Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Implications of intercessory prayers...

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 15, 2009

      If by this you mean requesting the intercessions of those Christians dead in the body but whose souls are alive in the hand of God, the answer is certainly: NO, they have no gift of ubiquity save as God from time to time may send them on some task.  They are however alive to the Holy Spirit Who is everywhere present and the Giver of Life. Presumeably the Divine and Holy Spirit conveys to them our continued affection for them and the sense of our prayers. They in their now more advanced spiritual condition continue more knowledgeably with their unceasing praise and intercession which they lift up to God from under the heavenly altar. Br Finbar

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 15, 2009
        I might add that this sort of thing is exemplified in the NT. In Col 2:5 Paul comments that he is able to see the Colossians' worship and into their spiritual lives, even though he is quite distant physically:

        "Though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing to see your good order and firmness of your faith in Christ."

        This is truly staggering.

        St John comments on the supra-human knowledge God can give through the Holy Spirit: "You have been anointed by the Holy One, and you know all" (Greek oidate pantes), I John 2:20; "His anointed teaches you about everything" (Greek, peri panton), 2:27.

        God does not give everyone these gifts, of course. But if we are at least capable of such knowledge through the Holy Spirit while still sinners on earth, our knowledge once we fall asleep in Christ will be even much greater....beyond what we can understand now.

        Subdeacon Randy

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 28, 2009
          At the risk of sounding impolite, I wish to ask a very Lutheran
          question about a prayer found in the Antiochian Service Book, page
          130, where it exhorts the Virgin Mary:

          "O all-holy Lady Theotokos, light of my darkened soul, my hope, my
          shelter, my refuge, my consolation and my joy; I thank thee that thou
          hast permitted me, unworthy though I be, to partake of the immaculate
          body and precious blood of thy Son. O thou who didst bring forth the
          true Light, give the light of understanding to the eyes of my heart; O
          thou who didst bear the Fountain of Immortality, quicken me who am
          dead in sin. O compassionate Mother of the merciful God, have mercy
          upon me and grant me humility and contrition of heart, and humbleness
          of mind, and deliverance from bondage to evil thoughts. And permit
          me, unto my last breath, to receive, without condemnation, the
          sanctification of these Holy Mysteries, unto the healing of both body
          and soul. Grant me tears of repentance and of confession, that I may
          hymn thee and glorify thee all the days of my life. For blessed and
          glorified art thou unto all the ages. Amen."

          To Protestant ears, this sounds idolatrous, given that only the Triune
          God can provide what its asking for. What am I missing here? To be
          frank, it is this sort of intercessory prayer that is keeping me on
          the fence, as much as the OC draws me.

          Dave

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, randall hay

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 28, 2009
            Father Gregory, former Lutheran pastor now Orthodox priest and maybe even a
            participate here did a series addressing this prayer. The links are:

            http://frgregory.blogspot.com/2008/08/prayer-to-theotokos-ii-post-communion.html
            http://frgregory.blogspot.com/2008/09/prayer-to-theotokos-ii-post-communion.html
            http://frgregory.blogspot.com/2008/09/prayer-to-theotokos-ii-post-communion_08.html
            http://frgregory.blogspot.com/2008/09/prayer-to-theotokos-ii-post-communion_15.html

            Maybe you will find these helpful.-----R

          • Rev. Jon M. Ellingworth
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 28, 2009
              I apologize for not removing the [SPAM] designation on previous posts. I just now realized it was there. I will try to find a way to stop that. New notebook computer with a new OS, still learning its quirks.

              Jon

              "He can no longer have God for his Father, who has not
              the Church for his mother." - St. Cyprian of Carthage

              "O wondrous mystery! One is the Father of all, one also
              the Word of all,and the Holy Spirit is one and the same
              everywhere. And there is only one Virgin Mother;I love to
              call her the Church." - St. Clement of Alexandria

              Rev. Jon M. Ellingworth

              The Lutheran Church of Christ the King
              14 Pine Drive Pawling, NY 12564

              Office 845.855.3169
              Home 845.855.2616
              E-Mail didache@...
              E-Mail pawlinglutheran@...
              Web http://www.pawlinglutheran.org
              Blog http://www.lesteverymanbeblind.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 28, 2009
                We now have two Daves and two Randys involved in the discussion, it seems. This could get confusing.

                I might mention that Orthodoxy has no dogma related to anything except Christ and the Trinity....nothing about Mary apart from Him. (This is unlike Catholicism, with its dogma of the immaculate conception). It is because of her relation to Christ and His virgin birth that she was addressed by the ecumenical councils and given the title "Theotokos." In icons she is normally holding Christ and gesturing toward Him.

                THat prayer can be very effective is an understatement: "The prayer of a righteous man has great power," James 5:16. The prayer of the saints and faithful that God hears is always for our salvation...hence can accomplish "miraculous" things...even like those mentioned the prayer you brought up. As Christopher pointed out so nicely, it's always God working through the saints....

                We should remember too that Scripture speaks of people saving others, with prayer being implicit. Paul says that a believing wife can save her husband (I Pet. 3:1); Timothy saves others as well as himself (I Tim. 4:16). Paul says he has become all things to all men so that he might save some (I Cor. 9:23).

                I'd also like to point out 2 Pet 1:14-5, "....The putting off of my body will be soon....I will see to it that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things."
                Suggestive of personal involvement, wouldn't you say? I mean, how are you going to help people remember things "at any time" when you're dead? Not by a predictable earthly means, obviously.
                If all he'd meant was he wanted people to remember what he was writing he'd have done like Paul and just said "remember to do thus-and-such." He wouldn't have said this about making sure they can remember "THESE" things, whatever they are, at any time after he is dead.

                ---As for good Orthodox patristic reading, there is so much to recommend, since it stretches from the earliest writings to the present.

                As for stuff that can be online as well as hard copy, here are a few personal favorites of mine. I recommend reading the fathers rather than about the fathers:

                * St Ignatius of Antioch, if you haven't read him, is short and incredibly deep.
                * Irenaeus, Against the Heretics, book 4 or 5
                * Athanasius, On the Incarnation, or Life of Anthony if you want a hagiography
                * Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures. This is the earliest catechism....they weren't written down much then since Christianity was a capital offense. (Note there is no reference to the Pope in the earliest extant catechism.)
                *St John Cassian's Conferences. Interviews with leading desert monatics from the 4th (?) century
                * St John of Damascus, Exposition of the Orthodox Faith. 8th century (still no mention of pope)
                * St Gregory of Nazianzus wrote wonderful orations on various topics...short and incredibly deep.
                * Basil the Great: On the Holy Spirit
                * Ambrose: On the Mysteries. Short, very deep.

                All the above are availble in the old ANF/PNF set.

                For newer stuff, I've recently enjoyed books written by Archimandrite Sophrony....any books by or about Elder Paisios, or Elder Porphyrios....probably there are online snippets from the above.

                There is a whole bunch from the intervening centuries, of course, and these are just some of my personal favorites.....

                In Christ,

                Subdeacon Randy