Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Speedy Intercessor

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
      The Theotokos is like a Rapid Response Unit since she is God's mother, which
      means that he has to listen to her (4th Commandment). So, when we pray to
      her asking for her intercession, she is speedy and quick to help. She
      doesn't dilly dally.

      Other saints are known for their speedy intercession on a range of topics.

      Each of the saints retains a personality and 'style' of their own. They are
      not simply subsumed into a single, holy 'type'. There are as many ways to be
      holy as there are persons that have ever lived. So, some saints (like some
      people) tend to prefer a more hands-off approach, others will just tweak a
      little something here and there, others can be sort of 'dangerous' and
      unpredictable in the help they offer (fools for christ are often like this),
      and others are just straightforward, take charge fix everything in one go
      types.

      Of course, how they help (the effect of the intercession on the one hand and
      on their union with God [deification] on the other) is always according to
      the will or allowance of God in His wisdom. Speedy help may mean allowing us
      to fall - because that is what we needed to learn a lesson unto our
      salvation. Sometimes it is getting sick, losing a job, losing a loved one,
      going through a sort of existential crisis - all as a part of what we need
      to reach the ark of salvation. Salvation is not always comfortable, in fact,
      it usually isn't. CS Lewis has a great little parable about this where a tin
      soldier starts to become human but is afraid, it hurts, etc. because it is
      something totally new. Salvation is death to death, and we have been living
      in death since Adam - it is what we mistake for natural when in fact our
      lives are against our true nature. So, from our perspective, Aslan is not a
      tame lion - but he saved all Narnia.

      Christopher