Re: [LutheransLookingEast] The Bread..Wine!

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2008
      This is an interesting question, David, but not appropriate for this list.
      Lutherans Looking East is a resource to explain Orthodox Christianity to
      those coming from a Lutheran background, whether active or not. We
      purposefully do not seek to define Lutheranism as we aren't Lutherans, we
      also do not seek to actively undermine the faith of Lutherans; we are a
      passive resource about Orthodoxy alone. While questions regarding a
      Lutheran teaching may arise, this is only discussed insofar as it is
      required so as to explain the Orthodox position.

      Fr. Gregory Jensen on his Koinonia blog put this difference well:

      > Unlike proselytizing (which begins not with proclaiming the Gospel but by
      > undermining the faith of those we speak with) evangelism (whether internal
      > or external in focus) requires that we "first understand other people and
      > discern their deeper concerns." As [Patriarch] Bartholomew [of
      > Constantinople] points out "even behind disbelief, there lies concealed the
      > search for the true God."
      >
      > - From Dialectical, Dialogical and Reconciliatory: The Evangelical
      > Imperative<http://feeds.feedburner.com/%7Er/Koinonia/%7E3/429672205/dialectical-dialogical-and.html>

      Obviously, I and other Orthodox converts from Lutheranism are Orthodox for a
      reason. Some of these reasons may be formed in terms of a critique of
      Lutheran teaching or practice, but this is usually either in the initial
      stages of conversion or in reflection after many years of being Orthodox.
      One convert convert to Orthodoxy primarily out of anger at one's old
      confession, and long-term converts to Orthodoxy (and their spiritual
      fathers) know this; one cannot remarry until one's first spouse is 'let go';
      it is imperative that one not 'give up alcohol' only to live life as a 'dry
      drunk' ("when many former drinkers go through the grieving process over the
      loss of their old friend, the bottle, some never get past the anger stage"
      and thus still think and act like alcoholics, just sans alcohol) One can
      only convert to Orthodoxy; the Orthodox Church is the Body of Christ, the
      Mystical Bride of Christ and this is enough beauty to draw anyone to Her -
      there is no need to start by pointing out much of anything regarding others.

      I think your question would be perfect for the Orthodox-Lutheran Dialogue
      list or for any Lutheran pastor.

      Christopher