Re: [M-1911] Re: Modestly Priced 1911's

  • Phil White
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
      I just did a review on the American Classic 1911 Commander in the stainless
      type finish which is really brushed chrome.
      After looking it over inside and out and shooting it a lot over the last few
      weeks since the company sent it to me for review I can say with no
      hesitation it's the best buy in an under $500 1911! The fit and finish are
      as good as any Kimber, accuracy is great with 1 inch groups at 10 yards.
      During all my test with all kinds of ammo I had no failures of any kind in
      400 rounds fired. That was ball, hollowpoints a little of everything.
      http://www.americanclassic1911.com/

      Phil

      --
      "I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might! No weapon formed
      against me shall prosper. I am an overcomer through Christ who strengthens

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
        Hey, I noticed that Cimarron Firearms is now selling M1911's. Anyone know about them? Their revolvers are excellent and interchange with Colts, wondering if their 1911s do too???
        Sent on the Sprint� Now Network from my BlackBerry�

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
          Hello Mark, right on. Everyone I knew including me thought that Norinco
          produced a better gun than Colt.<G> best regards. Jack F
          ------------------------------
          Is it right that only the Police are
          allowed self defense with a handgun?
          <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

          Mark>
          Mark> Hey
          Mark> Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good gun!
          Mark> I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home
          Mark> on an empty chamber, so I've never done it.
          Mark> Cheers
          Mark> Mark from New Zealand.

          Mark> --- In M-1911@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <giveadurn@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've decided it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to build a new one just the way I want it, whatever that may turn out to be. In light of that this weekend I looked at three possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para GI and the Remington 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic offerings from Springfield and Rock Island the store I was in just didn't either of those on hand.
          >>
          >> Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.
          >>
          >> Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the slide go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just the opposite and yesterday at the store was the first time I've encounter what I believe is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.
          >>
          >> Regards,
          >> Curt
          >> KC8STE/AAR5VR US Army MARS

          Mar
        • gunsmith
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
            Hello Mark, the other great 1911s are the ones produced in Argentina on
            Colt machinery. Argentina wanted to use the 1911 for their army, so they
            contracted with Colt after WW1 to bring equipment and workers to Argentina.

            Later they bought the machinery from Colt and ran it with their own men
            who had been trained by Colt. Exact duplicates except for the engraving.
            best regards. Jack F
            ------------------------------
            Is it right that only the Police are
            allowed self defense with a handgun?
            <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

            Mark>
            Mark> Hey
            Mark> Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good gun!
            Mark> I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home
            Mark> on an empty chamber, so I've never done it.
            Mark> Cheers
            Mark> Mark from New Zealand.

            Mark> --- In M-1911@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <giveadurn@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've decided it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to build a new one just the way I want it, whatever that may turn out to be. In light of that this weekend I looked at three possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para GI and the Remington 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic offerings from Springfield and Rock Island the store I was in just didn't either of those on hand.
            >>
            >> Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.
            >>
            >> Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the slide go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just the opposite and yesterday at the store was the first time I've encounter what I believe is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.
            >>
            >> Regards,
            >> Curt
            >> KC8STE/AAR5VR US Army MARS

          • Phil White
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
              Argentine 1911's are very good:-)

              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                What are some Argentine brand 1911's you would recommend.

                "I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might! No weapon formed
                against me shall prosper. I am an overcomer through Christ who strengthens
                me."

              • Alexandre Garcia
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                  Gunsmith,

                  The very same thing happened here in Brasil, Imbel produce 1911 till today,
                  most exported to the U.S. market as Springfield armory, real nice, real
                  reliable guns. They are offerred in some calibers such as .38 super, .40SW,
                  .45 ACP, 9X19 and .380 ACP. All the bigger ones are basically the same gun,
                  he .380 acp has some differences since it is not a locked breech gun but a
                  direct blowback one. Works fine. I have one as my CCL gun.

                  Best,

                  AG

                  2011/3/4 gunsmith <gunsmith@...>

                  > Hello Mark, the other great 1911s are the ones produced in Argentina on
                  > Colt machinery. Argentina wanted to use the 1911 for their army, so they
                  > contracted with Colt after WW1 to bring equipment and workers to Argentina.
                  >
                  > Later they bought the machinery from Colt and ran it with their own men
                  > who had been trained by Colt. Exact duplicates except for the engraving.
                  >
                  > best regards. Jack F
                  > ------------------------------
                  > Is it right that only the Police are
                  > allowed self defense with a handgun?
                  > <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>
                  >
                  > Friday, March 4, 2011, 1:48:04 PM, you wrote:
                  >
                  > Mark>
                  > Mark> Hey
                  > Mark> Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good
                  > gun!
                  > Mark> I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home
                  > Mark> on an empty chamber, so I've never done it.
                  > Mark> Cheers
                  > Mark> Mark from New Zealand.
                  >
                  > Mark> --- In M-1911@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <giveadurn@...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've decided
                  > it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to build a new one just
                  > the way I want it, whatever that may turn out to be. In light of that this
                  > weekend I looked at three possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para GI
                  > and the Remington 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic offerings
                  > from Springfield and Rock Island the store I was in just didn't either of
                  > those on hand.
                  > >>
                  > >> Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.
                  > >>
                  > >> Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the slide
                  > go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just the opposite
                  > and yesterday at the store was the first time I've encounter what I believe
                  > is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.
                  > >>
                  > >> Regards,
                  > >> Curt
                  > >> KC8STE/AAR5VR US Army MARS

                • David White
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                    A Norinco would make a good base gun, they're made of good steel, but
                    I don't think they are imported any more. Thank your government 8^(
                    Dave

                    At 02:48 PM 3/4/2011, you wrote:
                    >Hey
                    >Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good gun!
                    >I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home
                    >on an empty chamber, so I've never done it.
                    >Cheers
                    >Mark from New Zealand.
                    >

                    >--- In M-1911@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <giveadurn@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've
                    > decided it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to
                    > build a new one just the way I want it, whatever that may turn out
                    > to be. In light of that this weekend I looked at three
                    > possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para GI and the Remington
                    > 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic offerings from
                    > Springfield and Rock Island the store I was in just didn't either
                    > of those on hand.
                    > >
                    > > Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.
                    > >
                    > > Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the
                    > slide go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just
                    > the opposite and yesterday at the store was the first time I've
                    > encounter what I believe is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Curt
                    > > KC8STE/AAR5VR US Army MARS

                    >Be sure you send the e-mail using the same address
                    >as the one you subscribed from.Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • gunsmith
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                      Hello David, For production line guns, I found the Dan Wesson 1911s produced
                      before CZ took over to be the finest production line pistols I have ever seen.
                      They were all competition level guns right out of the box.
                      best regards. Jack F
                      ------------------------------
                      Is it right that only the Police are
                      allowed self defense with a handgun?
                      <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

                      David>

                    • chfwarrant@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 4, 2011
                        Not all.

                        "I am strong in the Lord and in the power of His might! No weapon formed
                        against me shall prosper. I am an overcomer through Christ who strengthens
                        me."

                      • Curt Givens
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                          Phil, thanks for the comments, based on the parts list on the website I gather this is a "Series 70" style and not an "80". Also noticed than when you click on more info on a part the data comes down from the Bersa website. Are these being built by Bersa? Based on my experience and that of some friend with an assortment of Bersa's I'd be inclined to look at this as a serious contender. They say the slide is forged 4140 steel but they just say the frame is 4140 steel, forged or cast?

                          Thanks again,
                          Curt

                          de Curt KC8STE/AAR5VR

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                            I wish I'd picked up a couple Norinco 1911 when you could get them. Last one I saw at a show was well used, at least based on holster wear and the guy want $850 for it. Such is that famous 50/50 hindsight.

                            Curt

                            de Curt KC8STE/AAR5VR

                            Hello Mark, right on. Everyone I knew including me thought that Norinco

                            produced a better gun than Colt.<G> best regards. Jack F

                            ------------------------------

                            Is it right that only the Police are

                            allowed self defense with a handgun?

                            <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

                            Mark>

                            Mark> Hey

                            Mark> Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good gun!

                            Mark> I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home

                            Mark> on an empty chamber, so I've never done it.

                            Mark> Cheers

                            Mark> Mark from New Zealand.

                            Mark> --- In M-1911@yahoogroups.com, "Curt" <giveadurn@...> wrote:

                            >> Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've decided it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to build a new one just the way I want it, whatever that may turn out to be. In light of that this weekend I looked at three possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para GI and the Remington 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic offerings from Springfield and Rock Island the store I was in just didn't either of those on hand.

                            >> Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.

                            >> Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the slide go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just the opposite and yesterday at the store was the first time I've encounter what I believe is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.

                            >> Regards,

                            >> Curt

                            >> KC8STE/AAR5VR US Army MARS

                            Mar

                          • gunsmith
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                              Hello RobertNelson651, The way dry firing cold hurt a 1911 is if the
                              FP return spring has been altered so that it does not stack up before
                              the FP jams in the hole in the breech. Since the pin is usually
                              tapered it can jam by protruding too much when dry firing.

                              BTW, AFAIK, every urban legend about the 1911 is B.S.
                              best regards. Jack F
                              ------------------------------
                              Is it right that only the Police are
                              allowed self defense with a handgun?
                              <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

                              RobertNelson651>
                              RobertNelson651> Colt's M1991-A1 is still around $500 to $600. Accurate and reliable.
                              RobertNelson651> Interestingly, in their owners manual, they suggest dry fire practice. I called
                              RobertNelson651> the factory and asked about it and they said it 'would not hurt the gun' !!!
                              RobertNelson651> Robert
                              RobertNelson651> Northern California

                              RobertNelson651> He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the
                              RobertNelson651> Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him. (John 3:36 NAS,
                              RobertNelson651> see also 1 John 2:3-5).

                              RobertNelson651> In a message dated 3/4/2011 11:48:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                              RobertNelson651> mbodell@... writes:

                              RobertNelson651> Hey
                              RobertNelson651> Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good gun!
                              RobertNelson651> I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home on an
                              RobertNelson651> empty chamber, so I've never done it.
                              RobertNelson651> Cheers
                              RobertNelson651> Mark from New Zealand.

                              RobertNelson651> --- In _M-1911@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:M-1911@yahoogroups.com) , "Curt"
                              RobertNelson651> <giveadurn@...> wrote:

                              >> Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've decided
                              RobertNelson651> it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to build a new one
                              RobertNelson651> just the way I want it, whatever that may turn out to be. In light of that
                              RobertNelson651> this weekend I looked at three possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para
                              RobertNelson651> GI and the Remington 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic
                              RobertNelson651> offerings from Springfield and Rock Island the store I
                              RobertNelson651> was in just didn't either of
                              RobertNelson651> those on hand.

                              >> Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.
                              >>
                              >> Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the slide
                              RobertNelson651> go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just the opposite
                              RobertNelson651> and yesterday at the store was the first time I've encounter what I believe
                              RobertNelson651> is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.

                            • RobertNelson651@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 5, 2011
                                Thanks for the info Jack

                                Hello RobertNelson651, The way dry firing cold hurt a 1911 is if the
                                FP return spring has been altered so that it does not stack up before
                                the FP jams in the hole in the breech. Since the pin is usually
                                tapered it can jam by protruding too much when dry firing.

                                BTW, AFAIK, every urban legend about the 1911 is B.S.
                                best regards. Jack F
                                ------------------------------
                                Is it right that only the Police are
                                allowed self defense with a handgun?
                                <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

                                RobertNelson651>
                                RobertNelson651> Colt's M1991-A1 is still around $500 to $600. Accurate and reliable.
                                RobertNelson651> Interestingly, in their owners manual, they suggest dry fire practice. I called
                                RobertNelson651> the factory and asked about it and they said it 'would not hurt the gun' !!!
                                RobertNelson651> Robert
                                RobertNelson651> Northern California

                                RobertNelson651> He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the
                                RobertNelson651> Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him. (John 3:36 NAS,
                                RobertNelson651> see also 1 John 2:3-5).

                                RobertNelson651> In a message dated 3/4/2011 11:48:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                RobertNelson651> mbodell@... writes:

                                RobertNelson651> Hey
                                RobertNelson651> Don't s'pose you've considered a Norinco... Mine is a pretty good gun!
                                RobertNelson651> I was told it would wreck the trigger by letting the slide slam home on an
                                RobertNelson651> empty chamber, so I've never done it.
                                RobertNelson651> Cheers
                                RobertNelson651> Mark from New Zealand.

                                RobertNelson651> --- In_M-1911@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:M-1911@yahoogroups.com) , "Curt"
                                RobertNelson651> <giveadurn@...> wrote:

                                >> Based on the concept that one can never own too many 1911's I've decided
                                RobertNelson651> it's time to find a modestly priced (under $700) gun to build a new one
                                RobertNelson651> just the way I want it, whatever that may turn out to be. In light of that
                                RobertNelson651> this weekend I looked at three possibilities the Armscorp basic GI, the Para
                                RobertNelson651> GI and the Remington 1911-R1. I'll probably also include the basic
                                RobertNelson651> offerings from Springfield and Rock Island the store I
                                RobertNelson651> was in just didn't either of
                                RobertNelson651> those on hand.

                                >> Anyway looking for comments good or bad about this guns.
                                >>
                                >> Also has anyone ever heard that it's hard on the 1911 to let the slide
                                RobertNelson651> go into battery on and empty chamber? I've always heard just the opposite
                                RobertNelson651> and yesterday at the store was the first time I've encounter what I believe
                                RobertNelson651> is another of the urban legends surrounding the 1911.

                                >> Regards,
                                >> Curt
                                >> KC8STE/AAR5VR US Army MARS

                              • bayowulf11
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 16, 2011
                                  I have twelve 1911's and have owned a couple more that I have traded or sold. The only one yet to give me any trouble--quite an endorsement for the basic design--is the Remington R1. Back to the factory for "bent slide". Back to the factory shortly thereafter to have the extractor replaced. Seems fine now. To Remington's credit, their service on the R1 was excellent in terms of turnaround time, their payment for all shipping, etc. My suggestion would be to look at the MRI Desert Eagle made in Israel. It doesn't break the bank and I have had good experience with it. I have heard good things about the Para GI (from one person) but can't speak to it based on personal experience.

                                  Good luck!

                                  David.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 16, 2011
                                    Hello David, Interesting comment about bent slides. When checking a 1911
                                    for accurizing the first check I make is whether the slide and frame are
                                    straight. They can both be very slightly bent and unless it is obvious
                                    it will not be noticed. However, such a combination can never be a great
                                    gun. It will always be erratic in accuracy because of the angular path.

                                    I remove the ejector and try the stripped slide on backwards. If they are
                                    truly straight it will fit the same either way. The slightest curve will
                                    prevent the slide from fitting, and that gun/combination will not waste
                                    my time.. best regards. Jack F
                                    ------------------------------
                                    Is it right that only the Police are
                                    allowed self defense with a handgun?
                                    <http://www.gunsmith.fuselier.com/>

                                    Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 8:08:50 AM, you wrote:

                                    bayowulf11>

                                    bayowulf11> I have twelve 1911's and have owned a couple more that I have
                                    bayowulf11> traded or sold. The only one yet to give me any trouble--quite
                                    bayowulf11> an endorsement for the basic design--is the Remington R1. Back
                                    bayowulf11> to the factory for "bent slide". Back to the factory shortly
                                    bayowulf11> thereafter to have the extractor replaced. Seems fine now. To
                                    bayowulf11> Remington's credit, their service on the R1 was excellent in
                                    bayowulf11> terms of turnaround time, their payment for all shipping, etc.
                                    bayowulf11> My suggestion would be to look at the MRI Desert Eagle made in
                                    bayowulf11> Israel. It doesn't break the bank and I have had good
                                    bayowulf11> experience with it. I have heard good things about the Para GI
                                    bayowulf11> (from one person) but can't speak to it based on personal experience.

                                    bayowulf11> Good luck!

                                    bayowulf11> David.