8822Free exhibits..... Seeking Student Art

  • Jennifer Marsh
    Mar 4, 2014
      Dear Teachers,

      We are seeking student art for the following FREE exhibit opportunities. After these exhibits end all artworks will travel to additional venues and be included in the final installation at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center. We want to continue growing as many new art opportunities as possible, with your participation, this is possible.

      Students of all ages and skill levels are welcome. Art clubs are also encouraged to participate.

      To reserve spots, email me your answers to the questions pertaining to the exhibit you want to participate in. We are also gathering lesson plans from individuals around our nation based on these exhibits, participants will receive a free copy.

      Looking forward to hearing from many of you.

      Sincerely,
      Jennifer

      JUNE 2014

      Thomas Edison National Historical Park, West Orange, NJ

      75 spots left

      Exhibit: June 7 – August 31

      Theme: Innovation – Edison and Beyond

      Art deadline: May 7 (postmarked)

      Cost: Free

      Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site, Hyde Park, NY

      81 spots left

      Exhibit: June 1 – August 1

      Title: Keeping the Dream Alive

      Theme: Eleanor Roosevelt as a humanitarian and civil rights advocate.

      Art deadline: May 1 (postmarked)

      Cost: Free

      OCTOBER 2014

      Hiller Aviation Museum, San Carlos, CA

      98 spots left

      October 14 – November 25

      Title/theme: Adventure by Air: Discovery, Exploration and Innovation through Flight

      Art deadline: September 1 (postmarked)

      Cost: Free

      Lowell National Historical Park, Lowell, MA

      67 spots left

      Exhibit: October 1 – November 30

      Title: Who Am I?

      Theme: Personal connection to immigration or Migration.

      Art deadline: September 1 (postmarked)

      Cost: Free

      About...A group of educators and artists formed the International Fiber Collaborative with a mission to create interesting learning experiences through art. Our current initiative, The Dream Rocket Project is collecting 8,000 artworks that, in 2015, will be stitched together to wrap a 363-foot Saturn V Moon Rocket replica at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL for a temporary public art exhibition. “By exposing kids to the importance of collaboration through multi-disciplinary approaches we hope to inspire them to feel the freedom to DREAM big, THINK big and make a difference.” By wrapping the Saturn V with our dreams, the Saturn V can serve as an inspiring visual symbol of achievement through collaboration and perseverance. A monumental achievement that was marked by collaboration, the Saturn V is still considered the only rocket to have carried humans out of the Earth’s orbit: it is the ideal example of realizing an “impossible” dream. Art submissions have been received by individuals residing in 17 countries, 46 states and 363 communities. Prior to the final installation, all submissions are being displayed venues across the nation, we have completed 134 exhibits. The DRP becomes the caretaker for all art submissions so we can continue sending them to other venues in the following years as opportunities become available. Website: www.thedreamrocket.com. View art submissions on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedreamrocket/

      Thomas Edison National Historical Park
      West Orange, NJ
      Exhibit date: June 7 - August 31, 2014
      Due date: May 7 (postmarked)
      Theme: Innovation - Edison and Beyond

      To reserve your spots in this exhibit respond to this email with your answers to the below questions (just cut and paste).
      Yes, our school/group/me would like to participate in the Thomas Edison National Historical Park Exhibition.
      School/Group/Your Name:
      Teachers Name:
      Address:
      City:
      Zip:
      State:
      Country:
      Phone:
      Email:
      • How many artworks are you planning on submitting?
      • How many students may be involved?
      • How many classes might be involved?
      • What grade levels might participate?
      Details
      • RESERVE YOUR SPOTS: Fill out the above questions and email me back your answers. I will email you a confirmation along with submissions forms and other details.
      • THEME:"Innovation - Edison and Beyond". This theme can be interpenetrated in anyway you would like giving you a lot of flexibility. The art can be as literal or abstracted as participants would like but try to do as much research/learning about this theme as time allows.
      • SIZE: Each artwork needs to be as close to 2-feet by 2-feet in size as you can get them.
      • INDIVIDUAL VS GROUP: On average, 6 people collaborate on each submission, but we also have plenty of submissions made by 1 person and others made by 16 people. This is totally up to you. They can each make their own, or all collaborate on one, or work in pairs.
      • MATERIALS & TECHNIQUES: We only take textile based submissions. If you have to use paper, either you or I can have them laminated when finished. I have a materials cheat sheet that I can email you.
      • SUBMISSION FORMS: I will email you submission forms once you place your reservation.
      • We are collecting lesson plans from teachers/group leaders who have approached this theme and other themes, we will email all participates a small booklet at the conclusion of this exhibit, as well as a collection of 100 lesson plans in 2015 for free.
      • If you would like to submit and/or receive these booklets please let us know. The lesson plan due date for this exhibit is May 7. I have attached a lesson plan template for you to use.
      _______________________________
      Lowell National Historical Park
      Lowell, MA
      Exhibit date: October 1 - November 30, 2014
      Due date: September 1 (postmarked)
      Title: Who Am I?
      Theme: Personal connection to immigration or Migration.

      To reserve your spots in this exhibit respond to this email with your answers to the below questions (just cut and paste).
      Yes, our school/group/me would like to participate in the Lowell National Historical Park Exhibition.
      School/Group/Your Name:
      Teachers Name:
      Address:
      City:
      Zip:
      State:
      Country:
      Phone:
      Email:
      • How many artworks are you planning on submitting?
      • How many students may be involved?
      • How many classes might be involved?
      • What grade levels might participate?
      Details
      • RESERVE YOUR SPOTS: Fill out the above questions and email me back your answers. I will email you a confirmation along with submissions forms and other details.
      • TITLE: Who Am I? Theme: Personal connection to immigration or Migration. This theme can be interpenetrated in anyway you would like giving you a lot of flexibility. The art can be as literal or abstracted as participants would like but try to do as much research/learning about this theme as time allows.
[...]
      • If you would like to submit and/or receive these booklets please let us know. The lesson plan due date for this exhibit is September 1. I have attached a lesson plan template for you to use.
      _____________________________________
      Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site
      Hyde Park, NY
      Exhibit date: June 1 - August 1
      Due date: May 1 (postmarked)
      Title: Keeping the Dream Alive
      Theme: Eleanor Roosevelt as a humanitarian and civil rights advocate.

      To reserve your spots in this exhibit respond to this email with your answers to the below questions (just cut and paste).
      Yes, our school/group/me would like to participate in the Eleanor Roosevelt National Historical Park Exhibition.
      School/Group/Your Name:
      Teachers Name:
      Address:
      City:
      Zip:
      State:
      Country:
      Phone:
      Email:
      • How many artworks are you planning on submitting?
      • How many students may be involved?
      • How many classes might be involved?
      • What grade levels might participate?
      Details
      • RESERVE YOUR SPOTS: Fill out the above questions and email me back your answers. I will email you a confirmation along with submissions forms and other details.
      • TITLE: Keeping the Dream Alive, Theme: Eleanor Roosevelt as a humanitarian and civil rights advocate. This theme can be interpenetrated in anyway you would like giving you a lot of flexibility. The art can be as literal or abstracted as participants would like but try to do as much research/learning about this theme as time allows.
[...]
      • If you would like to submit and/or receive these booklets please let us know. The lesson plan due date for this exhibit is May 1. I have attached a lesson plan template for you to use.
      Hiller Aviation Museum
      San Carlos, CA
      Exhibit date: October 14 - November 25
      Due date: September 1 (postmarked)
      Title: Adventure by Air
      Theme: Discovery, Exploration and Innovation through Flight

      To reserve your spots in this exhibit respond to this email with your answers to the below questions (just cut and paste).
      Yes, our school/group/me would like to participate in the Hiller Aviation Museum Exhibition.
      School/Group/Your Name:
      Teachers Name:
      Address:
      City:
      Zip:
      State:
      Country:
      Phone:
      Email:
      • How many artworks are you planning on submitting?
      • How many students may be involved?
      • How many classes might be involved?
      • What grade levels might participate?
      Details
      • RESERVE YOUR SPOTS: Fill out the above questions and email me back your answers. I will email you a confirmation along with submissions forms and other details.
      • TITLE: Adventure by Air: Discovery, Exploration and Innovation through Flight. This theme can be interpenetrated in anyway you would like giving you a lot of flexibility. The art can be as literal or abstracted as participants would like but try to do as much research/learning about this theme as time allows.
[...]

      Jennifer Marsh
      Donald B. and Twila Catron, Art at Washburn University
      614-561-9057, www.thedreamrocket.com