Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Crumbs from Holy Bread

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2008
      Scattering in a place where it won't be mistreated (parking lot, near the
      garbage, outhouse, where the dog does its business) is what I have usually
      heard. One place I have heard to scatter it is a cemetary. I have also
      heard of burying it or burning it and burying the ashes.

      It isn't true that anitdoron and blessed bread are 'just bread'. All
      blessed things are to be properly disposed of if not consumed - same with
      blessed palms, flowers, fruit, etc. given at various times of year.
      Officially, the same goes for icons, but the modern profusion of images
      printed off the internet, in bulletins, etc. has put this one to the side.

      Generally, the Russians and Slavs see more of a connection between antidoron
      and prosphora and the communion bread, so they will only receive it after
      fasting (first thing in the morning, after Liturgy but having fasted since
      midnight before). Greeks (and Antiochians) tend to see it as simply
      'blessed' with no special connection with the Communion loaf.

      Todd is correct, no need for a procession to dispose of such things. In all
      things, don't be a weirdo; be respectful.

      Christopher

    • phos_hilarion@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
        Well, you are all no fun! I *was* going to have my kids process with icons and incense but I'll forgo that plan now. :D
        I don't suppose our Lutheran neighbors would appreciate such a thing anyways!

        In all things, don't be a wierdo... that may be a tall order! :)
        Thanks everyone!
        Love you all,
        phos

        To: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
        From: anastasiatheo01@...
        Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:27:37 -0500
        Subject: Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Crumbs from Holy Bread

        Not sure what I'd do in your place! It isn't Holy Communion bread, so no

        elaborate steps need be taken. On the other hand, I wouldn't dump them in

        the garbage, that much I know. Scatter them for the birds? Until

        corrected, I'd probably do that and consider that reverent disposition, too.

        And I *would* take along a handkerchief or a baggy in my purse next time I

        went to church to avoid this problem. Then you could easily consume the

        crumbs.

        love,

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2009
          Howdy!

          In my church we scatter it outside in the flower bed or on the lawn.

          Someplace where people will not walk on it or drive over it. We make
          it accessable to God's creatures.

          Dave

          --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"