Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Crumbs from Holy Bread

  • Todd Harman
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2008
      I would also think more important than how its disposed of would be your attitude toward it. If it is annoying and you simply brush it into the garbage, I would think that wouldn't be the best. But if you prayerfully scatter it for the birds or empty it onto a napkin and eat it or scatter it, that should be fine.

      It's probably not necessary to have a procession complete with insence to scatter it

      Consider your purse to be more holy than before!!!

      Have�a blessed Advent!
      Todd

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2008
        Scattering in a place where it won't be mistreated (parking lot, near the
        garbage, outhouse, where the dog does its business) is what I have usually
        heard. One place I have heard to scatter it is a cemetary. I have also
        heard of burying it or burning it and burying the ashes.

        It isn't true that anitdoron and blessed bread are 'just bread'. All
        blessed things are to be properly disposed of if not consumed - same with
        blessed palms, flowers, fruit, etc. given at various times of year.
        Officially, the same goes for icons, but the modern profusion of images
        printed off the internet, in bulletins, etc. has put this one to the side.

        Generally, the Russians and Slavs see more of a connection between antidoron
        and prosphora and the communion bread, so they will only receive it after
        fasting (first thing in the morning, after Liturgy but having fasted since
        midnight before). Greeks (and Antiochians) tend to see it as simply
        'blessed' with no special connection with the Communion loaf.

        Todd is correct, no need for a procession to dispose of such things. In all
        things, don't be a weirdo; be respectful.

        Christopher

      • phos_hilarion@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2008
          Well, you are all no fun! I *was* going to have my kids process with icons and incense but I'll forgo that plan now. :D
          I don't suppose our Lutheran neighbors would appreciate such a thing anyways!

          In all things, don't be a wierdo... that may be a tall order! :)
          Thanks everyone!
          Love you all,
          phos

          To: LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com
          From: anastasiatheo01@...
          Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:27:37 -0500
          Subject: Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Crumbs from Holy Bread

          Not sure what I'd do in your place! It isn't Holy Communion bread, so no

          elaborate steps need be taken. On the other hand, I wouldn't dump them in

          the garbage, that much I know. Scatter them for the birds? Until

          corrected, I'd probably do that and consider that reverent disposition, too.

          And I *would* take along a handkerchief or a baggy in my purse next time I

          went to church to avoid this problem. Then you could easily consume the

          crumbs.

          love,

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 20, 2009
            Howdy!

            In my church we scatter it outside in the flower bed or on the lawn.

            Someplace where people will not walk on it or drive over it. We make
            it accessable to God's creatures.

            Dave

            --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Orr"