Re: TEC: Modeling with modo and LW - XSi

  • pkuykendall2001
    Message 1 of 35 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In Luxology@yahoogroups.com, "LONERSAM.NET" <newsletter@l...> wrote:

      > Mental Ray is/was/has always been superb but the only reason I don't
      > switch to Softimage XSi is only because of the render node license
      > dilemma - and this is as well one of the reasons I have high hopes for
      > Luxology.

      Couldn't agree more. Pixar's Renderman for Maya is coming out in the
      sixth quarter of 2005;-) Priced at $995 for a single processor. So, at
      that rate my 120,000 frame movie is expected to be in theaters Nov of
      2105! Hope to see you all there. And don't forget to bring your great
      great great genetically engineered grand humanoids. Test tube seating
      will be available in the front 2 rows.

      But seriously, modo should have the pick of the litter in their
      implementation choices...I mean they can evaluate the graphics pipeline
      from a 21st century perspective without resorting to a major rewrite of
      their code. And in truth, I think a lot of the really important stuff
      is in optimizations and filtering/sampling and other aspects of image
      quality. It's the boring things like faster algorithms and memory
      efficiency that makes the increasing complexity of 3d graphics
      possible. Those things just aren't very sexy looking in ads.
    • pkuykendall2001
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 8, 2005