the invocation of the name of Jesus and the faithful departd

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 20, 2008
      from THE JESUS PRAYER by a Monk of the Eastern Church [Fr Lev Gillet], SVS Press, 1987, pp 100-101:

      6, The Body of Christ
      The invocation of the name of Jesus has an ecclesial aspect. In this name we meet all those who are united with the Lord and in the midst of whom he stands. ... To intercede for another is not so much to plead...before God, but rather to apply...the name of Jesus and to unite ourselves to the intercession of our Lord himself for his loved ones.
      It also helps us meet again, in the name of Jesus, the faithful departed. To Martha who professed her faith in the future Resurrection, Jesus replied: "I am the resurrection and the life" (John 11:25). This means that the resurrection of the dead is not merely a future event; that the person of the risen Christ is already the resurrection and the life of all the redeemed; and that instead of seeking, either through prayer or by the memory and the imagination, to establish a direct spiritual contact between our departed and ourselves, we should...reach them in Jesus, where their true life now is, linking the name of Jeus to their own names. These departed, whose life is hidden in Christ, are within the heavenly Church that forms the most numerous of the eternal and total Church.
      In the name of Jesus we meet the saints who bear 'his name on their foreheads" (Rev 22.4), and also the angels, one of whom said to Mary, "Thou shalt call his name Jesus" (Lk 1:31), as well as Mary herself. Let us in the Spirit seek to hear and to repeat the name of Jesus as Mary heard it and repeated it!