Re: MAUG Amiga 4000T Problems

  • Justin Alexander
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 23, 2005
      Hi Merv,

      I know it is a bad bad move, and I have voiced my opinion to the
      boss. His lack of patience has meant we have missed out on some truly
      great Amiga's that we have been offered.When you factor in shipping
      costs from the States we have spent just under $2000, for a little
      more we could have got an Aussie based 4000 with a few extra options.

      Thanks for the heads up too. We will be adding a network card which
      currently is running in our 4000T, an second hard drive and maxing
      the RAM to 16MB. I think that should all go in without too much trouble.

      I am quite envious of the setup that you have for yourself. We had
      the chance at a similar outfit, minus the toaster and monitor, from
      Tassie for just over $2000.
      Things like that just make me want to cry.

      Justin

    • Damien Stewart
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2005
        Hello Justin

        On 24/11/2005, you wrote:

        > Hi Merv,

        > I know it is a bad bad move, and I have voiced my opinion to the
        > boss. His lack of patience has meant we have missed out on some truly
        > great Amiga's that we have been offered.When you factor in shipping
        > costs from the States we have spent just under $2000, for a little
        > more we could have got an Aussie based 4000 with a few extra options.

        > Thanks for the heads up too. We will be adding a network card which
        > currently is running in our 4000T, an second hard drive and maxing
        > the RAM to 16MB. I think that should all go in without too much
        > trouble.

        Did you say maxing? 16MB? Man, that isn't maxing, that is a minimum. Even
        my A1200 got double that when I upgraded it a few years back. Even though
        128MB simms are rare, you should be able to find the more common 64MB
        ones. How many memory slots does an A4000 have?

        > I am quite envious of the setup that you have for yourself. We had
        > the chance at a similar outfit, minus the toaster and monitor, from
        > Tassie for just over $2000.
        > Things like that just make me want to cry.

        Something else makes me want to cry, the fact that the Amiga hardware was
        left in limbo for so long, that eventually when some tries to reinvent an
        Amiga based machine, it can't even do what a classic Amiga can. Because it
        was left too long. Look at this AmigaOne I am using, no video [Amiga]
        slot, no Zorro slots, no Amiga chipset, no RGB out, no chance of it
        directly replacing a classic. A classic for sure, to remain that way it
        seems.

        What annoys me most is that when people mention this, such as having no AGA
        chipset, the programmers come along and say just to run UAE with your AGA
        games. Games!? Excuse me! I didn't say we need AGA to play games! We need
        it for the hardware, you can't emulate an RGB port with genlock bits on a
        PC can you? Nor can you emulate plugging in cards.

        --
        My regards,
        Damien Stewart

        Courtesy of the AmigaOne. And only OS4.