Amiga 3000

  • stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
      HI Guys/Girls,

      been a reader of the list for some time now (nice and friendly/good info
      etc..).. I would join MAUG, but getting to meetings on a weeknight from 120k
      away isn't a good thing... plus the price of fuel now makes it worse...

      I'm looking for a A3000 mother board in good working condition (with no
      battery leakage or the battery having been removed). OR failing that a whole
      Amiga 4000 system. (Don't need screen/mouse).

      Please email me direct with what you have/photo's etc, and a price you want
      and we might be able to do a deal.

      --
      Stephen -vk3heg
    • MAUG@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2008
        Reminder from: MAUG Yahoo! Group

        Title: MAUG meeting

        Date: Thursday August 7, 2008
        Time: 8:00 pm - 12:00 am
        Repeats: This event repeats every month on the first Thursday.
        Notes: MAUG meeting this Thursday Senior Citizens Centre 8pm Kellaway Ave Moonee Ponds! Be there or be square.

        :-)

      • stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 9, 2008
          Was happly playing around with my A3000, compiling a new Linux kernel for the
          beast! (It's towerd) After getting a brand new X-Surf network card a few
          weeks ago... Leave her alone, and turned off for a few days.

          Come back to the system, and she's dead jim! (Star Trek pun intended).

          Strip the hole system down to just the motherboard and riser card (So out
          comes the X-Surf, Cybervision 64, A2091 [Has my cdrom on it], Cyberstorm MK1
          68060, 128mb ram).. Run some test's, get the nice kickstart boot
          screen with insert floppy.. Coool, things might workout to just be a dead
          Accelerator card..

          Couple of days latter (when I had the time to spare), run more test's.. Boot
          up with just a workbench disk, and nothing else hooked to the beast... A few
          minutes latter and the &^%^%$& thing has locked up frozen (cant
          do squat).

          Wish there was someone closer with another A3000 or A4000 to test things in!

          Anyone in MAUG good at repair work? (I'll gladly bring the gear to your place
          etc, and even through in a Membership to the group for the next year)

          I might get a working system one day... Have been sending email's back and
          forward to Jean in france... So half my gear might have to take a world trip
          just to get board level work done on it...

          Then if i'm lucky it's fixable...

          --
          Stephen -vk3heg
        • David
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 10, 2008
            Steve,

            Try pushing down on all the motherboard chips firmly with your
            fingers. Often a bad contact can cause problems.

            Check the backup battery on the motherboard. These are very prone to
            leaking corrosive chemicals all over the motherboard, and often do so
            after a period of inactivity. These chemicals can seriously damage
            your motherboard, so it must be cleaned immediately and the battery
            replaced if you see pools of liquid near the battery or fuzzy growths
            coming out of the battery.

            Where are you located? I am assuming you don't live in Melbourne?

            I actually live in Taradale, in Central Victoria, so I may be closer
            to you than Melbourne. I'm pretty good at fixing dead Amigas. ;-)
          • stephen
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2008
              Hello David,

              On Sunday 10 August 2008 23:06:25 David wrote:

              > Try pushing down on all the motherboard chips firmly with your
              > fingers. Often a bad contact can cause problems.

              Done all of that to the chips that are in sockets on the hole board!

              > Check the backup battery on the motherboard. These are very prone to
              > leaking corrosive chemicals all over the motherboard, and often do so
              > after a period of inactivity. These chemicals can seriously damage
              > your motherboard, so it must be cleaned immediately and the battery
              > replaced if you see pools of liquid near the battery or fuzzy growths
              > coming out of the battery.

              I replaced the battery withing a few days of getting the motherboard, with a
              coin battery.

              > Where are you located? I am assuming you don't live in Melbourne?
              >
              > I actually live in Taradale, in Central Victoria, so I may be closer
              > to you than Melbourne. I'm pretty good at fixing dead Amigas. ;-)

              Good old sunny Ballarat, and I don't know of anyone still playing around with
              Amiga's in town.

              I might take you up on your offer in a couple of weeks!

              --
              Stephen -vk3heg
            • stephen
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 30, 2008
                Hi Guys/Girls,

                I took a trip to see Doctor Dave today...

                The end result is my cyberstorm Mk1 '060 Accelerator board has died (cpu is
                alive).

                So I'm in need of a replacement Accelerator.

                Must be able to take 128Mb of ram., so either a '040 or '060 will do.

                Or if you have a '060 Accelerator with faulty cpu. I'll take that and use
                mine...

                --
                Stephen Walsh - vk3heg