Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Once a Lutheran pastor, now an Orthodox priest

  • David MIELKE
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      I am a new "Lutheran Looking East" participant and an ELCA pastor. I am also another "Dave" on the list. I have been on my Eastward journey for more than a decade asking myself the question, "Can I be Orthodox and remain Lutheran?" Doctrinally, yes, if the only doctrine of Eastern Orthodoxy is the ancient understanding of our Trinitarian God. Liturgically and Sacramentally my congregation mirrors much of what is practice in Western Orthodoxy. YOu would quickly notice the creed sans the filioque, unified immersion Baptism, Chrismation and Holy Communion, and other changes from ELCA liturgical practice. But eventually I am going to have to "fish or cut bait" before long given the continual heterodoxical drift in the ELCA.

      Regarding Protestant clergy coming over to the East, it is probably a bit misleading for Chris to suggest the OCA requires more than does the AOC. My understanding is that the AOC does accelerate ordination if a pastor is bringing his entire congregation into the OCA.
      But the primary route for other pastors is the St. Stephen's Course of Study, in which I am currently enrolled. It is three years in length, very comprehensive, accountable through examinations, and requires three late summer weekly residences at the Antiochian Village in Pennsylvania. This three year period is providing me with the opportunity for reflection on both my faith life both as an individual believer and follower as well as a member of the clergy.

      Dave3 (or maybe 4?)