Best Prayer Book

  • Salvatore Sberna IV
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24 11:19 PM
      So, I'm looking for the Best Orthodox Prayer Book out there. I'm
      currently visiting an Antiochian parish, if that makes any
      difference. Right now it's a toss-up between the Jordanville Prayer
      Book endorsed by the ROCOR and the "Prayer Book for Orthodox
      Christians." Both seem chocked full of stuff...that appeals to
      my "dive right in" mentality. For the time being I'm using an online
      prayer book, but I'd like to get something that I don't have to print
      out and staple. Any recommnedations?

      Sal
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 25 4:11 AM
        I am not familiar with the ROCOR book. I started with the Jordanville
        Prayer Book (when I was still Lutheran). I have tried a few others since
        then and I frequently use "My Daily Orthodox Prayer Book" complied and
        edited by Father Anthony Coniaris but the Jordanville remains my favorite.
        The Jordanville Prayer book text is available online for those who want to
        try before they buy.
        http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm -----R

        On 4/25/07, Salvatore Sberna IV <salsberna@...> wrote:

        > So, I'm looking for the Best Orthodox Prayer Book out there. I'm
        > currently visiting an Antiochian parish, if that makes any
        > difference. Right now it's a toss-up between the Jordanville Prayer
        > Book endorsed by the ROCOR and the "Prayer Book for Orthodox
        > Christians." Both seem chocked full of stuff...that appeals to
        > my "dive right in" mentality. For the time being I'm using an online
        > prayer book, but I'd like to get something that I don't have to print
        > out and staple. Any recommnedations?
        >
        > Sal

      • Brian Fink
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 25 5:04 AM
          Most Orthodox prayer books are variations of each other, with Jordanville being the standard English version (which is ROCOR). Most of the daily prayers are the same in all books. However, some may have the liturgy in it while reducing some of the daily prayers, while others include some special event prayers.

          Chrysostom

          Rosemarie Lieffring <rose.lieffring@...> wrote:
          I am not familiar with the ROCOR book. I started with the Jordanville
          Prayer Book (when I was still Lutheran). I have tried a few others since
          then and I frequently use "My Daily Orthodox Prayer Book" complied and
          edited by Father Anthony Coniaris but the Jordanville remains my favorite.
          The Jordanville Prayer book text is available online for those who want to
          try before they buy.
          http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm -----R

          On 4/25/07, Salvatore Sberna IV <salsberna@...> wrote:

          > So, I'm looking for the Best Orthodox Prayer Book out there. I'm
          > currently visiting an Antiochian parish, if that makes any
          > difference. Right now it's a toss-up between the Jordanville Prayer
          > Book endorsed by the ROCOR and the "Prayer Book for Orthodox
          > Christians." Both seem chocked full of stuff...that appeals to
          > my "dive right in" mentality. For the time being I'm using an online
          > prayer book, but I'd like to get something that I don't have to print
          > out and staple. Any recommnedations?
          >
          > Sal

        • Christopher Palo
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 25 6:21 AM
            > So, I'm looking for the Best Orthodox Prayer Book out there. I'm
            > currently visiting an Antiochian parish, if that makes any
            > difference. Right now it's a toss-up between the Jordanville Prayer
            > Book endorsed by the ROCOR and the "Prayer Book for Orthodox
            > Christians."

            Before I get to your question, Sal, I feel that an introduction is in
            order.

            Christ is Risen! A former Lutheran myself (LCMS), I am privileged to
            (finally) start taking part in this board discussion to give whatever
            mediocre answers I can to really engaging questions. My name is Chris
            Palo (chrismated name, John) and live in Omaha. THis past Sunday was
            the first anniversary of my chrismation and my reception into the Holy
            Orthodox Church.

            Now on to your question, Sal. When I first started coming to the
            Liturgy, I needed something particular to pray while the faithful were
            receiving the Eucharist. I'm not very good at spontaneous prayer, so
            my friend recommended me the "Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians"
            published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery. It is, as you say, full
            of good stuff and the prayers I prayed therein kept me focused during
            that part of the Liturgy. It has a good selection of hymns used
            throughout the year and at special seasons, Akathists and Canons to
            our Lord and the Theotokos. You're not in want of anything. However,
            the English and sentence structure seem awkward at times. Sometimes
            the language becomes quite archaic and you're not sure when to take a
            b reath! In spite of all that, I think that is the best one out there
            an it's not expensive at all.

            I'm Antiochian myself and the Archdiocese also has a prayer book, that
            is a red little paper-back book. It has good stuff in there, but it
            is very simplified and doesn't hold, at least in my opinion, to the
            liturgical tradition of Orthodoxy. It's a good place to start, but if
            your're like me, you always want to do more.

            Whatever you decide to go with Sal, let me encourage you by saying it
            is important, vitally important, to develop a rule of prayer. This
            differs from person to person, but best to start with good habits now
            since it is quite easy to fall away from them.

            He is truly Risen!

            John
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25 6:37 AM
              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Salvatore Sberna IV"
              <salsberna@...> wrote:

              > So, I'm looking for the Best Orthodox Prayer Book out there. I'm
              > currently visiting an Antiochian parish, if that makes any
              > difference. Right now it's a toss-up between the Jordanville Prayer
              > Book endorsed by the ROCOR and the "Prayer Book for Orthodox
              > Christians." Both seem chocked full of stuff...that appeals to
              > my "dive right in" mentality. For the time being I'm using an online
              > prayer book, but I'd like to get something that I don't have to print
              > out and staple. Any recommnedations?
              >
              > Sal

              I use the Jordanville Prayer Book because we tend to use ROCOR
              translations at my OCA parish. I also have the Prayer Book from Holy
              Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA because it is a similar,
              traditional language prayer book following the Greek variations in the
              services and prayers offered. I have this one because the GOA parish
              that I also attend uses many of HTM's liturgical translations. The
              problem, though, is that HTM is not a canonical Orthodox body; they
              were part of GOA, then ROCOR, then they broke away following
              allegations of sexual abuse and started their own jurisdiction that is
              not in communion with any other Church body in the world anymore. So,...

              I would recommend that you use whatever prayer book is used in
              whatever parish you settle yourself in. It is best to be saying the
              prayers at home in the same way you hear them at church.

              Christopher
            • herrdave2_prime
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25 9:17 AM
                What about the Holy Myrbearers hours prayer book for laity from the OCA? It is stated in them it is from Greek. It us loaded with Psalms from the Hours.