Re: [LutheransLookingEast] Looking for a good compare/contrast between Lutheranism and Eastern Orthodoxy

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 21, 2008
      I am not sure this is what you are looking for but I found the
      correspondance between the Tubingen Lutherans and Patriach Jeremiah II which
      occurred between 1573 and 1581 to be very revealing, especially when one
      considers that these exchanges took place right during the time the Book of
      Concord was published--so the Lutheranism therein had to pretty much
      represent original Lutheranism.

      What helped me in several instances was to read, not in order as written,
      but follow a single point across all the letters and then go to the next
      point and next.

      This correspondence can be found in the book, Augsburg and Constantinople,
      and was translated by Father George Mastrantonis. You can get it from
      Amazon or you can buy an airline ticket on a flight right after mine...I
      have already lost two copies by leaving them in airplanes! I surely hope
      somebody got some good out of them.-----R

      On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:10 PM, jfowl100 <jfowl100@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for a book or article that does a good job of comparing
      > and contrasting Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox beliefs.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • Jeff Fowler
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
        Thanks for the list and links.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2008
          Thanks. I will order the book.

          I am not sure this is what you are looking for but I found the
          correspondance between the Tubingen Lutherans and Patriach Jeremiah II which
          occurred between 1573 and 1581 to be very revealing, especially when one
          considers that these exchanges took place right during the time the Book of
          Concord was published--so the Lutheranism therein had to pretty much
          represent original Lutheranism.

          What helped me in several instances was to read, not in order as written,
          but follow a single point across all the letters and then go to the next
          point and next.

          This correspondence can be found in the book, Augsburg and Constantinople,
          and was translated by Father George Mastrantonis. You can get it from
          Amazon or you can buy an airline ticket on a flight right after mine...I
          have already lost two copies by leaving them in airplanes! I surely hope
          somebody got some good out of them.-----R

          On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:10 PM, jfowl100 <jfowl100@yahoo. com> wrote:

          > I am looking for a book or article that does a good job of comparing
          > and contrasting Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox beliefs.
          >
          > Any suggestions?
          >
          > Thanks.

        • Travis (Constantine) Stolz
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2008
            I suppose it depends on what you are looking for, which topics, etc.� Quite honestly, though,�I have not found the comparativist approach to be all that helpful.� You simply have�different mindsets, for want of a better word, between Orthodoxy and Lutheranism.� E.g., in After Nine Hundred Years, Congar writes: "The point is not exactly that [the Orthodox] do not have definitions; the point is rather that they do not need them, do not want them at all" (42).� I don't know, then, how helpful�such a book or article would be.

            Another problem, too, is that Luthererans very often imagine they can read the�Fathers, books on Orthodoxy, etc., and say, �We have this, too!�� I did just that for a long time until honesty compelled me to do otherwise.� Again, the comparativist approach is wanting.

            If you want to read something, read Lossky for the Orthodox "side."� For the Lutheran "side," well, I've been�outside Lutheran circles a bit too long to know what to suggest, although it seems to me one cannot go wrong with either the AC or the LC.� If you've truly been bitten by the bug, then I would recommend those works that focus on, say, ecclesiology and anthropology.

            I hope this helps.

            Travis (Constantine)���������

            _______________________
            Travis (Constantine) Stolz
            travis.stolz@...

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 25, 2008
              --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "jfowl100" <jfowl100@...>
              wrote:

              > I am looking for a book or article that does a good job of comparing
              > and contrasting Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox beliefs.
              >
              > Any suggestions?
              >
              > Thanks.

              You might just want to get a copy of an Orthodox Catechism and compare
              it to a Lutheran Catechism.

              Each has concise statements about specific issues/doctrines of the
              faith.

              Dave
            • Dave @¿@¬
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2008
                --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, Dave @¿@¬
                <dnaess@...> wrote:

                > --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "jfowl100"
                <jfowl100@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I am looking for a book or article that does a good job of
                comparing
                > > and contrasting Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox beliefs.
                > >
                > > Any suggestions?
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >

                > You might just want to get a copy of an Orthodox Catechism and
                compare
                > it to a Lutheran Catechism.
                >
                > Each has concise statements about specific issues/doctrines of the
                > faith.
                >
                > Dave

                In my opinion: The reason why it may be so hard to "compare and
                contrast" may be because of the way the "articles of faith" are
                stated.

                Lutherens have the Book of Concord and "that's the way it is."

                Orthodoxy, on the other hand, says (in my experience) "as long as it
                does not run contrary to the Bible, Councils and the Holy Fathers,
                it is acceptable. Orthodoxy has a lot more leeway for different
                experiences in "personal encounters with God" (The Apophatic Way.)

                Dave