Re: St. John Chrysostom on Salvation by Faith Alone?

  • solascriptura1971
    Message 1 of 68 , Nov 22, 2008
      Yeah, I suppose the differences will come up as I dig deeper into
      this. One that comes to mind concerning justification/salvation is
      free will. I'm pretty sure the Orthodox believe in free will whereas
      the Lutherans don't.

      When you say Jesus didn't "earn" salvation for us, what exactly do
      you mean by that? If salvation doesn't have to be earned (I would
      think "earning" would refer to Jesus paying the debt of man's sin on
      the cross.) then what was the purpose of Jesus's death on the cross?

      I just received the book "Orthodox Dogmatic Theology" by Fr. Michael
      Pomazansky from Amazon today, so hopefully it will answer a lot of
      my questions and I can give the board a rest!

      Thanks for your help Anastasia (et al).

      In Christ
      Bobby

      --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "Anastasia Theodoridis"
      <anastasiatheo01@...> wrote:

      > > Now both of these paragraphs looks
      > > "Lutheran" to me. Maybe I'm
      > > sleepy!
      >
      > The differences probably don't show up until we get into that
      thorny old issue of "Why some and not others?" Lutherans want to
      locate that difference within the inscrutable will of God, whereas
      the Orthodox locate it within the also-deep mystery of Man.

      > A difference also comes up in that, when the Orthodox say
      salvation cannot be earned, they mean *period*, as in, even Jesus
      Christ doesn't *earn* it for us. That's not what He was doing.
      Salvation doesn't have to be earned. It really, truly, is pure gift.

      Message 68 of 68 , Nov 29, 2008
        Bobby, I recalled a couple of questions you'd had, then looked back and found them in this e-mail.

        Orthodox believe that the sacraments and the gospel are generally necessary for salvation.

        We see grace as God coming to us Himself, not something created He gives us (as Catholics believe; you hear them speak of "getting graces"). We see that outpouring of Himself as union with Him, the greatest goal and joy of His creatures. It is His good pleasure to give us that blessing.

        Of course, if you are not able to receive the sacraments (perhaps you die before you are able), or if you are not able to intellectually receive the gospel (for example, babies, retarded people or demented elderly) that is an exception. God doesn't hold it against you if are unable.

        I might add that the piety associated with the sacraments is quite high. For example, all ORthodox are encouraged to say a set of prayers that takes at least an hour before receiving Communion, and must fast from midnight (except for medical reasons) and have confessed "recently."

        If any of His blood is spilled on the floor during liturgy, it is burned. If it spills on a rug the rug is burned; if it spills on tile, you pour a bit of alcohol on and burn it, saying prayers. (Normally you don't give Communion over a carpet for obvious reasons!) No one but a priest, deacon or bishop may touch the altar at any time. We subdeacons are rarely able to touch an object that is sitting on the altar. If you have any sins against anyone on your conscience, you must apologize to the person before receiving Eucharist.

        In baptism you are exorcised, the water is exorcised, and you literally (not figuratively) spit on the devil. You wear a baptismal garment at services then for 40 days, at least in Slavic tradition.

        There are frequent references in Scripture to the "energies" of God. (The Greek term is "energeia.") Comes up something like 40 times in the New Testament, as I recall. This is GOd present in dealing with His creation. It is not His essence, which is incomprehensible, but His actions toward us; how He reveals Himself to His creatures.

        We humans have energies, too. Our body/soul/spirit is our essence; how we move and think and interact with people and things, what we do, is our "energies."

        Roman Catholics hold that God's energies, like His graces, are created things. We ORthodox believe that He Himself is wholly present in His energies; He deals with His creation very directly and personally.

        "As Thou, Father, art in me," Jesus says, "and I in Thee," He prays "that they also may be in us." John 17:20

        It's a bit difficult for us to grasp....however, the Greek term "energeia" predated the New Testament for centuries, and back then the people understood basically what it signified.

        St Gregory Palamas is the saint most associated with the theology of the energies of God.

        Anyhow, hope this helps a bit---

        R.