OSB - Prayer Critique

  • phos_hilarion@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi all,

      Christopher, you had on your blog a nice critique of the OSB but I didn't notice anything written on the Morning and Evening prayers provided in the back of the Bible. (Could be I missed it.) I've recently gotten a copy of the Jordanville and I notice that the OSB and Jordanville don't match entirely. Where are the OSB prayers coming from? (I personally find both resources to be very helpful.)

      Love in Christ,
      your little phos

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        I think the translations are likely different, which can sometimes throw one
        for a loop. Prayer Books are also not set in stone. Most of the prayers
        are taken from various services or patristic texts and some prayer books
        will include this or that prayer the others won't. There are also longer
        and shorter versions. Broadly, there are also differences between Russian
        and Greek practices in such things - the Antiochians generally follow the
        Greek but throw in some Russian due to the diocese's original founding via
        the Russian Church and St. Raphael of Brooklyn.

        The general advice is to use whatever your spiritual father says, or the
        prayers and prayer book generally used in your parish, or whatever allows
        you to be consistent in prayer.

        I prefer the Jordaville Prayer Book, personally.

        Christopher