Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Re: Implications of intercessory prayers...

  • Anastasia Theodoridis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2009
      Yes, that short but outstanding series by Fr. Gregory deserves our attention for sure.

      We believe the destiny of Christians is to be "conformed to the image of His Son." (Romans 8:29), another way of saying we/they are deified. Filled with the Holy Spirit, members of Christ, glorified, the saints acquire divine characteristics, such as being able to hear us when we pray. (We have saints who had some of these charisms even during their earthly sojourn, those who could bilocate, who could be on the other side of a continent and still know what you were thinking, who could heal by their prayers, etc., etc., etc.) The saints participate in the life of the Holy Trinity even more than they did on Earth, very much more than that, and from their dwelling place within Christ's bosom, they continue their ministries to us.

      Anastasia
      e-mail: anastasiatheo01@...
      blog: http://anastasias-corner.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
        Just a little oddity...that a Greek Orthodox woman would pray to St. Anthony
        for a lost item. I would have thought a Greek Orthodox woman would have
        prayed to St. Phanourios? I recall St. Anthony is the saint the Roman
        Catholics pray to for lost things. Do some of you folks from other
        jurisdictions pray to St. Anthony for lost things?

        By the way, St. Phanourios helped me out of a major jam last summer when I
        was in Europe. The night before I was to leave for a critical business trip
        (leaving from vacation) I had lost my passport. In a wild frenzy I was
        pulling bags out of the trunk of the car, crying my eyes out when I finally
        stopped everything and told my Lutheran husband that I needed to ask St.
        Phanourios for help. I prayed and the passport was at the bottom of the
        trunk under a large suitcase. No reason for it to have been there...but it
        was. My priest calls St. Phanourios a great evangelist.