Re: [LutheransLookingEast] General LCMS view of the Orthodox Church

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2009
      My WELS grandmother calmed my WELS mother down about my conversion: 'He's a
      Christian, isn't he?' This surprised me, but it makes sense given what most
      people get into when they leave church - nothing or something realy kooky
      (New Age) or foreign (Buddhism). Plus, the 'old days' in America weren't so
      monolitically Christian even if they weren;t something non-Christian and my
      grandmother understood this.

      I think there is also a tendency for confessional Lutherans to forget that
      they don't teach that their denominations are 'The Church', but that the
      Church exists beyond these denominational borders. To me this belies the
      official teaching on the visible/invisible church and points to an
      understanding that the Church is real, tangible and physical - regardless of
      whether salvation *may* be had outside of her in some way unknown to us.

      Christopher