      >
      > 3) stool
      >
      > 4) cervicovaginal secretions; the rash is due to gonococcal toximia, and the diarrhea is due to pus in the pelvic region. But still it's not 100% sure, 'cause there should be some pelvic symptoms like pain and discharge
      >
      > 5) cerebrospinal fluid; this can be typical of meningitis, and the rash is due to meningococcal toxemia, but still the core symptome of meningitis is headache, and since there is no headache mentioned it is unlikely to be meningitis, unless the patient is really obtunded with low LOC. So I think this question is not complete
      >
      > You are performing pulmonary function tests on a 80-year-old male with persistent cough . Which one of the following would occur normally with age?
      >

      > 1) fall in vital capacity; not sure
      >
      > 2) fall in FEV1/FVC
      >
      > 3) fall in arterial p02
      >
      > 4) increase in arterial pCO2
      >
      > 5) decrease in arterial pH
      >
      > A 32-year-old married woman describes experiencing panic attacks every time she goes to the local store. These have been getting more frequent and she is finding it increasingly difficult to leave her home. Which one of the following should form part of her treatment?
      >

      > 1) psychodynamic therapy
      >
      > 2) interpersonal psychotherapy
      >
      > 3) family therapy
      > 4) supportive psychotherapy
      >
      > 5) cognitive behavioral therapy
      >
      > A 38-year-old woman tells her physician that for several months she has been experiencing palpitations, dizziness, shortness of breath, a feeling of impending doom and a fear of dying. Which of the following would be the most appropriate initial step in managing this patient?
      >

      > 1) offer psychotherapy
      >
      > 2) prescribe benzodiazepines
      >
      > 3) perform a physical examination
      >
      > 4) refer the patient to a psychiatrist
      >
      > 5) teach relaxation techniques
      >
      > A patient reports that, on his way to your office he saw a man feeding two squirrels in the park. He says that this means that his future will be decided within 2 weeks. Which one of the following terms best describes this mode of thinking? ??????
      >
      > 1) illusion
      >
      > 2) hallucination
      >
      > 3) delusion
      >
      > 4) loose association
      >
      > 5) neologism
      > A 3-year-old boy presents to the emergency room with a history of recurrent cough. A review of his previous records reveals recurrent episodes of right lower lobe pneumonia. An x-ray chest in the current admission also confirms a right lower lobe pneumonia. He has no other major health issues. What is the most likely diagnosis?

      Dear Dr.Hussam
      thank you for your answer.I need some more questions to answer

      regards
      Jasmin

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • IMG
      Message 36 of 36 , Jan 24, 2009
        Hello,

        I am looking for sb. for live study for clinical exams in Montreal, Canada. If anybody is interested and also serious, please e-mail me back.

        GL
        _,_._,___