Sacrifice!

  • heifromheinola
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2008
      Hello...this is my first posting to this group. I have been wondering
      about the bread & wine that is turned into the body & blood by the Holy
      Spirit.

      Question: 1) This whole re-inactment by the priest...is the priest
      sacrificing Christ again in a bloodless way?

      2)Or, is it an re-inactment of the life of Christ from His birth to the
      crucifixion and that we, as christians, are to remember this act for
      the forgiveness of our sins?

      3) What are the differences between Orthodox and the RCism in this same
      act?

      Some pressing questions that are needed to be answered.

      Thank you.

      david.
    • christopher3rd
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 2008
        There is some discussion of this topic in "Faith and Holiness:
        Lutheran-Orthodox Dialogue, 1959-1994" by Risto Saarinen available on
        Google Books:

        http://books.google.com/books?id=W7zt8S8bMQYC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=orthodox+priest+bloodless+sacrifice&source=web&ots=IpemCc5bOt&sig=xlHB1XTf5rBdjCRza0dEjTv1tZE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA112,M1

        Also in the Common Statement of the 13th Session of the Lutheran â€"
        Orthodox Joint Commission held 2-9 November 2006 in Bratislava, Slovak
        Republic, which can be found here:

        http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:ZYptwjWjpG0J:www.seminaari.net/index.php%3Ftekstinro%3D47%26koko%3D%26paivamaarat%3D%26ot%3D+orthodox+priest+bloodless+sacrifice&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

        In my own understanding, the Divine Liturgy is not a re-sacrificing,
        it is an entering into the single, eternal sacrifice of the Son.
        Remember, time is a created thing. So, Calvary is a sacrifice of the
        eternal now, as well as an event that took place circa 33 AD.

        The Divine Liturgy, as all things in an incarnational religion,
        carries various 'charges'. There is the historical: this act or
        prayer was added for this reason. There is also a mystagogical piety
        that has been seen in the various actions. As in life and in the
        events recorded in the Old Testament, there are no such thing as
        coincidences in liturgics either. The Liturgy has 'carried' or
        'revealed' other meanings fit for different people at different times
        for different purposes. None of this is dogmatized, but mystagogical
        interpretations (and they often contradict each others' schemata) are
        an ancient reality of the Church. Some see, for instance, the Small
        Entrance as the beginning of Christ's work; the Great Entrance is seen
        as the offering on the Cross, etc.

        I have no idea of how the RCC would view any of this, though I would
        assume the Eastern Rite churches would agree with Orthodoxy on these
        broad points.

        Welcome to the list.

        Christopher

        --- In LutheransLookingEast@yahoogroups.com, "heifromheinola"